Ms. Marvel Vol. 6: Civil War II by G. Willow…

Ms. Marvel Vol. 6: Civil War II (original 2016; edition 2016)

by G. Willow Wilson (Author)

Member:danierenae
Title:Ms. Marvel Vol. 6: Civil War II
Authors:G. Willow Wilson (Author)
Info:Marvel (2016), 136 pages
Collections:Favorites, Wishlist, Read but unowned
Rating:*****

Ms. Marvel Vol. 6: Civil War II by G. Willow Wilson (2016)

As with Spider-Woman and Mockingbird, Ms. Marvel was bound to get caught up in the Civil War II event. It surrounds a young inhuman who has predictive powers and calls into question the morality of jailing people who were prevented from committing their crimes. The Spider-Woman and Mockingbird storylines were pretty straightforward. Ms. Marvel's is not.

It's actually beautiful and genius and gives us a great look into her family history along the way. There are two things that come into play here, one is that while preventing a crime is great, it also means that the potential perpetrators didn't commit criminal acts and cannot be treated as such and then it brings into play the Lucifer effect that was studied during the Stanford Prison Experiment by Philip Zimbardo. Once the scenario is in place, what happens to those who do try to defy it? How long can it last before outside figures who are supposed to be moral step in?

Well, within the world of Marvel and the Civil War II, not too long. As we might remember from that run (reviewed here), the whole thing lasts long enough for things to get ugly among heroes but doesn't end with some crazy event bringing them back together. It ends rather disappointingly with a major problem for the two of the heroes that make quite a few heroes realign sides. Independent of the event (Hawkeye shooting Hulk) that makes our long standing heroes go off the rails, Ms. Marvel has personal troubles of her own at the end here and I look forward to seeing her really get right again.

My favorite issue of the set was the last one in Karachi. The idea of searching for the other side of yourself isn't exactly a new one among those of us who are first or second generation American. It's not unusual to never quite feel like you can be somewhere that celebrates all of you at the same time. It does make me wonder if other people feel that way.

The last issue of the volume had a bonus Red Widow story called the Last O.P.U.S. that okay. I'm not really into all the spy stuff, so it just doesn't catch my interest. ( )
  Calavari | Apr 5, 2018 |
This graphic novel developed in surprising ways as it delved into the moral issues of predicting and preventing crime, and attempting to hold the would-be perpetrator responsible. This brings Ms. Marvel into conflict with her beloved mentor, Captain Marvel, and creates a schism with her friends--especially her oldest and dearest friend, Bruno. The portrayal of emotions in some of these panels was just heartbreaking. ( )
  ladycato | Nov 29, 2017 |
This might be my favorite of the series. It just felt so relevant to the state of the world right now. ( )
  fablibrarian | Nov 7, 2017 |
This was a bit annoying because it is the only Marvel superhero comic I am reading right now. I know I am missing some context with the big crossover event going on. Sorry Marvel but I am not going to seek out all the other comics to get the whole story. I still liked this one for the backstory on Kamala and her family plus it has an emotional punch in the stomach which I won't spoil for others. ( )
  JJbooklvr | Aug 28, 2017 |
Picked this up after I finished Vol. 5, only to find to my surprise that I had already read it. Confusing!

While I appreciated the creative exploration of predictive criminology, I found the villain a little too annoying to be realistic, and the intra-team conflict (though obviously consistent with the whole Civil War concept) just bugged me. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Aug 8, 2017 |

Caramagna, JoeLetterersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Herring, IanColoristsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kniivila, IrmaColoristsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stewart, CameronCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0785196129, Paperback)

The Next Generation! As civil war brews, Ms. Marvel teams up with Spider-Man and Nova in their biggest challenge yet: a tri-state academic competition. But math isn't the only problem as tremors of war begin to surface. The best, brightest (and most adorable) heroes face off in the road to Marvel's biggest battle. Move over Iron Man, the kids got this.

COLLECTING: MS. MARVEL 7-12

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 25 Jul 2016 17:02:42 -0400)

"There's a war brewing at Coles Academic High School! While Civil War II heats up, the next generation of Avengers has bigger things to worry about--like a tri-state academic competition! As rival schools clash, Ms. Marvel's teammates, Spider-Man and Nova, are now her enemies! But when Kamala gets called to the real battle's front line, she faces a fight she can't embiggen her way out of. She's about to learn a valuable lesson: Never meet your idols! As war intensifies, tragedy strikes too close to home--and Ms. Marvel must choose between her heroes and her family. When friends become foes, Ms. Marvel struggles to put her life and Jersey City back together. Kamala will be forced to grow up fast and find her true place in the world. But will she be an international sensation--or a menace?"--Page 4 of cover.… (more)

G. Willow Wilson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,414,876 books! | Top bar: Always visible