The Mother of All Questions: Further Reports…

The Mother of All Questions: Further Reports from the Feminist Revolutions (edition 2017)

by Rebecca Solnit (Author)

Member:Citizenjoyce
Title:The Mother of All Questions: Further Reports from the Feminist Revolutions
Authors:Rebecca Solnit (Author)
Info:Haymarket Books (2017), 192 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:E-Audiobook, Feminism, Essays, Rape, TIOLI, 2018

The Mother of All Questions by Rebecca Solnit

A series of essays by the woman who coined the term "mansplaining". She celebrates recent advances in working against rape culture, though without noting #MeToo, because this book predates it (though barely). Some of the things must be embarrassing the author right now - how could she have predicted that Louis C. K., a prime feminist comic, would turn out to be one of the men who would be accused of molesting women he encountered in the workplace? In addition, the amazing movement she discusses has, like so many similar movements, turned out to be less amazing than hoped, as women have lost ground in such areas as the Supreme Court (Brett Kavanaugh) and in several prominent cases that appear to be faltering. In the end, not as much has changed as hoped, and women seem to be retreating to lick their wounds. Still, it is not expected that the author would have a functional crystal ball, since so few of us do. This book is a valuable resource in spite of the misplaced optimism; she is a much-needed voice in the growing feminist literature. My one complaint is one that I rarely make: the book was too short. She could have doubled, even tripled, the length, and it likely would not have worn out its welcome. ( )
  Devil_llama | Dec 26, 2018 |
A set of essays that are all valuable individually, but as a set rather repetitive and narrowly focused. ( )
  KLmesoftly | Nov 18, 2018 |
This collection of essays is divided into two sections: how certain groups in society are silenced and how the power of words impacts the way we understand and navigate our world. Solnit makes complex situations and ideas easily understandable. These essays are well-structured and her arguments clearly articulated. Solnit solidly fits into the category of most influential feminist thinkers and writers of our time. ( )
  redwritinghood38 | Nov 6, 2018 |
There are 11 essays included in Solnit’s latest collection, the largest of which, and certainly the centerpiece of the collection, is a brilliant essay on Silence, which brought to my mind Tillie Olsen’s now classic [Silences] (and Solnit does, of course, reference it). The essay is about all the way we (women and men) are silenced. All of the essays are well-worth reading. I recognized, “The 80 Books that Women Should Not Read” which was originally published on lithub.com and was written in response to Esquire’s list of 80 books men should read. It’s searingly pointed and also amusing, and I had no problems reading it a few more times (and those are the very reasons I don’t read Hemingway, Mailer…etc). Or, how about “Men Explain Lolita to Me” – that was interesting! There’s a 2014 essay “Feminism: The Men Arrive”…well, I could list them all here.

I think Solnit is bloody brillant and she speaks out, with honesty, intelligence and authority. And she oftentimes she can be very witty. I admire her very much. ( )
  avaland | Jul 7, 2018 |
Gosto muito da Solnit, é o segundo livro que leio dela e me apetece o modo que usa a linguagem de maneira mordaz para falar de coisas muito sérias.
O primeiro ensaio (e mais longo do livro) é um pequeno tratado sobre o silenciamento feminino dentro da sociedade patriarcal, Solnit destrincha todas as formas de silenciamento, desde o simples interromper frases numa conversa banal até deliberações da ordem da escuta masculina ao não levar em consideração até uma mulher dizendo não durante o estupro.
Os demais ensaios (bem menores) tratam de literatura, cinema, feminicidio, antropologia, entre outras coisas, todos embasados a partir de uma leitura misógina da mulher na sociedade e bem desconstruídos com a verve da Solnit. Livrão. ( )
  Adriana_Scarpin | Jun 12, 2018 |

In this collection of essays, Solnit offers a timely commentary on gender and feminism. Her subjects include women who refuse to be silenced, misogynistic violence, the fragile masculinity of the literary canon, the recent history of rape jokes, and much more.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,536,078 books! | Top bar: Always visible