dismiss

Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman

Norse Mythology

by Neil Gaiman

Neil Gaiman has long been inspired by ancient mythology in creating the fantastical realms of his fiction. Now he presents his fashioning of the primeval Norse myths into a novel, which begins with the genesis of the legendary nine worlds, delves into the exploits of the deities, dwarves, and giants, and culminates in Ragnarok, the twilight of the gods and the rebirth of a new time and people. Gaiman stays true to the myths while vividly recreating the characters--the gods with their fiercely competitive natures, their susceptibility to being duped and to dupe others, and their tendencey to let passion ignite their actions--and making these long-ago myths breathe pungent life again.--… (more)
Recently added byprivate library, Deyvena, RoseTJKennedy, Daisyreadthat, rayza31, ErKepi, j_tuffi, Luis_Castrillo
    The Prose Edda by Snorri Sturluson (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: The Edda feels like the primary source material for Gaiman's retelling
    Mabinogion Tetralogy by Evangeline Walton (LamontCranston)
    Odd and the Frost Giants by Neil Gaiman (sturlington)
    Expecting Someone Taller by Tom Holt (themulhern)
    themulhern: The one is a fine retelling of Norse mythology, the other is humorous fantasy based on Norse mythology. So they compliment each other nicely. And both are written rather cleverly.

English (179)  German (1)  Polish (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (184)
Really great modern retelling. It's interesting to read it alongside the Prose Edda and catch the small tonal differences and bit of artistic licence Gaiman takes in interpreting each tale.
  thoughtfullyhaunted | May 27, 2020 |
The gods live, and they die, and they live again.
Have not read such a great book in a long, long time. Neil Gaiman's writing is absolutely refreshing. ( )
  MahiShafiullah | May 25, 2020 |
fast, easy read but also very enjoyable introduction to Norse mythology ( )
  aabtzu | May 18, 2020 |
To be clear: my rating is on the Audible audio version of this book. I don't know if I would have rated it as high had I been reading it myself, because I would have likely gotten distracted by looking up the pronunciation of the various names. Having Mr. Gaiman read the names to me was much more enjoyable than struggling through them on my own. (Names like Thor and Odin would be no problem. It's the ones like Yggdrasil and Fjorgynn and einherjar which would have given me trouble.)

I do appreciate the way the information is presented here, too. It feels more similar to how the tales would have been told originally (especially when enjoyed in the audio book format), AKA verbally. It feels like stories that would be told around the fire at night before bed. It's not as dry as some mythology books are. (I have never understood how mythology tales can be made dull, but some authors have done just that.)

This is well worth the read if you're interested in Norse mythology. Just remember that, as in most mythology, that the classic gods are not as sanitized as we are often told about them now. Thor and Odin are not always "good" in the sense that we are used to thinking of "good". They do selfish things. Don't expect to see the Marvel version of Thor in this book, because what you get is a truer, more real Thor. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | May 18, 2020 |
Gaiman's engaging style reminds of oral storytelling, with all of its flash and flair. There's a bit of an info dump at the beginning, but past that the stories are quick and satisfying. All in all, it is a well-written, albeit unexceptional take on Norse folklore. ( )
  peterbmacd | May 17, 2020 |

Weber, SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Welch, ChrisDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Everett, Old Stories for a new boy
Introduction
It's as hard to have a favorite sequence of myths as it is to have a favorite style of cooking (some nights you might want Thai food, some nights sushi, other nights you crave the plain home cooking you grew up on).
Many gods and goddesses are named in Norse mythology.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,514,501 books! | Top bar: Always visible