Beast by Paul Kingsnorth

Waste of time. I don't know why so many reviews are afraid to say it. They hide behind words like brave and poetic. Mostly because when you tell the truth about a book like this you get belittled and told things like "you just didn't understand it". Well let's keep it real. The idea of a book about a man fighting isolation and his own existential crisis sounds like a wonderful read. It starts out ok and I even copied down a quote or two I found really intriguing. Then the rest of the book happened. It is about eighty percent of total nothing. Especially when you're finished at least when you are reading you sort of expect something to happen. Glad I got this at the library and did not pay for it.

1 vote Fearshop | Mar 31, 2018 |

The stunning new novel from the prize-winning author of The Wake. 'Come to a place like this ...and you will understand soon enough that this world is a great animal, alive and breathing.' Beast plunges you into the world of Edward Buckmaster, a man alone on a west-country moor. What he has left behind we don't yet know; what he faces is an existential battle with himself, the elements and with something he begins to see in the margins of his vision: some creature that is tracking him, the pursuit of which will become an obsession. This is a vivid exploration of isolation, courage and the search for truth. Short, shocking and exhilarating, it confirms Paul Kingsnorth as one of our most daring and rewarding contemporary writers.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,932,505 books! | Top bar: Always visible