The Flame Bearer (Saxon Tales) by Bernard…

The Flame Bearer (Saxon Tales) (edition 2017)

by Bernard Cornwell (Author)

4991136,305 (4)8
The brand new novel in Bernard Cornwell's number one bestselling series on the making of England and the fate of his great hero, Uhtred of Bebbanburg. BBC2's major TV show THE LAST KINGDOM is based on the first two books in the series. From the day it was stolen from me I had dreamed of recapturing Bebbanburg. The great fort was built on a rock that was almost an island, it was massive, it could only be approached on land by a single narrow track - and it was mine. Britain is in a state of uneasy peace. Northumbria's Viking ruler, Sigtryggr, and Mercia's Saxon Queen Aethelflaed have agreed a truce. And so England's greatest warrior, Uhtred of Bebbanburg, at last has the chance to take back the home his traitorous uncle stole from him so many years ago - and which his scheming cousin still occupies. But fate is inexorable and the enemies Uhtred has made and the oaths he has sworn combine to distract him from his dream of recapturing Bebbanburg. New enemies enter into the fight for England's kingdoms: the redoubtable Constantin of Scotland seizes an opportunity for conquest and leads his armies south. Britain's precarious peace threatens to turn into a war of annihilation. But Uhtred is determined that nothing, neither the new enemies nor the old foes who combine against him, will keep him from his birthright. He is the Lord of Bebbanburg, but he will need all the skills he has learned in a lifetime of war to make his dream come true.… (more)
Member:Rick_Shafer
Title:The Flame Bearer (Saxon Tales)
Authors:Bernard Cornwell (Author)
Info:Harper Paperbacks (2017), Edition: Reprint, 304 pages

The Flame Bearer by Bernard Cornwell

Time is as inexorable as fate, and we have come to Uhtred's last attempt on Bebbanburg. I shall not tell you how it goes except to say there is a tactical situation of byzantine complexity at the end of the book. Quite fun, as usual and Cornwell's historical note at the end is illuminating. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Mar 4, 2021 |
He's home at last!!! ( )
  aldimartino | Nov 24, 2020 |
He's home at last!!! ( )
  Andy_DiMartino | Nov 24, 2020 |
This is the tenth novel in the Uhtred series. In this one, King Edward the Elder's son in law Aethelhelm is plotting with various others to ensure that this grandson succeeds to the throne, rather than the King's eldest son, by an earlier wife, Athelstan. Danes, Scots and various others all form part of the complex tapestry of struggle across the country. More centrally, our "hero" Uhtred finally succeeds in his lifetime's ambition to recapture his ancestral home, the fortress of Bebbanburgh, usurped by his uncle when he was a child. Needless to say, this struggle involves the usual bloodlust and battle-joy, Uhtred and his followers swimming through the blood of their enemies to win victory. But this victory does not mark the end of Uhtred's story, as there are at least two more books to follow. ( )
  john257hopper | Oct 4, 2019 |
(23) I have lost track of what number in the series this is. What is clear to me is that my interest is waning. In this one, the only Danish kingdom that is left to conquer is Northumbria, ruled by Uhtred's son-in-law. Will he possible fight against the Saxons this time? Or will he finally, at long last, pursue his dream of the conquest of Bebbanburg. His ancestral lands are now besieged by the Scots and his cousin may be aligned with King Edward. . . what is a blood-thirsty warrior to do?

The plot felt particularly formulaic this time - perhaps finally circa book number 10 or so, the magic failed to take hold. The writing was pedestrian and the storytelling fell a bit flat this time. I expected Uhtred's son to have a bit more character - there really is no other character but Uhtred in this one. I dunno, despite what should be really the climax of the series - I felt a bit bored.

I think there is maybe one more that has been published though I am not sure that it is a true ending. I still would love to watch another Netflix season, but overall, my interest has waned since King Alfred died. I am looking forward to some sort of wrap-up to the series. This one was almost a bit of a chore. ( )
  jhowell | May 15, 2019 |

Belongs to Series

It began with three ships.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,071,465 books! | Top bar: Always visible