By Your Side by Kasie West

By Your Side

by Kasie West

This was an okay read, but I didn't think it was up to the author's usual standard. I was excited by the 'locked in a library for a whole weekend' teaser, how wonderful would that be? As it turned out, unfortunately, it could have been any building. Only when Autumn started throwing books at Dax did I think, yes, she actually is in a library.

Basically, the book was dull. While I liked Dax, I wasn't that keen on Autumn and I found the story of Jeff a total waste of time and space. It wasn't necessary. To have a love triangle was painful enough but then, to add insult to injury, one of the guys was in a coma for half of the book!!!??? By far my least favourite Kasie West novel. ( )
  HeatherLINC | May 23, 2017 |
This young adult book is like a retelling of “The Breakfast Club” but with a sequel added.

Autumn Collins is the popular girl from a well-off family in Utah who gets stuck in the library over the weekend with Dax Miller, a “bad boy” - who, it turns out, is not bad at all, but in fact, almost perfect. He is not well known and is misunderstood by the kids in school, who have judged him on erroneous rumors.

At first the two are hostile toward one another, but predictably become allies and perhaps even more than that. When in school, Autumn had convinced herself she wanted the attention of Jeff, a fun boy in her crowd. But Dax makes Autumn feel relaxed, something she hasn’t experienced with anyone else.

Distinguishing the plot a bit is the fact that Autumn has anxiety attacks, for which she takes medication (but doesn’t have any with her in the library) and is a condition that even her closest friends don’t know about. She is hyper-sensitive to what her friends think of what she does and who she is, and guides her life by that. With Dax, she learns there can be another way of living. But needless to say, it takes her almost to the end of the book to have this epiphany.

Evaluation: The writing isn’t all that sophisticated, but the plot line is an enduringly appealing one, especially for teens nowadays, who might not even aware (how can that be?!) of “The Breakfast Club”, the 1985 coming-of-age comedy-drama film written, produced, and directed by John Hughes, with the parts analogous to Autumn and Dax played by Molly Ringwald and Judd Nelson. Or if you are one of the many fans frustrated by no sequel and are always imagining what would come next, this book might appeal to you. ( )
  nbmars | May 12, 2017 |
Definitely 4 stars, maybe even 4.5!! A very easy and cute read! Definitely recommend! ( )
  tabbyisnotacat | Apr 29, 2017 |
Stuck in the pubic library for the weekend two unlikely people find love. ( )
  Nicole_L_Ochoa | Apr 27, 2017 |
***BEWARE OF SPOILERS***

This is my first Kasie West read. I am really glad I bought four other books of hers.

This book is super adorable. Although, I feel like someone wouldn't get locked in the library, much less two people. It seemed pretty unrealistic at that point.

I originally thought the entire book was just going to be in that library. Boy, I was relieved I didn't have to read over 300 pages of that! There's only so much you can write about being in a library!!

Autumn is your typical teenage girl. Except, she has anxiety that nobody knows about. She gets locked in the library when she declares she had to pee after consuming a crap-ton of soda.

Dax is the "bad boy" at school who was rumored to have spent some time in juvie. He isn't what people make him out to be. He's far from it. He's a boy who's scared of commitment and friendships.

When Autumn and Dax end up in the library together, things could have gotten ugly. They didn't. Their time together is actually pretty fun. They play games and learn secrets.

Whilst watching T.V. and eating stolen food, they see a news broadcast that says Jeff (the guy Autumn likes) has been a wreck and she was presumably with him and currently missing. This sends her in a panic attack.

Her and Dax's friendship sort of dwindles from that moment. He's not a real people-person. He likes to be by himself so he can't help to push Autumn away when she tries to spend time with him.

Autumn feels pressured to tell her friends the truth about her anxiety and she's more pressured to tell Jeff that she doesn't like-like him anymore.

All of that ends with Autumn and Dax as a couple. There are a lot more key parts but you can find those out for yourselves!!

I loved Autumn and Dax's relationship. I feel like it's a typical teenage romance though. Especially with Jeff involved. Although, any normal person wouldn't push their crush to another guy, just saying.

I'm really trying to get into YA contemporary books and I feel like this was a really good place to start. Kasie's writing was very easy to read. It took me a little bit to get into the book, though. But as soon as I was in, I didn't want to put it down!!

It's super cute and will make you grin like a dork! ( )
  TiffieKittie | Mar 14, 2017 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,166,687 books! | Top bar: Always visible