The Elders (Foxcraft, Book 2)

The Elders (Foxcraft, Book 2) (original 2016; edition 2016)

Series: Foxcraft (2)

1051216,324 (4)2
FORMAT: 6 CDs, UnabridgedNARRATOR: Stephanie DrakeIsla's search for her missing brother, Pirie, has brought her to the vast Wildlands. The forest is a treacherous place for a fox cub, but Isla is talented in foxcraft -- ancient arts of cunning known only to her kind.Skilled though she is, Isla's grasp of foxcraft is still new. And she's not alone... A cruel and mysterious fox stalks the forest, with the power to enslave others to his will. In order to survive, Isla must learn to trust in the rustic Wildlands foxes.But there are tales of others -- a council of Elders who are masters of foxcraft, and who warily guard its most potent secrets. If Isla wishes to master her gifts and find her brother, then the Elders may be her only hope.… (more)
Member:mloshkosh
Title:The Elders (Foxcraft, Book 2)
Authors:
Info:(2016)

Work Information

The Elders (Foxcraft, Book 2) by Inbali Iserles (2016)

A book that forgets its own lore and world-building for the last five chapters and throws itself at a wall a few times. When I picked this up, I was thinking it would pick up, being the second book of a trilogy. That's a lot to offer, more foxcraft, more action.

Instead the book decides to bend things, and drop things.

Much like book one, it almost gets you hyped for things, but any hype will end in little pay off. Things don't ever seem to fully get over that ramp the chapters are building themselves up to. It drags and feels like some parts are repeated from the first book.

Characters in this book exist for three reasons, to die, or to cop out and split or finally, to part ways. They get fake out near deaths or bs reasons to not follow the main character where she goes, almost as if that will aid the author in raising the stakes for the final book, which I'm almost done with. It didn't.

Nearing the end of the book, all use of the word brush -the books word for fox tail(which is abused more in this book than book one and will annoy people if they pay attention to how often its used) it vanishes almost entirely, appearing perhaps twice during the last five chapters, a jarring change to the writing flow and a very sudden lack of their language being used.

Likewise the biggest flaw I've seen comes into play, and I don't mean the main character's lust for her brother that is nearly every other page or every time she looks at a male. The rules of the world either do not apply to the main character at all, or they bend to apply to her. She is told their magic cannot do some things, and immediately does it, only stopped because she gets distracted, not because the rules forbid it.

There is only one book left, and I doubt it can redeem this trilogy. ( )
1 vote Yolken | Nov 3, 2019 |

Belongs to Series

For my parents, Dganit and Arieh Iserles--wisest elders in all the lands.
I didn't stop when I heard the scream.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,163,294 books! | Top bar: Always visible