The Ship Beyond Time by Heidi Heilig

The Ship Beyond Time

by Heidi Heilig

This YA time traveling book is the sequel to The Girl from Everywhere, and I suggest the series be read in order. While I find the time traveling method quite novel, reading The Ship Beyond Time made me realize I wasn’t caring about the characters enough to want to continue with this series.

Nyx has finally taken the helm, directing her family’s ship through the tides of history. She’s thrilled… until she learns what fate awaits her. She’s destined to suffer the same fate has her father, losing the one she loves. Is it possible to change time itself? A mysterious stranger claims he knows the secret of it, and he requests Nyx’s presence at a mythical island where nothing is as it seems.

Here’s my main problem with The Ship Beyond Time: I don’t care a whit for the romance subplot, and a large portion of the stakes revolve around the romance. I am thankful that The Ship Beyond Time ditches the love triangle tentatively established by the first book. I’d rather have one love interest I don’t care about than two. Still, this resulted in me finding the beginning of the book extraordinarily boring. While things did get a bit more interesting later on, the pacing was terribly off.

At a certain point, I realized that it wasn’t just the love interests I didn’t care about… it was everyone, including Nyx herself. Characters could suffer tragic fates, and my reaction would be, “Okay, whatever.” I can never put my finger on what makes me care about a character; it’s a nebulous quality that none of the cast of The Ship Beyond Time possessed.

I also feel like The Ship Beyond Time sets up some interesting ideas which it never explores in a satisfactory way. I do like how the series has had time looping back around on itself in a way reminiscent of Ted Chiang’s “The Story of Your Life” (the basis for the movie Arrival). But for a book purporting to be about the possibility of changing time, The Ship Beyond Time doesn’t deal with the issue much beyond Nyx’s personal focus. While a larger scale dilemma does arrive towards the end of the book, the ethics of the question are never fully considered. Generally, I found the book biting on more than it could chew in terms of thematic material.

The Ship Beyond Time is not bad, it’s simply mediocre. The plot was slow to start, and it never wowed me even when it did show up. The characters weren’t memorable. The most interesting material went unexplored. While I think the series has potential, I won’t be continuing with it.

Originally posted on The Illustrated Page. ( )
  pwaites | Jun 13, 2017 |
The Ship Beyond Time is a sequel to Heilig's earlier novel, The Girl from Everywhere. In both, Nix is a teenage girl who travels by boat with her father & a small crew to various locations in various time periods, provided they have a map to get them there. It's an interesting variation on the time travel theme.

I really wanted to like the first book in this series, and though the idea was there, I was disappointed in its execution. While I did enjoy the plot of this 2nd book better than the first and overall I was more engaged with this one, it still lacked a lot of the plot refinement that was also missing in the first book. I give liberty to some of the time travel elements, because time travel stories always leave me at least a little bit confused. They're just mind bending to me, but not in a bad way. But other than that, there were also just too many quick jumps in the plot that made the story feel disjointed. I often felt like small chunks of the story were left out.

As a young adult story, this was an okay read, but it could've been better. ( )
  indygo88 | Apr 24, 2017 |
I had been on pins and needles for this book after inhaling (and loving) the previous novel, The Girl From Everywhere (which also made my top ten of 2016). I'm really wrestling over whether this book was as good as the first one -- or better -- and it's given me a serious book hangover.

I'm not sure I can really recap the story without getting into the weeds, and I really don't want to give away anything crucial. Our heroine, Nix, and her father, Slate, have the ability to travel through time, and to any place, if given a map of said time/place.

Picking up immediately where The Girl From Everywhere ended, this book dives into the now what? of the Nix's life and abilities. They've got a new crew member who has just learned about Nix and her father Slate and their incredible ability to sail through time; Nix's father has just decided to try, once more, to kick his addiction and he's obviously ill and struggling. Without Slate's obsessive search for Nix's mother to drive them, it's up to Nix to figure out what the Temptation's next voyage will be.

A strange run-in propels them to the mythical island of Ker-Ys, an Atlantis-like "utopia" off the coast of France. But from their first moments there, it's obvious something is amiss, and most of the novel focuses on untangling just what is wrong.

As with the previous book, Heilig merges real life history with her story; in this case, the tragic story of Donald Crowhurst and the pagan-Christian morality tale of Ker-Ys. (It's fine to be unfamiliar with both stories, as I was, and I don't think I missed anything. I had a marvelous time googling upon finishing!) Heilig dives deeply into the "science" of Nix's abilities as well as the questions of free will, identity, fate, obligation, and parallel universes, and it makes this wonderful adventure tale all the more rich and emotional.

Despite all the flash-bang of the intriguing world-building, the heart of the novel -- and what makes both books so compelling -- is its people. Nix is a fantastic heroine -- smart, competent, mature for her age without being an adult dressed as a teen -- and the other characters are frustratingly, wonderfully complicated as well.

I was captivated with this book and could not put it down; but I'm pretty sure I'm going to reread it this month because I want to be re-immersed in her world. I can't recommend both books enough, and I'm so eager to see what Heilig comes out with next. ( )
  unabridgedchick | Mar 23, 2017 |
The Ship Beyond Time by Heidi Heilig is the second book in the Girl from Everywhere series. I have to say that this book far surpassed my expectations!

The characters were engaging. The plot had me laughing, crying, cheering and at times, sitting on the edge of my seat to what was going to happen. All in all, one fantastic book ~ 5 Stars!

I received this book for free. A favorable review was not required and all views expressed are my own. Thank you to Greenwillow books and Edelweiss for the opportunity to read and review this book. ( )
  mrsrenee | Mar 1, 2017 |

Heidi Heilig is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,213,885 books! | Top bar: Always visible