No Mistress of Mine

by Laura Lee Guhrke

2017 RITA® Award Winner for Historical Romance Long! USA Today bestselling author Laura Lee Guhrke is back with the latest in her dazzling An American Heiress in London series, in which a reformed rogue finds all his honorable resolutions tested by the only woman who ever broke his heart . . . After spending his youth as one of the wildest rakes in the ton, Lord Denys Somerton has devoted the past six years to putting his past behind him. He is determined to fulfill his duties, find a suitable wife, and start a family, but that plan changes when Lola Valentine--the red-haired temptress from his past--returns to London, sparking the same irresistible desires that almost ruined his life once before. Lola is a woman with no romantic illusions. She knew love would never be enough for a British lord and an American girl from the wrong side of the tracks. For Denys's sake, she walked away from him and the glittering life he offered. But when an unexpected inheritance brings her back to London, Lola discovers the passion between them is as hot as ever. Can they vanquish it, or will it burn out of control again and destroy them both?… (more)

Lord Denys Somerton is about to embark on one of the largest acquisitions of his life…he is about fulfil his duty and get married to some nice British women of nobility, just as it is expected of him. But that is until Lola Valentine, a women of his past comes back to London and claims half of the shipping company his father co-owns, that she just inherited, and stirs a hornets nest of trouble.

6 years ago, Denys sunk everything he had into Lola, an American wannabe actress and when she left him for "something better" and left him not only broken hearted but bankrupt too. After 6 years Denys has earned back his reputation and his fortune, but with Lola back, his life has become a whole lot more complicated. But when the truth comes out about why Lola truly left, Denys is shocked to the core, but where can they go from here?

I'm going to leave it there as I don't want to give away too much of the story. I have never read a book by Laura Lee Guhrke, which is quite shocking in itself, as I have been a fan of historical romances for at least 10 years, but yet I hadn't come across this author before. But some of the lovely ladies in the reading group I belong to have been raving about her new "An American Heiress in London" series, so I decided, what the hey! I have nothing to lose.

Now in total honestly, I'm not really into the many stories out there about American's in Regency London, as to me, it never quite gels…which is kind of amusing (and maybe hypocritical) as I'm an English women living in America; but regardless, I drove straight and I will admit, this book has changed my opinion about many things, let me explain.

Where normally authors will list every difference between American and the British, this author did not, now don't get me wrong, she made subtle comparisons, but really she wrote this book in a way that she didn't make the general assumptions that most authors make and I really appreciate that. I loved the way she wrote the way the characters had flaws, even the ones that seemed to have a stick shoved up their behind! Truly, the author wrote an amazing story, of love overcoming great feats and yet it managed to survive.

So to put it bluntly…the writing: magnificent, the story: divine, the characters: endearing and this reviewer is now a dedicated fan of Laura Lee Guhrke…and so, if you want me, I will be buying every single book she has ever written!!

I give No Mistress of Mine 5 Stars!
  Cara_Ross | Dec 2, 2018 |

I give No Mistress of Mine 5 Stars! ( )
  Cara_Ross | Sep 7, 2016 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,645,016 books! | Top bar: Always visible