The Chilbury Ladies' Choir: A Novel by…

The Chilbury Ladies' Choir: A Novel (edition 2017)

by Jennifer Ryan (Author)

Member:Scarlet-Aingeal
Title:The Chilbury Ladies' Choir: A Novel
Authors:Jennifer Ryan (Author)
Info:Crown (2017), 386 pages
Collections:Your library, Read, Read in 2017, Historical Fiction, NetGalley
Rating:***
Tags:Historical Fiction

The Chilbury Ladies' Choir by Jennifer Ryan

Letters from Skye by Jessica Brockmole (Anonymous user)
    The Silver Locket by Margaret James (joriestory)
    joriestory: I love small townes and villages being showcased in historical fiction and these two stories are equally enjoyable due to their settings! You get a firm glimpse into village life but also, how the lives of those in the village can be affected by events happening outside of their setting, too.… (more)
    The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer (coppers)

English (129)  Piratical (1)  All (130)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I found the characters to be endearing and the story line captivating. It was a delightful read, and I am happy to recommend it highly.
I recently watched the PBS series "Home Fires". "The Chilbury Ladies' Choir" reminded me of how much I enjoyed the era and setting-a small town in England during WWII. I found it to have much the same charm and a similar plot with strong and capable women finding ways to support their men and carry on in their absence.
Music transcends so many differences. The women in this story build on that to inspire and uplift themselves and those around them. They find a way to connect with one another that produced bonds and deepens friendships. I appreciated this and so much more in this book. I quite honestly am sad to say goodby to these fictional friends.
I thank the publisher and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this title. ( )
  c.archer | Jun 28, 2017 |
1940 and the small village of Chilbury in Kent is feeling the effects of the war. One local man has already been killed and many residents are working at the military base at Litchfield. At the Manor the Brigadier is desperate that his wife gives birth to a son and heir after his only son's death, he enlisted local midwife Mrs Paltry to ensure that this happens. His eldest daughter Venetia has fallen for an artist with secrets and his youngest is pining for a man in love with her sister. Czech refugee Silvie knows nothing of the fate of her family and nurse Mrs Tilling is suspicious of Mrs Paltry but has her own issues to deal with, notably the billeting of an army officer in her son's bedroom. Amongst all of this the church choir tries to continue with only female members.

Ostensibly this book is based on the memoirs of the author's grandmother and other women on the home front which makes the sometimes silly plot twists actually feel more realistic. At it's core this is a heart-warming book about survival and community. Yes, it is frothy in the main and is a simple, non-challenging read but it is also very readable. I do think there are way too many plot lines crammed into a short novel but I do like Ryan effervescent writing style and I think this book will develop a wide readership. ( )
  pluckedhighbrow | Jun 26, 2017 |
a sweet little book ( )
  mfabriz | Jun 26, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A fun book to read in the spring or summer time. All the men in the village have gone off to war and the choir is subsequently disbanded. Miss Primrose Trent comes to the village and starts the ladies' choir. The story is told through letters, diary entries, and private notes. Lots of twists and turns, including a baby swapping! Fun to read. ( )
  briandrewz | Jun 15, 2017 |
Melodrama with multiple happy endings. A formula that has worked from the invention of the printing press (and probably longer than that. Historical fiction in WWII England adds to the story but the real deal is the voice acting on this CD. The narration of Edwina is worth the price of admission. ( )
  librarygeek33 | Jun 13, 2017 |

Jennifer Ryanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Smit, CatherineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my grandmother, Mrs. Eileen Beckley, and the women of the Home Front.
First funeral of the war, and our little village choir simply couldn't sing in tune.
But if we don't think about our death until we die, how can we decide how we want to live?

amazon ca :As England enters World War II's dark early days, spirited music professor Primrose Trent, recently arrived to the village of Chilbury, emboldens the women of the town to defy the Vicar's stuffy edict to shutter the church's choir in the absence of men and instead "carry on singing." Resurrecting themselves as "The Chilbury Ladies' Choir," the women of this small village soon use their joint song to lift up themselves, and the community, as the war tears through their lives.

Told through letters and journals, THE CHILBURY LADIES' CHOIR moves seamlessly from budding romances to village intrigues to heartbreaking matters of life and death. As we come to know the struggles of the charismatic members of this unforgettable outfit-- a timid widow worried over her son at the front; the town beauty drawn to a rakish artist; her younger sister nursing an impossible crush and dabbling in politics she doesn't understand; a young Jewish refugee hiding secrets about her family, and a conniving midwife plotting to outrun her seedy past-- we come to see how the strength each finds in the choir's collective voice reverberates in her individual life. In turns funny, charming and heart-wrenching, this lovingly executed ensemble novel will charm and inspire, illuminating the true spirit of the women on the homefront, in a village of indomitable spirit, at the dawn of a most terrible conflict.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Jennifer Ryan's book The Chilbury Ladies' Choir is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Jennifer Ryan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,325,151 books! | Top bar: Always visible