Notes on an Exodus: An Essay

by Richard Flanagan

1611,150,483 (4.75)None
Notes on the exodus of refugees from Syria, by Man Booker Prize winner Richard Flanagan. With illustrations from Archibald Prize winner Ben Quilty. In January 2016 Richard Flanagan and Ben Quilty travelled to Lebanon, Greece, and Serbia to follow the river that is the exodus of our age- that of refugees from Syria. Flanagan's 'notes' and Quilty's sketches bear witness to the remarkable people they met on that journey and their stories. These individual portraits from the Man Booker Prize-winning author and Archibald Prize-winning artist combine to form a powerful testament to human dignity and courage in the face of war, death, and suffering. Refugees are not like you and me. They are you and me. That terrible river of the wretched and the damned flowing through Europe is my family.… (more)

A moving essay concerning those who have suffered at the hands of the Syrian war - summed up perfectly by Flanagan, page 53: 'Refugees are not like you and me. They are you and me'. ( )
1 vote jon1lambert | Oct 10, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,027,611 books! | Top bar: Always visible