Wires and Nerve: Volume 1 by Marissa Meyer

Wires and Nerve: Volume 1

by Marissa Meyer, Douglas Holgate (Illustrator)

Other authors: Stephen Gilpin

Series: Lunar Chronicles Graphic Novel (1)

I never read a graphic novel before, but I picked this up after reading Winter because I wasn't ready to say goodbye to the crew of the Rampion and I was hoping to find out a little about what happened next on Luna. Still not my favorite type of novel, but it did meet my criteria. ( )
  ang709 | Jul 31, 2018 |
Marissa Meyer returns to the world of the Lunar Chronicles with this graphic novel which follow's Cinder's android friend, Iko. Iko is tasked with helping round up the rest of the Lunar Wolf soldiers on Earth, and the takes to the task with grace and style. The novel is beautifully done, with visuals in a blue/black scale, and it's overall a nice return to this familiar world and beloved characters.
  Breanne.Lawson | Jul 18, 2018 |
Here's a little run down for The Lunar Chronicles - First read Cinder, Scarlet, Cress, Fairest, Winter then Wires and Nerve before reading the last short story in the series. I for the life of me can't remember what it's called but it's something like Something New maybe? Just don't...it's tempting but if you want the story in chronological order do yourself this one favor.

In this installment of the series, Iko is the hero. Cinder needs help fulfilling her end of the Lunar Earthen peace agreement having to do with the mutant wolf army Levana deployed on earth a while back. Even though she's queen many of them refuse to return back to Luna to face a trial for their crimes. Since any living being within their proximity would be eviscerated in under ten seconds, Iko makes it her mission to bring back every one of the former Queen's Army.

This isn't my usual style of art. I'm no expert when it comes to describing things but I prefer my graphic novels to be a little more detailed. That didn't make this one any less enjoyable. There's something about the blue that made me appreciate the style a little more though. The story was really fun and I could tell Meyer did her research for writing this type of script. It was totally in Iko's POV and her wanting to tell it in graphic novel form is so like her.

The rating is probably more of my TLC fangirlness but this book just brought back a ton of feels for the series as a whole. It was so good to get a glimpse of Cinder as the Lunar Queen and Cress and Thorne travelling around the world to deliver the letumosis antidote in various places. There was one thing that did leave me scratching my head and as much as I love Iko there's no getting around the fact that she's an android. I know that the next novel is going to mess with my mind for sure. ( )
1 vote Jessika.C | Jul 2, 2018 |
I don't think I can't not give a book by Marissa Meyer less than five stars. Usually halfway through I think that oh this one I'll probably give four stars but then by then end I'm like GIVE ALL THE STARS! The same thing happened when I read [b:Stars Above|25689074|Stars Above (The Lunar Chronicles, #4.5)|Marissa Meyer|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1472473049s/25689074.jpg|45517469] a couple months ago and when I went through and changed ratings on my shelves with [b:Scarlet|13206760|Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2)|Marissa Meyer|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1470056982s/13206760.jpg|18390691]. I seriously can't critically review them I love all of them so much.

I thought the concept of a graphic novel over an actual novel was quite interesting and ended up loving it much more than I thought I would. At first I was a little wary because I didn't feel like I would get enough details or enough of that TLC feel, but I ended up feeling very satisfied by the end. I also feel like the format of the book in and of itself only adds to Iko's character, it suited her very well, and infact added to it.

I feel like rating a graphic novel is so different from rating an actual book, because you have stuff like the art and visuals and writing. Unlike some, I did really like the art style in here, only having one problem with it and that was the way the artist(s) depicted Wolf. I don't know why but I really didn't like that he looked very animal like in here - I found it kind of weird and disturbing. Like I get that yes he is one of the biologically changed wolf soldiers and all that, but in my imagination, I always pictured him more human. Perhaps that was me.

I just LOVED seeing all of my ships reunited here, especially Cress and Thorne. (Actually sighs) And this new romance between Kinney and Iko....

ALSO am I the only one who thinks that there is something about Iko that we don't know? That scene with the doctor saving they found an encrypted file?

Needless to say, I might be preordering the next one... I CAN NOT WAIT!!!! Edit: many months later I still haven't read the second volume... whoops.

jlydia | Jun 25, 2018 |
I enjoyed this graphic continuation of The Lunar Chronicles focusing on Iko the droid. She has an almost human personality chip (which many people see as a malfunction) and a new escort model robot body. We see her not only fighting the Wolf soldiers, but exploring droid rights (why isn't she known as a hero of the recent wars?) and her human emotions (Lasting friendships! Blushing! Falling in love?)

I'm happy to go on with this series – for me Marissa Meyer is the perfect light n fun relief when I need a mental break.

However – I was a bit disappointed in the depictions of many of the characters. I had envisioned them more glamorous – more Disney-esque; more like the original characters from the original tales that they mirror. The drawings were more down to earth versions of them – dontcha hate it when reality (?) gets in the way.

Volume 2 promptly requested from library. ( )
  streamsong | Jun 12, 2018 |

Marissa Meyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Holgate, DouglasIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Gilpin, Stephensecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deas, RichCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
di Bosco, Danielle MazzellaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

AR Level 4.7, 2 pts

When rogue packs of wolf-hybrid soldiers threaten the tenuous alliance between Earth and Luna, android Iko joins up with a handsome royal guard to hunt down the rogue leader.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,849,245 books! | Top bar: Always visible