Primal Leadership: Learning to Lead with…

Primal Leadership: Learning to Lead with Emotional Intelligence (edition 2002)

by Daniel Goleman (Author)

1,019813,376 (3.8)2
This is the book that established "emotional intelligence" in the business lexicon--and made it a necessary skill for leaders. Managers and professionals across the globe have embraced Primal Leadership, affirming the importance of emotionally intelligent leadership. Its influence has also reached well beyond the business world: the book and its ideas are now used routinely in universities, business and medical schools, and professional training programs, and by a growing legion of professional coaches. This refreshed edition, with a new preface by the authors, vividly illustrates the power--and the necessity--of leadership that is self-aware, empathic, motivating, and collaborative in a world that is ever more economically volatile and technologically complex. It is even timelier now than when it was originally published. From bestselling authors Daniel Goleman, Richard Boyatzis, and Annie McKee, this groundbreaking book remains a must-read for anyone who leads or aspires to lead. Also available in ebook format wherever ebooks are sold.… (more)
Member:Chloe_E
Title:Primal Leadership: Learning to Lead with Emotional Intelligence
Authors:Daniel Goleman (Author)
Info:Harvard Businsa School (2002), Edition: Reprint, 306 pages
Tags:to-read

Primal Leadership: Learning to Lead with Emotional Intelligence by Daniel Goleman (Author)

Recently added byRhordan, peacsign, perfedge, private library, bornagainben78, ClunyRoad, HTPike664

English (7)  Danish (1)  All languages (8)
Primal Leadership connects the concepts of emotional intelligence to the role of leadership. Written by three experts, including Goleman, the founder of emotional intelligence, this update to the original conveys both the principles and the application. The main idea is that leaders maximize their impact when they communicate with resonance. There are different modes of leadership ranging from visionary to directive. Each has a time and place, but the resonant visionary is most effective at mobilizing a large organization over the long term. Other ideas that resonated with me include a framework for self-directed learning (relying on self-awareness followed by a learning agenda and help through others) and also the four domains of emotional intelligence ( self awareness, self management, social awareness, relationship management). ( )
  jpsnow | Sep 20, 2015 |
After going through the “Emotional Intelligence” from Daniel Goleman - I was chasing “Primal Leadership” as I was pretty convincing this could be smart transition! Actually – no doubt that Emotional Intelligence is a prerequisite for Leadership and therefore to succeed in Management role! However - Leaders need to be focused on the real world and not just emotions. Well – useless to say how difficult it is to change our default neural path and do something different from what we are wired to … Right?
Anyway – This book provides nice escapades into leadership and will definitively keep your interest ;()

Dec, 24th - 2013 ( )
  Fouad_Bendris | Dec 26, 2013 |
Drawing from decades of research within world-class organizations, the authors show that great leaders excel not just through skill and smarts, but by connecting with others using Emotional Intelligence competencies like empathy and self-awareness. The best leaders, they show, have "resonance"--a powerful ability to drive emotions in a positive direction to get results--and can fluidly interchange among a variety of leadership styles as the situation demands. Groundbreaking and timely, this book reveals the new requirements of successful leadership.
  brockportcelt | Nov 7, 2011 |
I picked up this book for a class assignment where we had to read a “management” book. I was really dreading this assignment since I hate being forced to read anything, and I have a hard time understanding any aspect of business. A few chapters in I realized this was definitely not a “business/management” book- this was a psychology and basic human interest book. A few weeks ago, I read an article on Yahoo! about how to get what you want in customer service. The number one rule? “You don’t have to be nice”. All I thought was “okay, that may be true…but why wouldn’t you?” This book gives the reasons that being nice (and keeping your emotions- both negative and positive- in check) can improve your relationships- personal and busines.

Emotional intelligence, in a nutshell, is understanding your own emotions so that you can manage them and keep situations under control. While this sounds like it has no place in the business world (and empathy does seem to be lacking in many “cut-throat” business plans) in fact, it does. Lower turnover, increased customer service, increased morale…are all good things! On top of that, building emotional intelligence should be a priority in everyday life. Connecting with people tends to get you exactly what you want- and against the article I had previously read (and had gotten slammed by customers and customer service agents across the board) you don’t need to be rude, stubborn, and arrogant to get your way. The best part? Anyone can (and should!) learn to increase their emotional intelligence with a little hard work…and this book! ( )
1 vote LaurenAileen | Mar 16, 2011 |
Of the three or four emotional intelligence books I've read recently, this was definitely the most useful and readable. It's intended for business and other leaders, but offers plenty of content applicable at a personal level. It emphasizes both intra-personal and interpersonal dynamics. ( )
  jpsnow | May 25, 2008 |

Goleman, DanielAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Boyatzis, Richard E.Authormain authorall editionsconfirmed
McKee, AnnieAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Morey, ArthurNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whitener, BarrettNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,625,726 books! | Top bar: Always visible