The Ship Beyond Time by Heidi Heilig

The Ship Beyond Time

by Heidi Heilig

The Ship Beyond Time is a sequel to Heilig's earlier novel, The Girl from Everywhere. In both, Nix is a teenage girl who travels by boat with her father & a small crew to various locations in various time periods, provided they have a map to get them there. It's an interesting variation on the time travel theme.

I really wanted to like the first book in this series, and though the idea was there, I was disappointed in its execution. While I did enjoy the plot of this 2nd book better than the first and overall I was more engaged with this one, it still lacked a lot of the plot refinement that was also missing in the first book. I give liberty to some of the time travel elements, because time travel stories always leave me at least a little bit confused. They're just mind bending to me, but not in a bad way. But other than that, there were also just too many quick jumps in the plot that made the story feel disjointed. I often felt like small chunks of the story were left out.

As a young adult story, this was an okay read, but it could've been better. ( )
  indygo88 | Apr 24, 2017 |
I had been on pins and needles for this book after inhaling (and loving) the previous novel, The Girl From Everywhere (which also made my top ten of 2016). I'm really wrestling over whether this book was as good as the first one -- or better -- and it's given me a serious book hangover.

I'm not sure I can really recap the story without getting into the weeds, and I really don't want to give away anything crucial. Our heroine, Nix, and her father, Slate, have the ability to travel through time, and to any place, if given a map of said time/place.

Picking up immediately where The Girl From Everywhere ended, this book dives into the now what? of the Nix's life and abilities. They've got a new crew member who has just learned about Nix and her father Slate and their incredible ability to sail through time; Nix's father has just decided to try, once more, to kick his addiction and he's obviously ill and struggling. Without Slate's obsessive search for Nix's mother to drive them, it's up to Nix to figure out what the Temptation's next voyage will be.

A strange run-in propels them to the mythical island of Ker-Ys, an Atlantis-like "utopia" off the coast of France. But from their first moments there, it's obvious something is amiss, and most of the novel focuses on untangling just what is wrong.

As with the previous book, Heilig merges real life history with her story; in this case, the tragic story of Donald Crowhurst and the pagan-Christian morality tale of Ker-Ys. (It's fine to be unfamiliar with both stories, as I was, and I don't think I missed anything. I had a marvelous time googling upon finishing!) Heilig dives deeply into the "science" of Nix's abilities as well as the questions of free will, identity, fate, obligation, and parallel universes, and it makes this wonderful adventure tale all the more rich and emotional.

Despite all the flash-bang of the intriguing world-building, the heart of the novel -- and what makes both books so compelling -- is its people. Nix is a fantastic heroine -- smart, competent, mature for her age without being an adult dressed as a teen -- and the other characters are frustratingly, wonderfully complicated as well.

I was captivated with this book and could not put it down; but I'm pretty sure I'm going to reread it this month because I want to be re-immersed in her world. I can't recommend both books enough, and I'm so eager to see what Heilig comes out with next. ( )
  unabridgedchick | Mar 23, 2017 |
The Ship Beyond Time by Heidi Heilig is the second book in the Girl from Everywhere series. I have to say that this book far surpassed my expectations!

The characters were engaging. The plot had me laughing, crying, cheering and at times, sitting on the edge of my seat to what was going to happen. All in all, one fantastic book ~ 5 Stars!

I received this book for free. A favorable review was not required and all views expressed are my own. Thank you to Greenwillow books and Edelweiss for the opportunity to read and review this book. ( )
  mrsrenee | Mar 1, 2017 |

Heidi Heilig is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,408,592 books! | Top bar: Always visible