Death and Relaxation (Ordinary Magic)…

Death and Relaxation (Ordinary Magic) (Volume 1) (edition 2016)

by Devon Monk (Author)

Member:krau0098
Title:Death and Relaxation (Ordinary Magic) (Volume 1)
Authors:Devon Monk (Author)
Info:OddHouse Press (2016), 324 pages
Collections:Already Read, Your library
Rating:*****
Tags:urban fantasy, fantasy, mythology, mystery

Death and Relaxation by Devon Monk

Previous to reading this book I had read Monk’s Allie Besckstrom series (liked it), House Immortal series (loved it), Broken Magic series (loved it), and Age of Steam series (it was okay). This is the first book in her Ordinary Magic series and I absolutely loved it. This book was just so much fun to read.

Delaney Reed is police chief in the town of Ordinary, a town where Gods relinquish their powers to become mortals and take a vacation. Ordinary also has normal folks and a bunch of tourists who come out for the Rhubarb Festival. When people/gods start dying and rhubarb gets blown up, Delaney knows she’s going to have her hands full. Then Death shows up wanting to take a vacation and things get even weirder.

I loved the idea of this town and the mystery behind the murders. The characters in here were amazing and I loved the witty banter. This book was an excellent balance of world-building, mythology, mystery, magic, and romance.

Delaney and her sisters are intriguing characters that really pull you in. Ordinary itself is absolutely fascinating. The writing was easy to read and the whole package was highly entertaining and amusing.

Overall I really really loved this book and have already purchased the 2nd book in the series. I would highly recommend this series to fans of creative investigative urban fantasy. ( )
  krau0098 | Aug 10, 2018 |
Entertaining urban paranormal book

I recommend this book to anyone looking for a light paranormal read. Some red herrings were obvious but other story threads were less so making a more interesting read than expected. It has the hallmarks of a cozy mystery with a slightly demented cast of characters. I enjoyed it very much.
  Omegawega | Mar 31, 2018 |
Delaney is the oldest of three sisters dedicated to policing the town of Ordinary, Oregon; a town with the not-so-ordinary distinction of vacation land of the gods. As chief of police, she makes sure that the gods and mortals alike abide by the law. As a Reed, she makes sure each god checks his or her power at the city line because while they're in Ordinary, they are mortals. And if one dies while they're in Ordinary, Delaney is the holder of that god's power until she can find a mortal willing to take it on. So when she finally gets a chance at her lifelong crush the same week her ex-boyfriend shows back up, the Rhubarb Festival begins and a god is found dead, Delaney's having bad week.

Really well written with a moderately well-plotted murder mystery, great characters, awesome setting and a really original (I think) premise, I'm surprised the author had to self-publish this. I had a great time reading it. I'd have rated it even higher except I grew frustrated with Delaney's obtuseness when it came to finding the new mortal for Heimdall's powers and I really disliked the trite direction Monk took the romance; it verged on formulaic.

Still, I loved the sisters and I'm a bit worried about how much I liked the character of Death. Why is death always the most interesting character? There's at least one more book, out this month, and it will pain me to do it, but I'll buy it from Amazon if I must; I want to know what happens next. (It's like the Urban Fantasy version of Eureka!) ( )
  murderbydeath | Oct 13, 2016 |
Devon Monk has a new series! Small town politics, family legacies, lost loves, vacationing gods, mysterious deaths, and lots and lots of rhubarb. Be sure to check out this fun new series.

What drew me to this book: I’m a big fan of Devon Monk; I love her Allie Beckstrom and House Immortal series. So when I saw she had a new series coming out, I was pretty excited. Plus, the cover, designed by Lou Harper, is lovely.

Why I kept reading: Death and Relaxation is a lighter series than I’m used to from Monk, but I really liked it. It’s a murder mystery, a light urban fantasy, and a bit of paranormal romance all in one book.

The small town of Ordinary is home to many things—the Reed family, the Rhubarb festival, and every type of supernatural creature and divine immortal imaginable. The Police Chief, Delaney Reed, gets to deal with it all, including vacationing gods, old boyfriends, the death of a god, and the rehousing of the god’s power. Oh, and judging the Rhubarb festival—and she doesn’t even like rhubarb.

At one point, I thought I had the romance part of this book figured out; but I was totally wrong. At least, so far. I never did have the murder figured out. I like that! The end of the book hints that there are much bigger things in store for Ordinary. With so much going on in this small town, I have no doubt there will be more good things to come.

Why I recommend it: Monk’s new book is great entertainment. It gives you a little taste of several genres and the mystery is unpredictable. The town and characters are interesting and quirky, as you might expect from a small town. The ending is satisfying and yet hints that things are about to get serious. I’m really looking forward to the next book. ( )
  InvestedIvana | Jun 21, 2016 |

"Monsters, gods, and murder... Police Chief Delaney Reed can handle the valkyries, werewolves, gill-men and other paranormal creatures who call the small beach town of Ordinary, Oregon their home. It's the vacationing gods who keep her up at night. With the famous rhubarb festival right around the corner, small-town tensions, tempers, and godly tantrums are at an all-time high. The last thing Delaney needs is her ex-boyfriend reappearing just when she's finally caught the attention of Ryder Bailey, the one man she should never love. No, scratch that. The actual last thing she needs is a dead body washing ashore, especially since the dead body is a god. Catching a murderer, wrestling a god power, and re-scheduling the apocalypse? Just another day on the job in Ordinary. Falling in love with her childhood friend while trying to keep the secrets of her town secret? That's gonna take some work"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,285,036 books! | Top bar: Always visible