Kindred: A Graphic Novel Adaptation

by Octavia E. Butler, Damian Duffy (Adapter), John Jennings (Illustrator)

Other authors: Pamela Notarantonio (Designer), Nnedi Okorafor (Introduction)

Instant #1 New York Times Bestseller Octavia E. Butler's bestselling literary science-fiction masterpiece, Kindred, now in graphic novel format. More than 35 years after its release, Kindred continues to draw in new readers with its deep exploration of the violence and loss of humanity caused by slavery in the United States, and its complex and lasting impact on the present day. Adapted by celebrated academics and comics artists Damian Duffy and John Jennings, this graphic novel powerfully renders Butler's mysterious and moving story, which spans racial and gender divides in the antebellum South through the 20th century. Butler's most celebrated, critically acclaimed work tells the story of Dana, a young black woman who is suddenly and inexplicably transported from her home in 1970s California to the pre-Civil War South. As she time-travels between worlds, one in which she is a free woman and one where she is part of her own complicated familial history on a southern plantation, she becomes frighteningly entangled in the lives of Rufus, a conflicted white slaveholder and one of Dana's own ancestors, and the many people who are enslaved by him. Held up as an essential work in feminist, science-fiction, and fantasy genres, and a cornerstone of the Afrofuturism movement, there are over 500,000 copies of Kindred in print. The intersectionality of race, history, and the treatment of women addressed within the original work remain critical topics in contemporary dialogue, both in the classroom and in the public sphere. Frightening, compelling, and richly imagined, Kindred offers an unflinching look at our complicated social history, transformed by the graphic novel format into a visually stunning work for a new generation of readers.… (more)

An unflinching, complex, and moving narrative. ( )
  lochinb | Jun 3, 2021 |
I felt like this was true to the novel.
Now can we get the rest of her published works in graphic novel form? The Parable novels are quite relevant in today's political climate. ( )
  LoisSusan | Dec 10, 2020 |
This was a hard story to read the first time around. As a graphic novel, it's even harder. Partially because I knew what was coming, and partially because the art depicted the most horrific scenes in a way my imagination never could.

This adaptation did the original novel justice. The plot was perfectly preserved, and the art was hard, gritty, and angular. It wasn't a pretty graphic novel, and it wasn't a pretty story.

Those who have already read Kindred will be pleased with how the story translated. Those who haven't will feel punched in the soul... much like I did the first time, and again reading it again as a graphic novel.

Review copy courtesy of the publisher via NetGalley. ( )
  wisemetis | Dec 7, 2020 |
This is the first thing I've read from Octavia Butler which kind of feels like blasphemy, but I said "first" because I am planning on remedying that. This graphic novel didn't blow me away, but it did make me very curious about what the book is like - I feel like there's a lot more emotionality in this story than what I got here. The art was not my preference, and I feel that a lot of what was meant to have a strong impact didn't. I'll read the novel and see if I'm right. ( )
  katebrarian | Jul 28, 2020 |
It took a bit to get into kindred. It was very slow going and I felt like I would’ve preferred the novel to the graphic novel because it was a bit hard to understand what was going on. The more you read the more of the story envelopes you and makes you want to continue. Why is this woman going back in time? How come fear and pain keeps taking her back to this one child? Why does time pass in merely seconds/minutes/hours in modern time but could be years in historical time? Why do things go back-and-forth with them like bags and knives and whips and lashes and marks? The graphics are phenomenal . The artwork is amazing and this book gives you a feeling of real history. The story is so complete I don’t feel the need to read the novel but I think eventually I probably will. I understand why this is one so many awards why it’s been on so many best of the best lists. It deserves it and it’s brought new people to the world of Octavia Butler. Definitely a great read that I will recommend to others. ( )
  LibrarianRyan | Mar 31, 2020 |

Butler, Octavia E.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Duffy, DamianAdaptermain authorall editionsconfirmed
Jennings, JohnIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Notarantonio, PamelaDesignersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Okorafor, NnediIntroductionsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is an adaptation of

I lost an arm on my last trip home.
This is the graphic novel adaptation. Do not combine with the novel.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,911,499 books! | Top bar: Always visible