Waking Gods: Book 2 of The Themis Files by…

Waking Gods: Book 2 of The Themis Files (original 2017; edition 2017)

by Sylvain Neuvel (Author)

Member:tag100
Title:Waking Gods: Book 2 of The Themis Files
Authors:Sylvain Neuvel (Author)
Info:Del Rey (2017), Edition: First Edition, 336 pages
Collections:Tim's Books, Your library
Rating:*****

Waking Gods by Sylvain Neuvel (2017)

English (52)  Dutch (1)  All languages (53)
Just as the first in the series, this one had a bit of a slower start. Once I was maybe 1/4 of the way through, though, I could not put it down. It is incredible to me that this is Neuvel’s second book, because it honestly reads as a seasoned author. I am dying to know what happens next, and I will be counting down the days until the release of Only Human! ( )
  distantiation | Dec 3, 2018 |
As good as the first book. ( )
  JulesGDSide | Nov 29, 2018 |
The audiobooks for this series have thus far been incredibly well done. That said, there were some writing choices that might've looked fine in print, but are jarring and unpleasant in the spoken word. ( )
  Ubiquitine | Nov 24, 2018 |
I enjoyed this book but I didn't love it as much as Sleeping Giants. I think the reason for this is that this second volume is much darker previous book and the body count is huge.
The overall feeling of this book is of the sense that we are all going to die and soon with not a huge amount of hope. It all gets darker and darker until the last 50 pages or so, when it all lightens up considerably, which was a relief.
This is a good second volume, it is fast paced and engaging and well written with interesting characters. I just can't wait for the third book to find out what happens to the world.

For the full review check out my blog: Engrossed in a Good Book ( )
  CharlotteBurt | Nov 24, 2018 |
What Made Me Read It It's the sequel to "Sleeping Giants", the rightful owners of the giant mecha pay us a visit and they are not happy campers.
The Good "Waking Gods" is written in the same format as "Sleeping Giants" - a mix of interview transcripts, news reports, scientific testing, doctor’s notes, emails, letters and journal entries. Again, we lose nothing as we follow the events in real time through blunt back and forth dialogue alone. Most of the characters we met in the first book are back and we glimpse more of their backstories, their strengths and their flaws. We also meet new characters, the most important of all Eva Reyes, a 10 year old girl who has visions of dead people everywhere. "Sleeping Giants" was focused on scientific discovery, man’s greediness and the political ramifications of piecing together a giant mysterious robot. "Waking Gods" is a much darker book than its predecessor, centered on the disastrous consequences when beings from outer space come into play (as the creators of Themis make contact with humanity), and exploring mankind’s penchant for violence as a first reaction to a threat, power grabs and revenge. Once again, it is an insightful look at society at its weakest and the very real consequences of any decision made.
Read the full review on: https://literaryportals.blogspot.com/2018/07/book-review-waking-gods-themis-files-2.html
Final Rating "Waking Gods" is a thought-provoking piece of science fiction that dabbles with biology, genetics, physics, astronomy and extraterrestrial life. But it's also full of twists, suspense, mystery, action, and intriguing characters. There's a perfect balance between factual and fictional science, love and loss, soul-searching and ethical conundrums but also plenty of humor. The conclusion wraps up the central events of the book while dropping another tantalizing cliffhanger for the next and final book. Recommended for those who enjoy stories involving giant mecha and alien invasion. ( )
  LiteraryPortals | Nov 9, 2018 |
Voor Barbara en Han Solo.
Luister Barbara, je bent mijn rots in de branding, mijn alles, maar Han is dood! Je vindt het toch niet erg om met hem te delen?
Proloog

Melissa heeft vandaag op school de draak met me gestoken.
Vanochtend is midden in Regent's Park een metalen gestalte van twintig verdiepingen hoog verschenen.

"26 years ago: A girl in South Dakota falls through the earth, then wakes up dozens of feet below ground on the palm of what seems to be a giant metal hand. 9 years ago: She is a top-level physicist leading a team of people to understand exactly what that hand is, where it came from, and what it portends for humanity. Today: with the remainder of the giant robot found and assembled, every question answered about the mysterious contraption raises two more. But the team behind the greatest discovery of the last millennium might be out of time when a second robot suddenly appears, looming over downtown London"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,822,926 books! | Top bar: Always visible