Plan B 2.0: Rescuing a Planet Under Stress and a Civilization in Trouble

by Lester R. BROWN

Series: Plan B (2.0)

The world faces numerous environmental trends of disruption and decline such as rising temperatures, falling water tables and rising sea levels. This book highlights how in ignoring nature's deadlines for dealing with these issues we risk the disruption of economic progress.

English (3)  German (1)  All languages (4)
Wake Up America: Lester Brown has been monitoring the state of the world for many years and is probably one of the most knowledgeable and authoritative people on this topic. The first half of the book, filled with many little known but interesting and important facts lets us know how a declining resource base at a time of rapidly increasing human population is taking us toward a very unstable and potentially dangerous world. In the second half of the book he spells out what needs to be done worldwide and how it can be accomplished with about 1/3rd of our annual US Defense Dept. expenditures if we wake up to the facts and act immediately.
The book was so factual and encouraging that I bought a dozen to share with my congregation in the hope of spreading the facts, stimulating concern, and seeing some personal action. ( )
  lonepalm | Dec 1, 2008 |
Very upbeat, actually. I'm afraid too Pollyanna-ish. I've read just about all the new books on this topic, but I've never seen anyone else claim the "the United States has enough harnessable wind energy to meet not only national electricity needs, but national energy needs as well" (wind power to generate electricity for gas/electric for hybrid cars). Nonetheless, worth reading as a counter to all the others, I guess. What is nice is how he weaves all the problems together. ( )
  abuannie | May 8, 2007 |
Problem: With unsustainable resource consumption and environment alteration, the world is on the road to a catastrophe. Claimed solution: A crash program to implement a combination of such things as more efficient use of water, greater land productivity, halving carbon emissions (wind, solar, hydrogen), and population stabilization.
  fpagan | Oct 14, 2006 |

BROWN, Lester R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
LAI, Chin-YeeCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Plan B (2.0)

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 205,922,784 books! | Top bar: Always visible