Norse Mythology

by Neil Gaiman

Neil Gaiman has long been inspired by ancient mythology in creating the fantastical realms of his fiction. Now he presents his fashioning of the primeval Norse myths into a novel, which begins with the genesis of the legendary nine worlds, delves into the exploits of the deities, dwarves, and giants, and culminates in Ragnarok, the twilight of the gods and the rebirth of a new time and people. Gaiman stays true to the myths while vividly recreating the characters--the gods with their fiercely competitive natures, their susceptibility to being duped and to dupe others, and their tendencey to let passion ignite their actions--and making these long-ago myths breathe pungent life again.--… (more)
    The Prose Edda by Snorri Sturluson (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: The Edda feels like the primary source material for Gaiman's retelling
    Odd and the Frost Giants by Neil Gaiman (sturlington)
    Mabinogion Tetralogy by Evangeline Walton (LamontCranston)
    Expecting Someone Taller by Tom Holt (themulhern)
    themulhern: The one is a fine retelling of Norse mythology, the other is humorous fantasy based on Norse mythology. So they compliment each other nicely. And both are written rather cleverly.

English (262)  Polish (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (268)
Neil Gaiman's telling of the norse myths is really accessible and relatable. I don't know whether it is his retelling or the original myths themselves but I was constantly asking myself why the Gods did not just murder Loki, after all he seemed to be behind everything which goes wrong. The second most stiking thought was that the Gods themselves are rather like children, innocent and trusting but likely to lash out violently when they don't get their way.

It was a very entertaining read and I know feel a little more familiar with Norse myths and how they still resonate down to us today. ( )
  restimson | Jun 22, 2022 |
I quite liked it. It was not a singular storry but a collection of stories revolving around Odin, Thor, and Loki. Most books about norse mythology read as dry historical texts. Not so with this book. Mr. Gaiman clearly had fun writing these stories and it shows in the dry wit and humor in his writing. ( )
  awesomejen2 | Jun 21, 2022 |
I love listening to Neil Gaiman read his works. This is almost a pre-cursor to "American Gods" and goes into more detail the lives and tales of the gods. I could imagine sitting around a lovely fire when the winter winds are howling outside to listen to these tales. Many times, I recalled some of these stories from reading the Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan. I wonder if the authors are friends... There are many new-to-me tales in this book that made me laugh or glad I don't have to deal with these gods. The ending was a lovely analogy that I hadn't heard or thought of before. I hope my son reads this book. ( )
  BarbF410 | May 22, 2022 |
The cool characters and events of Norse mythology with the awesomely whimsical storytelling of Neil Gaiman. He narrates the audiobook himself. What more could you ask for? If you like mythology, fantasy, or simply great storytelling, this is a must-read. ( )
  JosephVanBuren | May 17, 2022 |
I’m a Gaiman fan though I’ve not read this one. Not sure what I’d make of it in print, but I found the audio dramatisation thoroughly entertaining. This was an hour and a half of fun with a varied cast, including the author. The telling of Norse Mythology told as someone telling a story. ( )
  SharonMariaBidwell | May 10, 2022 |

Weber, SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Welch, ChrisDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Everett, Old Stories for a new boy
Introduction
It's as hard to have a favorite sequence of myths as it is to have a favorite style of cooking (some nights you might want Thai food, some nights sushi, other nights you crave the plain home cooking you grew up on).
Many gods and goddesses are named in Norse mythology.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,927,745 books! | Top bar: Always visible