Ms. Marvel Vol. 6: Civil War II by G. Willow…

Ms. Marvel Vol. 6: Civil War II (original 2016; edition 2016)

by G. Willow Wilson (Author)

2021484,815 (4.1)12
Member:danierenae
Title:Ms. Marvel Vol. 6: Civil War II
Authors:G. Willow Wilson (Author)
Info:Marvel (2016), 136 pages
Collections:Favorites, Wishlist, Read but unowned
Rating:*****

Ms. Marvel Vol. 6: Civil War II by G. Willow Wilson (2016)

English (13)  Swedish (1)  All languages (14)
4 🌟

Ah! This volume explored Kamala's roots, gave us a run in with Miles Morales, and... Zoe! Zoe, darling, we been knew!!! But it was still good to get in confirmed.
And then... and then it tore my heart out and tipped it to pieces.

I hope we'll see more of that guy at the end though. He and Kamala were double aesthetic in those Pakistani superhero costumes 👌👌 ( )
  localbeehunter | Jan 15, 2019 |
Ms. Marvel is faced with the moral implications of so-called "predictive justice." Is it OK to arrest and detain a person before they've committed a crime?

A meta-human named Ulysses uses mathematical probabilities to identify people who are about to commit a crime, and Ms. Marvel's idol "Captain Marvel" assembles a team to intercept the people whom Ulysses identifies. Ms. Marvel is given the task of being Captain Marvel's liaison and supervisor for the team.

At first Ms. Marvel is relieved at at the idea of no longer having to worry if people she cares about are in danger, by stopping dangerous criminals before they can hurt anybody. And so excited is Ms. Marvel to be in a position of responsibility that was given to her by her idol, that she doesn't listen when friends and family raise ethical concerns.

When Ulysses casts his predictions toward someone Ms. Marvel actually knows -- a boy she goes to high school with, not a dangerous criminal -- she begins to have her doubts.

Ms. Marvel learns that no matter how accurate are Ulysses' mathematical probabilities, interpretation by humans is still prey to human fallacies and biases. This knowledge does not come without cost, however; it may forever jeopardize Ms. Marvel's relationships with people she cares about.

In ordinary life, Ms. Marvel is a teen named Kamala Khan, and one of the aspects of this character that appeal to me is that she is young and inexperienced; she doesn't have all the answers, but tries to make her way as best she can.

Kamala obtained polymorphic powers when a "Terrigen mist" descended upon Jersey City -- and the reason that Kamala was affected is because she has inhuman genes.

This volume offers glimpses at Ms. Marvel's family background, as it relates to their inhuman origins. It begins with her great-grandmother and her family fleeing Mumbai in 1947.

India has won independence from Britain as a British colony, and in many major cities, sectarian violence has erupted between Hindus and Muslims.

As she leaves with her family to resettle in the newly-formed state of Pakistan, Kamala's great-grandmother reflects that she's always felt that the child she carries "comes from somewhere else, somewhere safe, beyond the falling stars." That child will be Kamala's grandmother.

Later, we're privy to a conversation between Kamala's mother Muneeba and her own mother, Kamala's grandmother, as Muneeba and her husband prepare to move with their family from Pakistan to the United States.

"Sometimes," Muneeba says, "I look up at the stars and I feel like I've already traveled thousands and thousands of miles."

Muneeba's mother reassures her that there is nothing wrong with her, sharing, "I've always thought there is some ... secret we carry, a strength that is waiting to appear ... and one day, when it is most needed ... it will appear." ( )
  Cynthia_Parkhill | Nov 24, 2018 |
This was my favorite Ms Marvel so far. I loved the historic tidbits about Pakistan and Kamala’s family, and her searching for her roots. And I was said for... you will see. I don’t want to give out spoilers. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
I like the characters in this book, but the plots are always so underwhelming or outright stupid. Is Marvel's big Civil War II crossover really just a rehash of Minority Report? I would have liked to have seen what G. Willow Wilson could have done with this book if she didn't have to keep shoehorning company-wide crossovers into it. So much wasted potential. ( )
  villemezbrown | Jul 28, 2018 |
As with Spider-Woman and Mockingbird, Ms. Marvel was bound to get caught up in the Civil War II event. It surrounds a young inhuman who has predictive powers and calls into question the morality of jailing people who were prevented from committing their crimes. The Spider-Woman and Mockingbird storylines were pretty straightforward. Ms. Marvel's is not.

It's actually beautiful and genius and gives us a great look into her family history along the way. There are two things that come into play here, one is that while preventing a crime is great, it also means that the potential perpetrators didn't commit criminal acts and cannot be treated as such and then it brings into play the Lucifer effect that was studied during the Stanford Prison Experiment by Philip Zimbardo. Once the scenario is in place, what happens to those who do try to defy it? How long can it last before outside figures who are supposed to be moral step in?

Well, within the world of Marvel and the Civil War II, not too long. As we might remember from that run (reviewed here), the whole thing lasts long enough for things to get ugly among heroes but doesn't end with some crazy event bringing them back together. It ends rather disappointingly with a major problem for the two of the heroes that make quite a few heroes realign sides. Independent of the event (Hawkeye shooting Hulk) that makes our long standing heroes go off the rails, Ms. Marvel has personal troubles of her own at the end here and I look forward to seeing her really get right again.

My favorite issue of the set was the last one in Karachi. The idea of searching for the other side of yourself isn't exactly a new one among those of us who are first or second generation American. It's not unusual to never quite feel like you can be somewhere that celebrates all of you at the same time. It does make me wonder if other people feel that way.

The last issue of the volume had a bonus Red Widow story called the Last O.P.U.S. that okay. I'm not really into all the spy stuff, so it just doesn't catch my interest. ( )
  Calavari | Apr 5, 2018 |

Caramagna, JoeLetterersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Herring, IanColoristsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kniivila, IrmaColoristsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stewart, CameronCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0785196129, Paperback)

The Next Generation! As civil war brews, Ms. Marvel teams up with Spider-Man and Nova in their biggest challenge yet: a tri-state academic competition. But math isn't the only problem as tremors of war begin to surface. The best, brightest (and most adorable) heroes face off in the road to Marvel's biggest battle. Move over Iron Man, the kids got this.

COLLECTING: MS. MARVEL 7-12

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 25 Jul 2016 17:02:42 -0400)

"There's a war brewing at Coles Academic High School! While Civil War II heats up, the next generation of Avengers has bigger things to worry about- like a tri-state academic competition! As rival schools clash, Ms. Marvel's teammates, Spider-Man and Nova, are now her enemies! But when Kamala gets called to the real battle's front line, she faces a fight she can't embiggen her way out of. She's about to learn a valuable lesson: Never meet your idols! As war intensifies, tragedy strikes too close to home- and Ms. Marvel must choose between her heroes and her family. When friends become foes, Ms. Marvel struggles to put her life and Jersey City back together. Kamala will be forced to grow up fast and find her true place in the world. But will she be an international sensation...or a menace?"--Page 4 of cover.… (more)

G. Willow Wilson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,747,480 books! | Top bar: Always visible