San Juan Noir by Mayra Santos-Febres

San Juan Noir

by Mayra Santos-Febres (Editor)

Other authors: Janette Becerra (Contributor), Edmaris Carazo (Contributor), Tere Dávila (Contributor), Ana Maria Fuster Lavín (Contributor), Wilfredo J. Burgos Matos (Contributor)9 more, Manuel A. Melendez (Contributor), Luis Negrón (Contributor), Manolo Núñez Negrón (Contributor), Alejandro Alvarez Nieves (Contributor), Yolanda Arroyo Pizarro (Contributor), Ernesto Quiñonez (Contributor), Jose Rabelo (Contributor), Mayra Santos-Febres (Contributor), Charlie Vazquez (Contributor)

Series: Akashic Books Noir Series

"Santos-Febres and 13 other contributors of Puerto Rican heritage take full advantage of San Juan's wide range of disparities between rich and poor, weak and powerful, tourists and residents, in this fine addition to Akashic's noir anthology series." -Publisher's Weekly "I have never been to San Juan, Puerto Rico, but I traveled some of its streets in these stories. Of course, the city is more than noir. That's what I love about the Akashic Noir stories, these are not the Tourist Bureau stories of the city. They are gritty, sometimes nasty, sometimes gross, but always interesting." -Tonstant Weader Reviews "San Juan Noir is a brilliantly polished literary gem that showcases life on the fringes of society. Every tale glows in its own darkness, piercingly tugging at the remnants of human decency. We must do better, it screams. Yes, we must. Highly recommended." -Jamaica Gleaner Akashic Books continues its groundbreaking series of original noir anthologies, launched in 2004 with Brooklyn Noir. Each story is set in a distinct neighborhood or location within the city of the book. Brand-new stories by: Wilfredo J. Burgos Matos, Ernesto QuiNonez, Mayra Santos-Febres, JosE Rabelo, Luis NegrOn, Yolanda Arroyo Pizarro, Ana MarIa Fuster LavIn, Janette Becerra, Manolo NUNez NegrOn, Tere DAvila, Edmaris Carazo, Alejandro Alvarez Nieves, Charlie VAzquez, and Manuel A. MelEndez. Translated by Will Vanderhyden. From the introduction by Mayra Santos-Febres: "Puerto Rico is often portrayed as sandy beaches, casinos, luxury hotels, relaxation, and never-ending pleasure-a place that satisfies all senses and appetites. Yet the city of San Juan is much more than that. The capital of the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico is the oldest Spanish settlement in all the territories and colonies of the United States. Since Puerto Rico is economically dependent on the US, the financial downturn of 2008 hit us hard. Many Puerto Ricans have left the island, looking for a better life. Crime has risen and the black market has thrived. As in many crises, art, music, and literature have also flourished. Never before has there been so much literary production. We have responded to our crisis with many stories to tell. And, especially in these times, many of those stories are noir... I hope these stories spark your imagination, and reveal a side of Puerto Rico otherwise obscured by the tourist trade and preconceptions. Maybe it will also pique your curiosity, and you will come visit our 'pearl of the Caribbean.'"… (more)

Este libro nos comparte 14 excelentes relatos del San Juan oscuro, a veces tétrico y lúgubre. Cada historia corta es además de interesante, cruda y llena de realidad. Y cuando digo realidad, me refiero a esa que a veces queremos cubrir para que otros no puedan ver. Sobre todo, esta obra que representa un compendio en el que cada historia es escrita por un autor diferente, está llena de humanidad. Es un espejo que retrata esa humanidad en sus puntos más bajos, y nos devela a personajes que son objetos, víctimas o perpetradores de grandes males sociales como la prostitución y la drogadicción. A ellos, en pocas páginas, nos obliga a mirarlos y verlos como seres humanos y no como meras sombras. Altamente recomendado. ( )
  lizzyserro | Dec 1, 2017 |
  lizzyserro | Dec 1, 2017 |
A collection of noir stories taking place in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Even those these averaged out to a solid 3/5, I found the collection as a whole very satisfying. There is a cohesiveness found in the selections which is usually elusive in anthology collections. I came into this blind about the culture and social aspects of San Juan but feel like the collection has given me a sense for the people. Worth reading!

1. Death on the Scaffold by Janette Becerra - A good story to start the collection. A mysterious narrator tells of a painter at her very high up apartment. An incident occurs and she realises a crime has been committed. It's a strange tale with the narrator being a recluse. (4/5)

2. Fish Food by Manolo Nunez Negron - The dark story of a friendship between two men from childhood until one becomes successful and the other ends up with a hit on him from the gang lords. Very well-written and engaging. (5/5)

3. The Infamy of Chin Fernandez by Tere Davila - Our villain is a panty snatcher and he tells of the day he got caught but thankfully it was only for the panty-snatching. Quite dark. I enjoyed it. (4/5)

4. Two Deaths for Angela by Ana Maria Fuster Lavin - Very good! And very morbid. A woman who thrives on loneliness and despair tells of her close encounters with the deaths of others and her doppelganger whom she keeps seeing. (5/5)

5. Matchmaking by Mayra Santos-Febres - Short and dark. A hitman for a drug lord is given a job on a female drug lord and his life changes forever. Even though it's short we get a real sense for the hitman. Well-written. (4/5)

6. Dog Killer by Luis Negron - Another hitman at work. Written in a choppy style which makes you have to infer what happened at certain points. Ok story butI didn't like the writing. (2/5)

7. Saint Michael's Sword by Wilfredo J. Burgos Matos - This was not for me. A male prostitute wakes up in the street with an AK-47 wound in him. He stumbles to his sister's place to be patched up then he travels all over the neighbourhood searching for the one who pulled the trigger. I couldn't get over the very vulgar language and vulgar references. Weird and distasteful. (1/5)

8. A Killer Among Us by Manuel A. Melendez - Honestly, this was just boring. Starting out with the story of an adolescent and his two buddies. He has a nasty drunk for a father who beats his mother. Then a dead man is found in the town bringing about a course of events, No suspense and two-dimensional characters. (2/5)

9. Sweet Feline by Alejandro Alvarez Nieves - Good, but leads up to a disappointing ending. Narrated by a bellhop, he tells of the time a female came to the hotel spending money all over the place. She charms the staff and other guests alike but completely ignores the narrator. Until her last night when she specifically asks for him to come to her room. The suspense is good and we only figure out what is going on when it finally happens. However, you keep expecting something more to come and then it just ends. (3/5)

10. Things Told While Falling by Yolanda Arroyo Pizarro - A man, afraid of flying, tells the random thoughts he has as the plane descends for a landing. Upon landing a dead body is found floating in the river. He continues and tells what happens after. Not bad; it's dark but hard to "get" the point. (3/5)

11. Turistas by Ernesto Quinonez - A man's mother dies and he makes a deathbed promise to her to find his father. His father is famous for having been a gang member of the Vampires and gruesomely stabbing two white kids to death when he was only 14 himself. The ending was unsatisfactory for me but I think the theme here is that family is more important than any amount of money. (3/5)

12. Y by Jose Rabelo - This doesn't make any sense to me. A mathematics teacher tells about a female student who is missing and he wants to solve the problem. There are a lot of cat references and prostitution also. It was readable, but just barely. (1/2)

13. Inside and Outside by Edmaris Carazo - This has a surprise twist at the end which I never saw coming. Honestly, the story is quite mundane; a girl goes to a party with her boyfriend, drives around afterwards, and the bf buys a brick of marijuana. Very annoyed with him, they start home and up to this point, I've been thinking what a boring story. Then the climax comes, what? and finally the twist. OMG! Fun. (3/5)

14. Death Angel of Santurce by Charlie Vazquez - Well written. At first, the story seems to be a day-in-the-life of a prostitute but as the night wears on things turn dark and we're surprised with an unexpected ending. All the action happens at the end thus allowing the author to give a good character sketch of the main character. (4/5) ( )
  ElizaJane | Mar 15, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
After the slight disappointment of Brussels Noir, Akashic rebounds quickly with San Juan Noir. Mayra Santos-Febres has assembled 14 excellent short stories showcasing the darker side of Puerto Rico's capital featuring everything we've com to expect and love in these volumes - murder, deceit, humor and great writing.

This is a great addition to this series ( )
  Tucker.Christine | Oct 15, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I feel bad that I couldn't finish this book. I received a review copy, and while a free book doesn't guarantee a good review, I do feel as though it should guarantee a review.

Unfortunately, when one story where the dog dies was followed by another where a dog is abused, I couldn't take it any more. I put down the book and will not be picking it up again.
  Jammies | Oct 9, 2016 |

Santos-Febres, MayraContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vazquez, CharlieContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vanderhyden, WillTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Mayra Santos-Febres's book San Juan Noir was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,730,046 books! | Top bar: Always visible