Things We Lost in the Fire: Stories by…

Things We Lost in the Fire: Stories

by Mariana Enriquez

English (87)  German (1)  All (88)
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Gorgeous and unsettling are the best ways to describe this collection of short stories set against the hot, everyday backdrop of Argentina. The writing and pacing are excellent and compel you to finish these all in one sitting but are best enjoyed slowly, story by story. ( )
  ultrabookgeek | Sep 21, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
So much of the grotesque here; it was not to my taste even though many of the narratives were striking. Very well written and powerful, but disturbing. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Aug 8, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Super creepy (sometimes over-the-top creepy). These 12 stories are probably some of the darkest horror stories I've read in awhile. I'd compare them to things you'd see published by Cemetery Dance--darker than Stephen King. Many of the stories seem so dark because they make the reader think about the choices one makes, morality, and consequences in the most horrific ways. ( )
  MarcusH | Aug 8, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Ho-ly, shiiiiiiit. Anyone going into this book should know first and foremost that this book has several very creepy and flippantly morbid areas (some involving children) set against a depressing background. I went into it completely blind and it all crept up on me; the further into the book I got, the more disturbing the stories.

Some stories were meh, some slightly creepy, and some very disturbing. It's an offbeat approach that the author, Mariana Enriquez, uses. All of the stories are set in Argentina; most begin innocuously enough before veering off into nightmarish territory. Adding to the haunting atmosphere is the fact that the stories often hint at, instead of explicitly explaining, the atrocities that have scarred Argentina in the past as well as the vestiges of corruption that remain. Many of the stories are actually metaphors about Argentina's struggles, past and present.

Like I said, this book sort of crept up on me. Once I realized what it was all about I figured it would be all ghost stories and such but it's much more than that. I can't stop thinking about it, especially that last story (which the book is named for). Wow. ( )
  cosiari | Jul 3, 2017 |
These short stories were disturbing, in my opinion. They gave me a feeling of dread and at times I felt emotionally sick reading them. It was not my taste at all! But, they were very well written and that is not something I can deny. I also noticed how Enriquez was able to intertwine social issues into the stories even when the focus was on another topic. She is a great writer, so I'm not going to give this collection a low rating just because the subject matter wasn't my taste. Not this time anyway. ( )
  Derby_Lane | Jun 27, 2017 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 045149511X, Hardcover)

An arresting collection of short stories, reminiscent of Shirley Jackson and Julio Cortazar, by an exciting new international talent.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 06 Sep 2016 19:07:35 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Mariana Enriquez's book Things We Lost in the Fire is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,687,912 books! | Top bar: Always visible