Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and…

Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis (edition 2016)

by J. D. Vance (Author)

Vance, a former marine and Yale Law School graduate, provides an account of growing up in a poor Rust Belt town that offers a broader, probing look at the struggles of America's white working class. The decline of this group, a demographic of our country that has been slowly disintegrating over forty years, has been reported on with growing frequency and alarm. J. D. Vance tells the true story of what a social, regional, and class decline feels like when you were born with it hung around your neck. The Vance family story begins hopefully in postwar America. J. D.'s grandparents were "dirt poor and in love," and moved north from Kentucky's Appalachia region to Ohio in the hopes of escaping the dreadful poverty around them. They raised a middle-class family, and eventually their grandchild (the author) would graduate from Yale Law School, a conventional marker of their success in achieving generational upward mobility. But as the family saga of Hillbilly Elegy plays out, we learn that this is only the short, superficial version. Vance's grandparents, aunt, uncle, sister, and, most of all, his mother, struggled profoundly with the demands of their new middle-class life, and were never able to fully escape the legacy of abuse, alcoholism, poverty, and trauma so characteristic of their part of America.… (more)
Member:CourtneyAnauo
Title:Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis
Authors:J. D. Vance (Author)
Info:Harper (2016), Edition: Reprint Ed., 272 pages

Work Information

Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis by J. D. Vance

The Glass Castle: A Memoir by Jeannette Walls (exfed)
    Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America by Barbara Ehrenreich (Othemts)
    Strangers in Their Own Land: Anger and Mourning on the American Right by Arlie Russell Hochschild (bradstreet2001)
    I'm Perfect, You're Doomed: Tales from a Jehovah's Witness Upbringing by Kyria Abrahams (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Ok, I absolutely know it's a stretch, but both deal with dysfunctional families and survival.
    Breaking Night: A Memoir of Forgiveness, Survival, and My Journey from Homeless to Harvard by Liz Murray (ainsleytewce)
    The Unwinding: An Inner History of the New America by George Packer (jilld17)
    Limbo: Blue-Collar Roots, White-Collar Dreams by Alfred Lubrano (WaltNoise)
    Crossing the Tracks for Love: What to Do When You and Your Partner Grew Up in Different Worlds by Ruby K. Payne (WaltNoise)
    Punch Me Up to the Gods: A Memoir by Brian Broome (aspirit)
    Hill Women: Finding Family and a Way Forward in the Appalachian Mountains by Cassie Chambers (ellyzhang66)
    Appalachian Elegy: Poetry and Place by bell hooks (aspirit)
    aspirit: Poetry collection. A response to how Black Appalachians are often left out of narratives of the place.
    The Other America: Poverty in the United States by Michael Harrington (Othemts)
    American Nations: A History of the Eleven Rival Regional Cultures of North America by Colin Woodard (pbirch01)
    pbirch01: A good biography on the history of Appalachia as it relates to the US at large.
    The Liars' Club by Mary Karr (ainsleytewce)
    Bright Angel Time by Martha McPhee (ainsleytewce)
    Hand to Mouth: Living in Bootstrap America by Linda Tirado (Othemts)
    This Boy by Alan Johnson (darllenwr_brwd)

English (299)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (302)
Wow! Great book about a topic I hadn't really thought about but then surprisingly found close to my own upbringing. Living in the Rust Belt, from Michigan, and definitely being from a hard working class family, I strongly identified with many of the stories and revelations that J.D. has. I have never considered myself a hillbilly, though, but who knows? I will be recommending this one to my husband and father-in-law. Only critique would be some repetitive stories within, but I will chalk that up to editor's fault. Would be great in a sociology class as well. ( )
  BarbF410 | May 22, 2022 |
With family roots in Eastern Kentucky, J.D. Vance grew up in what one might call a disintegrating community in southeastern Ohio. His story depicts his family and community's roots, touted as white working class, but which has declined in social stature over the years. With the odds against him, he has managed to rise up out of the poverty and underprivileged society in which he grew up, though he recognizes that it's not only about rising up and over, but that change needs to occur at several levels.

I'm late in reviewing this, as it's been a couple weeks since I finished reading, so things aren't quite as fresh in my memory. My review may offend some -- I'm not sure. Though I didn't grow up or live in Kentucky or Ohio, I did grow up and currently live in a neighboring Midwestern state. The sad fact is that I see many of the same things Vance describes in his book here, locally, and frankly, it makes me very depressed. But it also makes me very mad and sometimes intolerant. I, too, have seen a decline in my own community, and the number of uneducated, poor, and unmotivated individuals and families makes me shake my head and roll my eyes in frustration. Part of me wants to get the heck out of here, but the other part feels tied to the family and community that I grew up in. I could probably go on (or off) on this subject much more at length, but I won't. Though some have criticized Vance's book for stating an accurate picture of this part of the country but not effectively suggesting a good way to remedy the situation, I don't think it's as simple as that. I don't know what the answers are -- I wish someone could figure it out and stop the decline. Many would point to politics being the root cause. I do think that has some merit to some degree, but it's not the sole cause exclusively. A lot of things need to be done in order to "fix" this problem, and politics only complicates it. It's sad, really. If nothing else, this is a good book to instigate some serious discussions. ( )
  indygo88 | Apr 9, 2022 |
This is a great read and really does a lot to explain our political climate today. One of the strongest points I take away from this is how quickly those who want to be held accountable for their actions and their success are typically the first to blame the government for their failures.

This is a book everyone who is open to understanding where we are today should read. ( )
  donhazelwood | Mar 12, 2022 |
This is a memoir of a man who grew up in Kentucky Appalachia with hillbilly grandparents. Their grandparents actually moved from Kentucky to Ohio, and their children and grandchildren were born and raised in Ohio. So technically the author of the memoir is not a hillbilly, but he is raised in the hillbilly culture.....? So the author tells us about his childhood, how he grew up and ultimately received a college education at OSU and then law school at Yale. He went through a lot in his childhood. His mom was a single parent in and out of unstable and sometimes abusive relationships. And his mom was a drug addict and both verbally and physically abused him and his sister. It was pretty bad. The author described these stressors in his life as part of what goes on in the life of everyone he knows, friend or family. In other words, this is part of hillbilly culture. He proposes that in order to help people in hillbilly culture succeed and climb the social class ladder, government-run welfare program is not enough. The culture itself needs to change. ( )
  CathyChou | Mar 11, 2022 |
This was an interesting and easy to read biography of a Kentucky hillbilly. ( )
  Wren73 | Mar 4, 2022 |
added by janw | editNew Yorker, Josh Rothman (Sep 12, 2016)

Vance, J. D.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carlson-Stanisic, LeahDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heuvelmans, TonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Raynaud, VincentTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taylor, JarrodCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, J. D.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Mamaw and Papaw, my very own hillbilly terminators
Introduction
My name is J. D. Vance, and I think I should start with a confession: I find the existence of the book you hold in your hands somewhat absurd.
Like most small children, I learned my home address so that if I got lost, I could tell a grown-up where to take me.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,289,784 books! | Top bar: Always visible