Plainsong by Kent Haruf

Plainsong (original 1999; edition 2000)

by Kent Haruf (Author)

Series: Plainsong (1), Holt cycle (3)

4,8251801,606 (4)595
A heartstrong story of family and romance, tribulation and tenacity, set on the High Plains east of Denver.
Member:bmaynard
Title:Plainsong
Authors:Kent Haruf (Author)
Info:Vintage (2000), Edition: First Printing, 301 pages
Collections:MLIS, Your library

Plainsong by Kent Haruf (1999)

English (168)  Italian (4)  Catalan (2)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (179)
Beautiful story without a defined plot, but there was no need for one as the characters are enough. The writing is simple, with no quotation marks, but done so perfectly I didn't notice. The McPheron brothers, how can you not love them? ( )
  almin | Sep 7, 2020 |
Vivid, true-to-life novel of life in a small town in Colorado in perhaps the 1980s. The story is told in chapters alternating among various inhabitants: Tom Guthrie, a high school teacher and his two young sons; Victoria, a pregnant out-of-wedlock teenager; Maggie, another teacher and the McPheron brothers, two old bachelor cattlemen. Exquisite prose, in which all through I could see people and events before my eyes. It reminded me somewhat of Saroyan's Human comedy and of Lake Wobegon, although after the first half the novel turned darker and menacing in spots. Most of the sexual situations I just skipped over, not because of any gratuitousness but they were just not to my personal taste.

Highly recommended. ( )
  janerawoof | Aug 14, 2020 |
Beautifully written, this is a story that will stay with me long after I put it down. ( )
  Chrissylou62 | Aug 1, 2020 |
This is a character driver series of stories about a bunch of different people in a small town all dealing with their own troubles.

The characters all end up being very endearing (The McPheron brothers are too pure for this world) and it ends in a very nice "found family" moment which is cute and I did enjoy reading most of it.

My issue is how slow the book starts. It was a massive slog and I considered abandoning this book until almost half way in before I really clicked with any of the characters.

The writing style also irritated me beyond belief. The author doesnt use quotation marks to designate someone speaking and its very jarring and confusing until youre familiar with the style ( )
1 vote rimtusaw243 | Jul 31, 2020 |
Victoria, siebzehn und schwanger, wird von ihrer Mutter vor die Tür gesetzt. Da überredet ihre Lehrerin Maggie die Brüder McPheron, zwei alte Viehzüchter, das Mädchen bei sich aufzunehmen. Ein erst widerwilliger Akt der Güte, der das Leben von sieben Menschen in der Kleinstadt Holt in Colorado umkrempelt und verwandelt. Vom Autor des Bestsellers ›Unsere Seelen bei Nacht‹.
  Fredo68 | May 18, 2020 |

Kent Harufprimary authorall editionscalculated
Carey, PeterIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pera, MartaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vosmaer, MartineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

Is contained in

Plainsong - the unisonous vocal music used in the Christian church from the earliest times; any simple and unadorned melody or air
For Cathy And in memory of Louis and Eleanor Haruf
Here was this man Tom Guthrie in Holt standing at the back window in the kitchen of his house smoking cigarettes and looking out over the back lot where the sun was just coming up.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,485,757 books! | Top bar: Always visible