Waking Gods: Book 2 of The Themis Files by…

Waking Gods: Book 2 of The Themis Files (original 2017; edition 2017)

by Sylvain Neuvel (Author)

Title:Waking Gods: Book 2 of The Themis Files
Authors:Sylvain Neuvel (Author)
Info:Del Rey (2017), Edition: First Edition, 336 pages
Collections:Tim's Books, Your library

Waking Gods by Sylvain Neuvel (2017)

The second book in the series picks up 10 years after the end of the first. A alien robot appears and our familiar main characters return to try to save the world. **SLIGHT SPOILER*** Two of my favorite characters have unexpected endings that I didn't love in this book. I know that I'll miss them in the third book. **SPOILERS OVER***

I am looking forward to reading the final book in the series when it is released. I absolutely adore the audio versions of this entire series. There is a full cast and it works so well with the interview/journal style of the narrative. I don't know that I would have enjoyed it nearly as much if I'd read it in print.

"Kara is a smart woman. She knows there are many ways to be a good mother." ( )
  bookworm12 | Feb 20, 2018 |
"Waking Gods" takes Neuvel's new sci-fi series in surprising and interesting directions. Personally, it doesn't quite live up "Sleeping Giants" but it's still an entertaining read.

This book attempts to focus on the events and reactions on Earth following the arrival of more alien robots. However, I wish we had more of the characters we already have come to know. Characters go missing for chapter after chapter, and others make appearances that feel more like cameos than real interactions.

"Waking Gods" provides plenty of alien fights and giant robot action, however. It presents interesting scenarios and imaginative weapons little used elsewhere in science fiction.
  AaronFromKansas | Feb 7, 2018 |
When I received the ARC for this novel, it was all I could do to wait until the release day to read it. I generally try to read ARCs close to their publishing date, but it was a struggle for me to wait for this one. I absolutely LOVED Sleeping Giants, and I've been waiting for so long to find out what the author had in store for the sequel. So thank you to the author, publishers, and NetGalley for allowing me access to this ARC in exchange for my honest review!

When I compare this novel to the first one in the series, I have to admit that it wasn't as good. That being said, this novel was really really cool and it took the story in a direction I wasn't expecting. The author did a good job of resolving a lot of questions from the first book in this one, and that felt sooooo satisfying to me; I hate unanswered questions! He also left me with a lot more questions, which I HOPE will be answered in another book! There were a couple new characters introduced, and they were nice additions to the story. There was also the brief return of other characters into the plot line, and this was done in a very nice, cohesive way. I'm going to give a mini-spoiler here: some characters die. Their deaths made me really really sad, especially because I really liked them. However, I'm curious to see how this series will move in the next installment (which I hope will be released soon)! This novel had a lot of action, a lot of science, and enough confusion to keep the reader intrigued and perplexed, in the best way possible. I'm really in love with the author's writing style, as the novel continues to be written in interview, letter, and email format; it just makes for such an interesting read. If you liked the first book, you are going to have a great time with this one. And if you like science fiction, and alien robots, then you need to get this series on your must-read list!

For more reviews, visit: www.veereading.wordpress.com ( )
  veeshee | Jan 29, 2018 |
A very good sequel with somewhat different challenges. Sort of reverse cliff-hanger. ( )
  quondame | Dec 2, 2017 |
Almost a decade has passed since the events of Sleeping Giants, when Rose Franklin and her team hunted down and assembled the pieces of the giant alien robot known as Themis. Rose has dedicated her time to studying Themis, and Kara and Vincent have continued to try to master operating her. Then another robot materializes in the middle of London, and the government’s response inevitably leads to a deadly confrontation. The appearance of Hyperion also drives home how little the Earth Defense Corps really knows about Themis’ combat capabilities. And that knowledge will be more necessary than ever when more robots begin to materialize around the globe, in the world’s most populous cities. The aliens know that humanity has found Themis, and they are not happy about it.

The structure of Waking Gods continues in the interview format Sylvain Neuvel used with great success in Sleeping Giants, with the unnamed character who I always think of as the Interrogator resuming his contact with the Earth Defense Corp after a long silence. Neuvel continues to work this technique, for example by having General Govender practice his speech to the UN General Assembly for the Interrogator before he delivers it. This in fact makes for a more interesting scene than simply witnessing the speech directly, as we gain insight into the Interrogator through the changes he suggests. However, as the situation on Earth descends into chaos, the narrative structure devolves in parallel, taking on more of a transcript style than an interview format. Everything is falling apart, and the style mimics that. We do, however, find out more about the mysterious Interrogator, and his even more mysterious friend Mr. Burns.

It has been nine years since Rose Franklin returned from the dead, mysteriously missing three years of her life and memories. For all that time she has struggled with what this rebirth means, whether she is really Rose Franklin, or merely a copy with some of her memories and knowledge. That doubt has been eating away at her stability for nearly a decade, but when the robots begin to appear, and Themis is called into action, it is the world that has become unstable, and Rose who must hold steady in the face of the unknown. Her development is one of the most interesting aspects of this series.

One of the more disturbing plotlines picks up a dangling thread from Sleeping Giants. Before being ousted from the Earth Defense Corps, geneticist Alyssa Papantoniou harvested ova from Captain Kara Resnick without her knowledge or consent. Kara has never been informed about this violation, because those who knew about it decided that the situation had been taken care of with Alyssa’s removal. When it turns out that Alyssa may have had time to act on her plans before her ouster, they continue to delay telling Kara what was done to her as they try to confirm whether or not Alyssa succeeded. If I can get a little bit spoilery here for the remainder of this paragraph… I absolutely loathe plotlines where women who are childless by choice are forced into motherhood. And I especially hate the implication that their choice was just due to some sort of damage, and really they would be great mothers. In short, I really did not enjoy how Kara’s character was developed in this volume.

In Waking Gods, the genre elements of Sleeping Giants are intensified, and the plot becomes more fast-paced. There is now no question that Themis has alien origins, or that aliens visited earth long ago, and that some of them stayed behind. Waking Gods explores the fallout of these conclusions, but also the more dramatic effects of the aliens becoming aware of how humanity has developed since their last contact. At the same time, the aliens are not significant characters, since this is really an exploration of what it means to be human. Although the duology stands well together, the epilogue hints at the possibility of further adventures.

Originally published at Required Reading: https://shayshortt.com/2017/07/04/waking-gods/
  sshortt | Nov 23, 2017 |
Voor Barbara en Han Solo.
Luister Barbara, je bent mijn rots in de branding, mijn alles, maar Han is dood! Je vindt het toch niet erg om met hem te delen?

Melissa heeft vandaag op school de draak met me gestoken.
Vanochtend is midden in Regent's Park een metalen gestalte van twintig verdiepingen hoog verschenen.

"26 years ago: A girl in South Dakota falls through the earth, then wakes up dozens of feet below ground on the palm of what seems to be a giant metal hand. 9 years ago: She is a top-level physicist leading a team of people to understand exactly what that hand is, where it came from, and what it portends for humanity. Today: with the remainder of the giant robot found and assembled, every question answered about the mysterious contraption raises two more. But the team behind the greatest discovery of the last millennium might be out of time when a second robot suddenly appears, looming over downtown London"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,076,139 books! | Top bar: Always visible