dismiss

Unsouled (Cradle Book 1) by Will Wight

Unsouled (Cradle Book 1) (original 2016; edition 2016)

by Will Wight (Author)

Series: Cradle (1)

Sacred artists follow a thousand Paths to power, using their souls to control the forces of the natural world.Lindon is Unsouled, forbidden to learn the sacred arts of his clan.When faced with a looming fate he cannot ignore, he must rise beyond anything he's ever known...and forge his own Path.
Member:lachapakhan
Title:Unsouled (Cradle Book 1)
Authors:Will Wight (Author)
Info:Hidden Gnome Publishing (2016), 294 pages
Tags:ebook

Unsouled by Will Wight (2016)

I need another fantasy series like I need another hole in my head. That being said, there is no fantasy series like this one. I described it to someone as loser makes good, magic meets kung fu, but of course it's more than that. Kind of a slow burn, but the payoffs were so worthwhile and flat out cool. Mr. Wight, you know what you're doing and I'm late to the party, but I'm with you. ( )
  e.b.soucy | Jan 7, 2020 |
This story is reminiscent of classic wu xia Chinese adventure novels. If a book that reads in part like the screenplay for a kung fu movie fused with sci fi elements and a coming-of-age tale sounds like your cup of green tea, this won't disappoint. ( )
  crimeminister | Jun 20, 2019 |
As of today, February 24th, 2018, Will Wight's Unsouled is free on Amazon as an ebook. You should go get it right now.

Did you get it? Good. This was a really, really fun book, and I can't believe Wight is just giving it away. Well, I guess I can, because I'm having a hard time not immediately buying the other three books in the series. I suppose they call this kind of thing a YA novel now, but I still think of them as juvenile novels, following Heinlein's classic formulation: a protagonist on the cusp of growing up, no sex scenes, a lot of details about magic/technology/etc., and some mildly didactic life lessons.

This book was marked as martial arts by Amazon, which I suppose it is. Unsouled has the same faux-Asian flair as Avatar: The Last Airbender. The last time I reviewed a novel with a martial arts theme was nine years ago, so I wasn't quite sure what I was getting myself into. As it turns out, I liked Unsouled quite a bit.

Unsouled is a fantasy book with a hint of Clarke's Third Law about it's system of magic/martial arts/self-improvement. For me, a large part of the fun of this kind of book is seeing how the author puts together his system. Wight's system, based on madra, vital energy, is as good as any I've seen. Internally consistent enough to make sense without breaking the suspension of disbelief, and still esoteric enough to make it feel like you gotta really work at mastering it.

The other thing that is really fun about a book like this is the way we get to see Lindon grow up. YA novels, coming of age, juveniles, whatever you want to call them, are a part of the great chain of becoming for many a young woman or man. I read many of them myself, and I suspect they helped me along the way. To the extent such books can help inculcate even a small measure of perseverance or self-reliance or the willingness to try just a little harder, then they have served their purpose well.

I enjoyed this book, and I would gladly give it to any of my own children for a bit of entertainment with a side of self-improvement. Highly recommended. ( )
  bespen | Feb 24, 2018 |

Is contained in

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 143,752,224 books! | Top bar: Always visible