Yo, Jo! by Rachel Isadora

Yo, Jo! (edition 2007)

by Rachel Isadora (Author)

Member:Tbames
Title:Yo, Jo!
Authors:Rachel Isadora (Author)
Info:Harcourt Children's Books (2007), Edition: First, 40 pages
Tags:Social Moral Development, Plot, Family, diversity, multiculturalism, family life

Yo, Jo! by Rachel Isadora

A story about Jomar and is brother greeting the people in his neighborhood using local greetings or slang, however, when their grandfather returns home he reminds them to not to forget to speak more traditionally.

3-6

Pierce College Library
  Tbames | Jun 12, 2019 |
Rachel Isadore chose a much less detailed approach when illustrating this book. I did feel slightly uncomfortable with the lack of real dialogue from any of the young characters, who were almost all part of a cultural minority. Also, this book was published in 2007, when I was 13 years old in a New Orleans public school with a very diverse group of friends, and not to be nit-picky, but a lot of the slang words that were used in the book were not accurate for many, if not all, of the people from minority backgrounds that I knew back then or who I have met since. I did find it interesting that the only two characters who spoke in complete proper English were Jomar's Mama and his Grandpa. His Grandpa, in fact, corrected Jomar when he replied to "how are you?" with "Yo! Chillin'!". Jomar corrects himself and address his Grandpa with more respect and says, "I love you Grandpa," to which Grandpa replied, "that's better,". Grandpa shows his wild side on tghe last page, however, when he says, "Yo, Franklin, you chillin' with us?" as they are all walking inside to have dinner. ( )
  Noahedels | Nov 15, 2018 |
I think this is a cute book to see the diversity in the way people speak. I think young children would get a kick out of reading this book. It was very cute to see how grandpa was confused on what the little boy was saying. It was just a cute book. It wasn't my favorite and it wasn't my least favorite just a cute book that a student would get a kick out of. ( )
  arizzo | Sep 6, 2018 |
This book is about 2 brother who are sitting on the stoop of their home waiting for the grandfather to get home. They are using slang while talking with their friends but once their grandfather arrives he is not impressed with their slang so he insists on classic words.
Ages: 3-6
Source: Pierce County Library
  PatriciaHalbert | Aug 18, 2018 |
The brothers waiting on the front steps for grandpa to come home. While waiting Jomar and Franklin say hello to their different friends and neighbor in all kinds of different and special ways.
  PiaVanValkenberg | Aug 9, 2018 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0152057838, Hardcover)

While Jomar and his brother, Franklin, are on their stoop waiting for Grandpa, friends and neighbors come by--whizzing on skates, showing off their new treads, or bouncing a ball. Whether it's Whassup? or Yo!, Jo's got a greeting for everyone--until Grandpa arrives and only classic words will do: I love you.
     With a fresh new style, Caldecott Honor-winning illustrator Rachel Isadora fashions an exuberant intergenerational celebration of language, neighborhoods, and family.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:49 -0400)

Jomar greets his neighbors using slang, but his grandfather wants to hear some more traditional words.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,565,120 books! | Top bar: Always visible