The Daily Stoic: 366 Meditations on Wisdom, Perseverance, and the Art of… (2016)

by Ryan Holiday, Stephen Hanselman

From the team that brought you The Obstacle Is the Way and Ego Is the Enemy, a beautiful daily devotional of Stoic meditations--an instant Wall Street Journal and USA Today Bestseller. Why have history's greatest minds--from George Washington to Frederick the Great to Ralph Waldo Emerson, along with today's top performers from Super Bowl-winning football coaches to CEOs and celebrities--embraced the wisdom of the ancient Stoics? Because they realize that the most valuable wisdom is timeless and that philosophy is for living a better life, not a classroom exercise. The Daily Stoic offers 366 days of Stoic insights and exercises, featuring all-new translations from the Emperor Marcus Aurelius, the playwright Seneca, or slave-turned-philosopher Epictetus, as well as lesser-known luminaries like Zeno, Cleanthes, and Musonius Rufus. Every day of the year you'll find one of their pithy, powerful quotations, as well as historical anecdotes, provocative commentary, and a helpful glossary of Greek terms. By following these teachings over the course of a year (and, indeed, for years to come) you'll find the serenity, self-knowledge, and resilience you need to live well. … (more)

Beautifully packaged daily doses of Stoic wisdom, from the author of The Obstacle is the Way. 'No role is so well suited to philosophy as the one you happen to be in right now.' - Marcus Aurelius

The Stoics' unique blend of practicality and wisdom has been inspiring the most successful among us for centuries, from Roman Emperors to Barack Obama, and most recently via Ryan Holiday's bestselling The Obstacle is the Way. If that book introduced readers to the idea that what is in the way is the way, The Daily Stoic widens our view on the Stoic philosophy and shows that it can be applied to any problem.

From how to manage failure to getting what you want, the ideas of Seneca, Epictetus, Marcus Aurelius and others continue to be vitally relevant to today's doers and thinkers. Here, in bold new translations of the ancient classics, language is stripped down to reveal powerful aphorisms that cut straight to the heart of our day-to-day challenges.

Presented in a page-per-day format, this daily resource of Stoic inspiration combines quotations with calls to further reflection - and action. Arranged topically, this guide features twelve principles for overcoming obstacles and achieving greater satisfaction. It introduces readers to a new daily ritual and new orientation that will bring them balanced action, insight, effectiveness, and serenity.
  Langri_Tangpa_Centre | Feb 9, 2021 |
This was a really good book and I’m glad to have read it. The practice of reading, *copying*, and reflecting on every day’s passage and the passage presented every day was really useful. I’ll keep journaling, of course, and probably make my own little compendium of quotes and statements, but I learned a lot from this book, even if some of the interpretations are a little broad or a little narrow here and there. ( )
  jtth | May 4, 2020 |
This is the kind of book that is life-changing. I admit when I first started reading the Stoics. It was tough to get into, but after a couple of weeks I began to understand the life advice. By the end of the year, I could feel the difference. I was much more relaxed about life in general. I highly, HIGHLY recommend this book. It’s especially good for the troubled times we live in. ( )
  JordanSummers | Mar 31, 2020 |
Yesterday, I completed a year's worth of daily readings from The Daily Stoic by Ryan Holiday. Each day, there was a short passage from the likes of Seneca, Epictetus and Marcus Aurelius and Holiday would give a modern example of practical application. After each reading, I'd just jot down a short reflection on how it all related to me personally. The big take-away is that the term stoic has been misused in modern time. Instead of being dour and depressive, stoicism is a commitment to personal joy through freedom, self-reliance and a commitment to values and reasoned choice. “What we seek, to live well, is found in all places.” (Seneca) ( )
  pmtracy | Dec 17, 2019 |
Valuable refresher (or introduction) to the Stoic worldview with a modern slant. ( )
  Lirmac | Jun 28, 2019 |

Holiday, Ryanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hanselman, Stephenmain authorall editionsconfirmed
"Of all people only those are at leisure who make time for philosophy, only they truly live.l Not satisfied to merely keep good watch over their own days, they annex every age to their own. All the harvest of the past is added to their store. Only an ingrate would fail to see that these great architects of venerable thoughts were born for us and have designed a way of life for us." - Seneca
From Stephen to my beloved Julia, who helped me find joy.
The private diaries of one of Rome's greatest emperors, the personal letters of one of Rome's best playwrights and wisest power brokers, the lectures of a former slave and exile, turned influential teacher.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,456,291 books! | Top bar: Always visible