Our revolution by Bernie Sanders

Our revolution

by Bernie Sanders

There is a lot of information in this book that I think people on both sides of the equation will be able to look at and consider.
From Berine Sanders begining in Brooklyn to where he is now, post election, we are taken along and informed on the big issues that we face as a nation. Many of these issues stem from local level situations that have solutions. It's just a matter of finding the right people in power to impact those solutions.
Giving reason, explination and inspiration to his readers its a great message for any Democrat or Republican to consider. ( )
  untitled841 | Jul 24, 2019 |
This memoir/political treatise starts with a short background of Sanders’ life and then a more detailed account of the 2016 election campaign. It’s still pretty remarkable how in a short time a little known Senator from a small state was able to bring together so many people and win 23 primary elections, get millions of votes in other primaries, and win nearly half of the elected delegates. Although the 2016 election ended in the triumph of evil, there’s a lot of inspiration of reading this story of what can be done when bringing together a movement based on equality, progressive values, and social democracy. The second part of the book diagnoses the political ills of America and what can be done to heal them. It’s preaching to the choir for me, but a handy guide that I hope will be relied on in the coming years. ( )
  Othemts | May 9, 2017 |
This hybrid opinion-memoir is clear and well written. There is a chapter on each of Sander's main issues, and, just before the credits, a conclusion.

Bernie paints a picture in which the stakes for our country are very high, and that improving our standard of living, quality of life, as well as our leadership and respect in the world, will be a difficult and likely very a slow process, if we even succeed.

Bernie goes to the source of the problems we are having, rather than addressing the short-term Band-Aid actions so often followed. Very good reading but unsettling as was Rachel Carson's "Silent Spring", or Gore's "Inconvenient Truth". But best to be informed as Gore and Carson did alert us to real issues that did need addressing. Bernie's issues also need addressing and the sooner the better. ( )
  billsearth | Feb 10, 2017 |
This is an amazing book and should be on every American’s reading list. I am an avid election follower so I watched and read everything I could during the recent presidential election. I had previously read the book “Double Down: Game Change 2012” by John Heilemann and Mark Halperin, so it was no surprise to me that the Democrats, including President Obama, were invested in making Hillary Clinton their nominee. I always felt that this was a mistake. My feelings about this proved to be true as evidenced by the election results. I had felt that Bernie Sanders would have made a more compelling candidate and the only one who could have appealed to the core Trump supporters as well as so many other groups in our society. However, while mistakes were made, there is much to learn from this man, and most of it is laid out in his book. He provides an interesting history of his life and his political history right up to his loss of the Democratic nomination. While this was very interesting, the most compelling part of this book are his discussions on his agenda for America: his views on the economy, health care for all, affordable higher education, climate change reforms, reforms of the criminal justice system, immigration reform and the issues corporate media outlets pose to our democracy. Much of what he says makes so much sense and could easily be achieved if we can only defeat special interest groups and the top 1% of our population who control the majority of the country’s wealth. I remain a Bernie Sanders fan and hope there is another candidate out there who can take up these issues in a similar fashion for all of our sake. ( )
  Susan.Macura | Jan 29, 2017 |

Storrings, MichaelCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tielinen, KirsimarjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wayrynen, TroyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wong, AlexCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my parents, Eli and Dorothy Sanders, and to my entire family -- my wife, Jane, my brother, Larry, my children, Levi, Heather, Carina, and Dave, and their spouses,
Raine, Mark, Blake, and Liza, and my grandchildren, Sunnee, Cole, Ryleigh, Grayson, Ella, Tess, and Dylan. Their love and support have always sustained me.

This book is also dedicated to the hundreds of thousands of volunteers who worked so hard, in so many ways, to make our campaign a success. Don't give up. The struggle must continue.
(Introduction) When we began our race for the presidency in April 2015, we were considered by the political establishment a day the media to be a "fringe" campaign, something not to be taken seriously.
I grew up in a three-and-a-half-room rent-controlled apartment.

Contents:

Running for President -- How do we turn out the way we do? -- My political life in Vermont -- Thinking about running -- How do you run a presidential campaign? -- The campaign begins -- On the campaign trail -- An agenda for a new America: how we transform our country -- Defeating oligarchy -- The decline of the American middle class -- Ending a rigged economy -- Health care for all -- Making higher education affordable -- Combatting climate change -- Real criminal justice reform -- Immigration reform now -- Protecting our most vulnerable -- Corporate media and the threat to our democacy -- Conclusion.

"When Bernie Sanders began his race for the presidency, it was considered by the political establishment and the media to be a "fringe" campaign, something not to be taken seriously. After all, he was just an independent senator from a small state with little name recognition. His campaign had no money, no political organization, and it was taking on the entire Democratic Party establishment. By the time Sanders's campaign came to a close, however, it was clear that the pundits had gotten it wrong. Bernie had run one of the most consequential campaigns in the modern history of the country. He had received more than 13 million votes in primaries and caucuses throughout the country, won twenty-two states, and more than 1.4 million people had attended his public meetings. Most important, he showed that the American people were prepared to take on the greed and irresponsibility of corporate America and the 1 percent. In Our Revolution, Sanders shares his personal experiences from the campaign trail, recounting the details of his historic primary fight and the people who made it possible. And for the millions looking to continue the political revolution, he outlines a progressive economic, environmental, racial, and social justice agenda that will create jobs, raise wages, protect the environment, and provide health care for all--and ultimately transform our country and our world for the better. For him, the political revolution has just started. The campaign may be over, but the struggle goes on."--Provided by publisher.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,013,443 books! | Top bar: Always visible