The Simple Path to Wealth: Your Road Map to Financial Independence and a…

by J. L. Collins

Other authors: Mr. Money Mustache (Foreword)

The author shares his personal techniques, insights and experiences regarding saving money and investing, drawn from his blog posts as well as a series of letters to his teenage daughter, both dealing with money management.

It's rare for me to read a financial book and nod in agreement so much. Even still J.L. Collins presented a few ideas that challenged my own view on investing - which was happily unexpected. In addition to index fund investing and taking advantage of tax-free growth, two areas he mentioned stood out as things I've advised that he recommends against: dollar cost averaging and international funds. If the market grows more often than not over time, then why DCA? If international markets overwhelmingly track the US market, why invest in intl? Both good questions that i don't have great answers to. Either way, they got me thinking. ( )
  adamfortuna | May 28, 2021 |
A good book with pragmatic, effective advice. You can just save your money and read all the blog posts here, though: https://jlcollinsnh.com/stock-series/

It's simple advice that doesn't require a whole book (same author). ( )
  bishnu83 | Apr 6, 2021 |
This was a good read about working towards financial independence and striving towards that goal in a very simple way. It focuses a lot of doing this through Vanguard Index funds. However, I also really liked some of the chapters that go through how other savings plans work (IRAs, 401Ks, HSAs).

This book is narrated by the author and he does a good job reading it, I have no complaints about the narration.

My only complaint is that I feel like this book is really geared towards someone who is just starting on their financial journey. There's a lot of info in here I would love to make sure my son knows when he gets into his 20's (his 12 right now and we talk about investing and saving some already).

I felt like there was less info on how to deal with getting to the point of financial independence when you've already made some blunders and are in your 40's (like I am). Unfortunately, some of the ideas presented here seem a bit like pipe dream when you are already as invested in your life style and savings scheme as I am.

Still, even with the above being said I learned some good things from this book. It's definitely urging me to take a closer look at the financial fees and structure of all of the investments I already have and to reconsider some of the ways my portfolio is invested. I really loved the part on HSAs, we've been talking about starting to max out our HSA each year and now I am convinced that's a good idea.

Overall this is a great read for everyone. I would recommend for those who are interested in becoming financially independent or to those who are just interested in investing strategies for becoming more financially independent. ( )
  krau0098 | Aug 14, 2019 |
The chapters seem cobbled together from blog posts, and little new ground is broken if you are familiar with the financial independence/early retirement blogosphere.

Collins also ignores or dismisses any alternative or complimentary investments (e.g. residential real estate, which has added risk but also gives you leverage by putting to work money you haven't had to earn), and advocates a form of individualism that I find ethically myopic (e.g. the only obligation we have to society is "to ensure we and our children are not a burden on others," etc.).

That said, I do think his one-size-fits-most strategy makes it easy for the average Western wage earner to achieve financial independence assuming a little patience, discipline, resilience, and luck.

His advice is also very clear and actionable at both the "wealth accumulation" and "wealth preservation" stages... ( )
  augustgarage | Sep 26, 2017 |

Collins, J. L.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mr. Money MustacheForewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,467,226 books! | Top bar: Always visible