Dust: A Richard Jury Mystery by Martha…

Dust: A Richard Jury Mystery (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Martha Grimes

Series: Richard Jury (21)

8902018,178 (3.44)22
Scotland Yard superintendent, Richard Jury investigates the murder of wealthy bachelor Billy Maples in a shady London motel. He discovers connections between the murder and the distant past through Maples' grandfather, who served as one of Britain's top code breakers during WWII.
Member:James.Danzl.III
Title:Dust: A Richard Jury Mystery
Authors:Martha Grimes
Info:Signet (2007), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 432 pages

Dust by Martha Grimes (Author) (2007)

English (19)  German (1)  All languages (20)
When young Benny finds a body in the hotel room where he is delivering coffee, he immediately calls Jury. The case seems to point to the past and WWII, but each suspect doesn't quite fit until Jury has a revelatory conversation with Wiggins.
  4leschats | Oct 22, 2018 |
law-enforcement, murder-investigation, British-detective -----
There may be only one murder investigation, but it's still as convoluted as ever. Plant gets to emulate Henry James in order to investigate part of the victim's life, Jury is ambushed by a barracuda, and World War 2 history invades the present. A very busy book which needs a second reading to catch up with the nuances hiding clues. A good read. ( )
  jetangen4571 | May 20, 2018 |
The first in the series that I truly detested, mostly because suddenly Richard Jury is cheating on his girlfriend, Phyllis Nancy with detective Lu Aguilar, a force of nature, ignoring Carol Anne and in general being a prig. Melrose Plant is as delightful as always, and I hate when Grimes doesn't wrap up the story but leaves you guessing as to the ending - it's clear as mud to me. This doesn't change the fact that I'll be reading the next book in the series, just that I'm irritated by this entry. Oh well.

Oh, about the story - Benny Keegan and Sparky go to deliver room service to Billy Maples, a youngish playboy (aged 32) and finds him shot through the heart. He calls Jury to get him on the case. The case is entwined with the seavacs and the kindertrains from WWII. One of the issues for me is that it is no longer clear to me when the modern stories are supposed to be set - early 1990s, 2000s? By now Richard should be retired.

This blog entry explores what the ending meant or didn't mean. http://maebookblog.blogspot.com/2008/09/dust-by-martha-grimes_14.html ( )
  phoenixcomet | May 9, 2018 |
Richard Jury is called in to help solve the murder by a young boy he has befriended in the past on another case. He finds that he also knows the grandfather of the murdered man from working with him on another case. He now has two people expecting him to come up with the murderer. The problem is the lack of clues, or the subtlety of them. He is also paired with a beautiful detective whose presence sparks an animal attraction between the two of them that just adds distraction to the whole case.

Characters from previous cases appear in this tale. Some providing help and others distraction. Jury is a bit of a somber character who sometimes seems to over analyze to the point that he can't see the forest for the trees.

For me, I enjoy Melrose Plant as he tends to add a nice touch of humour and levity. He is useful to Jury in his investigating behind the scenes. He can go where Jury can't as people won't always tell the truth to the police.

I enjoy Martha Grimes' mysteries as they can be read at a leisurely pace and don't reveal everything all at once. Gives you something to ruminate about. ( )
  ChazziFrazz | Jun 23, 2016 |
Oh no.. she's done it again...another Inspector Jury with the cliff hanger for an ending. Really, these should come with a warning that a) they should be read in sequence, and b) you're not going to find out who did the dastardly deed until you get hold of the next in the series.

So in 'Dust' Inspector Jury is trying to tie up the loose ends from a previous case, referenced sporadically in this book, when he's called into the scene of a murdered man in a hotel. All evidence seem to point to the killer interrupting him during his dinner and killing him. But the killer inconveniently leaves no fingerprints or clues as to his identity behind.

Inspector Jury also finds himself in unfamiliar territory with the delectable Detective Inspector Lu Aguilar. There's more attention given to sex in this book rather than laying out paths to solving the murder. The way the various links to the murdered man unfolds keeps this a very engaging book though, which makes it all the more frustrating to get to the end of the book only to find not just that you still don't know who did it, but that there now seems to be a new mystery to solve... in the next book. ( )
1 vote cameling | Jan 27, 2011 |

Belongs to Series

This is just love. It's nothing like the storm. (Clive James, "After the Storm" )
To the memory of my father, my mother, and my brother
Benny Keegan whistled his way down the hall of the Zetter's fifth floor, his small dog Sparky obediently at his heels.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,545,071 books! | Top bar: Always visible