Where Wolves Run: A Novella of Horror by…

Where Wolves Run: A Novella of Horror (edition 2016)

by Jason Parent (Author)

Info:Corpus Press (2016), 86 pages
Collections:Your library, Read, Read in 2016, Horror
Tags:Horror

Where Wolves Run: A Novella of Horror by Jason Parent

I'm a huge fan of werewolf stories, I'm talking proper werewolves not over-sized puppies playing at being werewolves, so I couldn't resist this one especially as it's written by one of my must read favourite authors.

Where Wolves Run was a unique, interesting and fast read. The pacing of the story kept me on the edge of my seat. I found myself having to resist the urge to peek a little further down the page and having to purposely slow down as I was in a rush to see what happened next. I particularly enjoyed Konrad's character, it was refreshing to have a character who wasn't aware of what was going on and totally unprepared for what was ahead. Konrad having no prior knowledge of what he's dealing with allows the reader to join him on his journey, to learn along with him and to relate to his experience more as a result.

There was one thing that I feel spoiled it a little for me personally and that was how Konrad's father was referred to as Father rather than by his name. It didn't ruin the story but it did make him feel somewhat less of a person. However, it did put more focus onto Konrad so perhaps it was intentional.

I really enjoyed the ending. I usually have an idea of what I want the conclusion to be when reading a book and I love it when things get turned around and an author throws in a twist that takes things in a whole different direction from what I had envisioned. At first I was a little disappointed but as it sunk in I realised that it worked much better than what I had been expecting.

Definitely one I would recommend. ( )
  Scarlet-Aingeal | Dec 9, 2016 |
This fast-paced novella concentrates on two characters: a boy and his father, who reveals himself as a werewolf hunter. While the father is away from home, the boy must find out himself whether the legends and stories about those evil creatures are true...

Offering a slightly different take on the genre, this book did not waste time with a detailed background story or long-winded explanations of the creatures' origin. After the reader is introduced to the characters and the current situation, the main part consists of the hunt - but not that of the werewolf, but of his hunter who is set on destroying the beasts who slaughtered his wife. But will he be able to make it back in time to save his boy?

The ending was partly predictable (with a fifty-fifty chance of the outcome) and I appreciated the author's choice. The plot was very focused and lacking any side-stories, which to others may seem too simple, but I found it highly entertaining. Sometimes less is more, and this is another great example for such a story where every sentence counts and you won't find any dead weight. ( )
  misspider | Jun 20, 2016 |
Review copy

A werewolf novella where the hunter is also the hunted.

No new ground is broken in Jason Parent's entry into this sub-genre, but he does deliver a solid tale with a twist in the final pages, and there are some cringe-worthy moments. "Most of Joren's fingernails, pried loose by Father's dagger, now resided in the bucket. A few were still attached to fingers. A couple of toes, several teeth, and most of an ear completed the collection."

If werewolves are your thing and you're looking for a quick read, Where Wolves Run, might not satisfy your hunger fully, but should be enough to take the edge off.

Where Wolves Run is published by Corpus Press and is available in both e-book and paperback formats. If you subscribe to Kindle Unlimited you can read this book at no additional charge and if you are an Amazon Prime member you can read it for FREE through the Kindle Owners Lending Library.

In his head, JASON PARENT lives in many places, but in the real world, he calls New England his home. The region offers an abundance of settings for his writing and many wonderful places in which to write them. He currently resides in Southeastern Massachusetts with his cuddly corgi named Calypso. He is the author of the novels Seeing Evil, What Hides Within and many published short stories. ( )
  FrankErrington | Jun 2, 2016 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,320,518 books! | Top bar: Always visible