Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Just So Stories (100th Anniversary Edition):…

Just So Stories (100th Anniversary Edition): Illustrated First Edition (original 1902; edition 2020)

by Rudyard Kipling (Author)

7,86672855 (4)1 / 193
A collection of the well-known stories, including "How the Whale Got His Throat," "The Elephant's Child," and "The Butterfly that Stamped."
Member:nickfoettinger
Title:Just So Stories (100th Anniversary Edition): Illustrated First Edition
Authors:Rudyard Kipling (Author)
Info:SeaWolf Press (2020), 164 pages

Work Information

Just So Stories by Rudyard Kipling (1902)

English (69)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  All languages (72)
A short, fun read of the book I've been thinking about since I read [b:The Jungle Book|77270|The Jungle Book|Rudyard Kipling|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327873594s/77270.jpg|17441265]. My parents read these to me when I was young, and I read them again when I was old enough. I was quite surprised by how many big and not-quite-correctly used words there were, considering that I read this long enough ago that I don't remember how old I was at the time (I'm usually good at remembering that sort of thing).

Surprise, surprise, my favorite story was The Cat that Walked by Himself, one I remembered best from my past reads. Also fun were The Beginning of Armadillos and the Sing-Song of Old Man Kangaroo. I did discover where my expectation of overt racism in The Jungle Book came from ("Malazy", really?), and while I can't say that was a happy surprise, I have always liked animal origin myths.

While this book is physically beautiful--gorgeous illustrations in black and white with the occasional glossy page insert, nice thick pages--I was surprised at how sloppy the interior was. Words were missing letters, some had been broken by syllable in order to break onto the next line but they fit on a whole line even with the dash in the middle. I've noticed similar things in a few prettified editions, like the most recent version of Neil Gaiman's [b:Neverwhere|14497|Neverwhere|Neil Gaiman|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348747943s/14497.jpg|16534]. Seems like the complete opposite of what you'd want to do with a decorative edition, and yet...

Anyway, pretty book with fun stories when taken with a teaspoon of salt. ( )
  books-n-pickles | Oct 29, 2021 |
Audiobook version was splendid. ( )
  jscape2000 | Jul 30, 2021 |

Publishers Note to the 1978 Edition: The language and references are those of Kipling; though they are no longer in vogue, they are of historical interest and literary note. ( )
  librisissimo | Jul 7, 2021 |
fables/children's short stories. Kipling's classics performed by Carl Reiner. I thought these were great, but tended to fall asleep during the last 3-4 longer stories--probably better to take a break in between if you suffer from sleepiness/short attention span like I do. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
Contents (* indicates stories that are in "Favorite Just So Stories"): *How the Whale got his Throat; *How the Camel got his Hump; *How the Rhinoceros got his Skin; *How the Leopard got his Spots; *The Elephant's Child; *The Sing-Song of Old Man Kangaroo; *The Beginning of the Armadilloes (sic); How the First Letter was Written; How the Alphabet was Made; The Crab that Played with the Sea; The Cat that Walked by Himself; The Butterfly that Stamped. ( )
  librisissimo | Jul 3, 2021 |
My copy of Just So Stories, in it's brick-red cover with the Elephant's Child straining away with all his might to escape the jaws of the Crocodile on the banks of "the great grey-green, greasy Limpopo River", the Bi-Coloured-Python-Rock-Snake in close attendance was the first book I truly loved. ... Kipling has an Aesopian understanding of animals, our dealings with them and our curious interrelatedness, interdependence, how we can learn about our own strange behaviour, our vanities and our foolishness through them and through our relationship with them.

Han skriver med lätt hand och bitvis är det i bästa brittiska nonsenstradition, men i sin helhet förstås långt bort från Lewis Carrolls självklara genialitet. Barnen roas med vilda påhitt, verser, upprepningar och konstigheter.

I god sagoanda förväntar man sig att landa mjukt i sensmoralens klokskap. Men hos Kipling landar man hårt. När den lilla elefantungen som ständigt blir bestraffad för sin frågvishet tillägnar sig sin snabel, då är det för att ge igen för den misshandel han utstått.

[B]erättelserna är utformade med en sådan språklig uppfinningsrikedom – väl tillvaratagen av översättaren – att även mycket frågvisa lyssnare torde frestas att hålla tyst för att inte missa nästa fantasieggande formulering.

I framställningen paras gulligt nosens med det lösligt högtravande, vilket stundtals gör att berättelserna får drag av tidig surrealism.

Visst riktar sig boken till unga läsare, fast den är skruvad på ett sådant vis att även vuxna har stort utbyte av den.

Kipling, Rudyardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Puttapipat, NirootIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reiner, CarlNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taylor, SallyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, HelenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the sea, once upon a time, O my Best Beloved, there was a Whale, and he ate fishes.
on the banks of the great grey-green greasy Limpopo river
"'Son, son!' said his mother ever so many times, graciously waving her tail..."

Twelve stories about animals and insects including How the Camel Got His Hump; How the First Letter was Written, and How the Rhinoceros Got His Skin.

Legacy Library: Rudyard Kipling

Rudyard Kipling has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Rudyard Kipling's legacy profile.

See Rudyard Kipling's author page.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141183624, 0141321628, 0141328398, 0141442409

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 140010064X, 1400108675

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,316,725 books! | Top bar: Always visible