By Your Side by Kasie West

By Your Side

by Kasie West

***BEWARE OF SPOILERS***

This is my first Kasie West read. I am really glad I bought four other books of hers.

This book is super adorable. Although, I feel like someone wouldn't get locked in the library, much less two people. It seemed pretty unrealistic at that point.

I originally thought the entire book was just going to be in that library. Boy, I was relieved I didn't have to read over 300 pages of that! There's only so much you can write about being in a library!!

Autumn is your typical teenage girl. Except, she has anxiety that nobody knows about. She gets locked in the library when she declares she had to pee after consuming a crap-ton of soda.

Dax is the "bad boy" at school who was rumored to have spent some time in juvie. He isn't what people make him out to be. He's far from it. He's a boy who's scared of commitment and friendships.

When Autumn and Dax end up in the library together, things could have gotten ugly. They didn't. Their time together is actually pretty fun. They play games and learn secrets.

Whilst watching T.V. and eating stolen food, they see a news broadcast that says Jeff (the guy Autumn likes) has been a wreck and she was presumably with him and currently missing. This sends her in a panic attack.

Her and Dax's friendship sort of dwindles from that moment. He's not a real people-person. He likes to be by himself so he can't help to push Autumn away when she tries to spend time with him.

Autumn feels pressured to tell her friends the truth about her anxiety and she's more pressured to tell Jeff that she doesn't like-like him anymore.

All of that ends with Autumn and Dax as a couple. There are a lot more key parts but you can find those out for yourselves!!

I loved Autumn and Dax's relationship. I feel like it's a typical teenage romance though. Especially with Jeff involved. Although, any normal person wouldn't push their crush to another guy, just saying.

I'm really trying to get into YA contemporary books and I feel like this was a really good place to start. Kasie's writing was very easy to read. It took me a little bit to get into the book, though. But as soon as I was in, I didn't want to put it down!!

It's super cute and will make you grin like a dork! ( )
  TiffieKittie | Mar 14, 2017 |
This was my first Kasie West book, and it will not be my last.

Everyone I have seen/heard talk about this only really says it it about two teens who get locked into a library together. But, this book was about so much more than teens falling in love. It dealt with anxiety disorder, fitting in with your peers, finding yourself, young love, and a child facing his past demons while being in foster care. I really enjoyed the characters and the plot. There were a few times I was starting to get bored, and instantly something new would be thrown my way to pull me back into the story. It kept my interest the while book and I flew threw this in only a few days.

I will say, since I work in the CPS field, I hate when books bring negative looks into foster care and foster parents. I do think she did a good job with not making the group home seem horrible (most books will have a negative twist, but I wish they did not).

Overall, this was a very cute read and I really think it would be excellent for any teen to read. I cannot wait to pick up my next Kasie West book now. ( )
  SimplyKelina | Mar 11, 2017 |
BY YOUR SIDE was an excellent contemporary romance. Autumn has a strong group of friends and a crush on one of them - Jeff. He fits perfectly with her desire to plan and control her life. She is keeping the fact that she has an anxiety disorder from all her friends because she doesn't want them to treat her differently.

One evening, after a study session in the public library, she finds herself locked in when the library closes. Her friends think that she has caught a ride to the party and bonfire with someone else. She's sure they'll come back for her as soon as they realize. But hours pass, and they don't come back.

Just as panic is setting in, she discovers that she isn't alone in the library. Dax Miller is locked in there with her. Even though Dax goes to the same school, she doesn't really know more about him than the various rumors that say he's spent time in juvie.

Dax isn't quick to share his story with her. He is trying to live his life without attachments. A disappearing father and a mother who chose meth instead of him have taught him that attachments cause a lot of pain. He's counting down the days until he's out of the foster care system and can get away from this place.

When she learns that her friend Jeff has been in a car accident and that people thought she was with him and is now dead, she has an anxiety attack that forces Dax to pull the fire alarm, which he was previously reluctant to do, to get her help.

Now free from the library and with Jeff in a coma, Dax pulls away. Autumn is torn between an old friend who likes her and her new friend who doesn't want any attachments. She also has to find a way to manage her anxiety.

I really liked this story. I could sympathize with Autumn who just wanted to be one of the gang and who didn't quite know what to do about this new boy who wrecked all her careful plans but offered her something she didn't know she needed. ( )
  kmartin802 | Dec 24, 2016 |

7 wanted1 pay2 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,296,128 books! | Top bar: Always visible