The little book of hygge : the Danish way to…

The little book of hygge : the Danish way to live well (original 2017; edition 2016)

by Meik Wiking

The Danes are famously the happiest people in the world, and hygge is a cornerstone of their way of life. Hygge (pronounce Hoo-ga) loosely translates as a sense of comfort, togetherness, and well-being. You know hygge when you feel it. It is when you are cuddled up on the sofa with a loved one, or sharing comfort food with your closest friends. It is those crisp blue mornings when the light through your window is just right. It is about gratitude and savoring the simple pleasures in life. In short, it is the pursuit of everyday happiness.… (more)
Member:Robbie350
Title:The little book of hygge : the Danish way to live well
Authors:Meik Wiking
Info:London : Penguin Books, 2016.

Work Information

The Little Book of Hygge: Danish Secrets to Happy Living by Meik Wiking (2017)

English (40)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (43)
Really loved the ideas behind this book. I could identify with it far more than I did with minimalism. If cosy is one of your favourite words, this is the book for you! ( )
  thewestwing | Aug 12, 2022 |
Part picture book, part cultural exegesis, part self-improvement, Meik Wiking explores all the dimensions of the Danish word Hygge and its implications on happiness. It's a celebration of all things Denmark, from candy consumption, furniture arrangement, and social etiquette to prove the point that happiness comes from the aggregate of the small things to provide a state of Hygge.

The book doesn't strive to take itself too seriously(for a book on happiness, who would?), but simply tries to tickle the mind towards being intentional about peace and happiness. Even if you disagree with the application of its principles or politics, it strikes a fire(dare I say candle?) to imagine the spaces and places in your life of how Hygge can be achieved both individually and systemically. A fun read you can knock out in a day or three. Maybe even over seven cups of coffee. ( )
  gingsing27 | Jul 8, 2022 |
M.p PM
  LisaMc68 | Jul 3, 2022 |
Started off interesting, and the design of the book itself is very nice. There's lots of pretty photos in here too, but it's mostly a fluff book that feels like a covert advertisement for certain "cozy" products. I also don't see how eating lots of refined sugars, something known to worsen moods and health, makes people happy haha. I'd say people who eat loads of sweets and feeling good are feeling good in spite of that, not because of it. The lifestyle projected here is very Instagramy--pretty cakes, "cozy" bland clothes and thick socks, hot drinks, Christmas, etc. I ended up feeling like I was reading some sort of corporate sales pitch rather than getting any real insight. The book is so padded, the further you get in, the shorter and more nonsense the sections. There was clearly a page/word amount needed to be met. The recipes are the best part. Honestly, this whole book would've been better with just lots of pictures+recipes and a few short descriptions about different aspects of hygge, most of which--despite how much the author is trying really hard to convince you it doesn't and is unique--can just be described as things people in colder climates generally find "cozy" or "homey". I gotta laugh at the author's assertion most people find these things comforting too, like there's some universal cozy equation the whole world enjoys. It's regularly over 90 here. I'll pass on the thick socks, thanks. ( )
  somerainstorms | Jun 7, 2022 |
This book was so much better than I'd hoped it would be!!

I have a best friend who is Danish and my previous job was with a company based in Denmark so I've been lucky enough to visit; naturally both of these things peaked my interest in learning more, so for several months I've been eyeing a few books due for publication. I thought I'd ordered this months ago - I even wrote in down in my 'books ordered' notebook - but when I went to check on the order status, there was no order.

Luckily, my local had it in stock, along with a few other books on Hygge. I was in a hurry, so I just flipped through what was there and was disappointed at how many of them were just a book of decorating tips and recipes, so I stuck with this one because, frankly, the cover was the prettiest.

Let's hear it for judging a book by its cover, because this is exactly the book I was looking for. Meik Wiking (which is pronounced Viking and gave me no end of happiness in and of itself) is a researcher at The Happiness Research Institute at Copenhagen and he comes at the whole concept of Hygge from a social and anthropological point of view, backing up his speculations with current research. Yes! And, the cherry sauce on this risalamande (a rice dessert with, you guessed it, cherries) is that Wiking is funny. His humour sneaks on you as he has no trouble at laughing at himself or his culture in an honest but good natured way.

This is a highly readable book; I finished it easily this afternoon, but it includes all the elements of what makes hygge, hygge. He includes a few really incredible sounding recipes, a craft project for woven hearts, suggestions for making an emergency hygge kit and simple, everyday ways that anyone, anywhere can bring more hygge into their lives for not much more than the cost of a candle.

This truly is a little book of hygge. ( )
  murderbydeath | Jan 24, 2022 |
Het boek Hygge, De Deense Kunst van het Leven, trekt in een boekhandel mijn aandacht: het is prachtig vormgegeven, ik word er blij van als ik het zie en in mijn handen neem. Een mooi hardcover boek, met rustige kleuren, tekeningen en foto’s. Ik ben mijn hele leven al geïnteresseerd in Levenskunst – van de Deen Meik Wiking, die in het gelukkigste land van de wereld woont en ook nog eens directeur van het Happiness Research Institute is, hoor ik dus graag zijn visie...lees verder >

Introduction: Hooga? Hhyooguh? Heurgh? It is not important how you choose to pronounce or even spell hygge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 174,100,838 books! | Top bar: Always visible