A Family Is a Family Is a Family by Sara…

A Family Is a Family Is a Family (edition 2016)

by Sara O'Leary (Author)

19616108,653 (4.23)2
"When a teacher asks the children in her class to think about what makes their families special, the answers are all different in many ways -- but the same in the one way that matters most of all. One child is worried that her family is just too different to explain, but listens as her classmates talk about what makes their families special. One is raised by a grandmother, and another has two dads. One is full of stepsiblings, and another has a new baby"--Publisher.… (more)
Member:karenHart
Title:A Family Is a Family Is a Family
Authors:Sara O'Leary (Author)
Info:Groundwood Books (2016), 32 pages

A Family Is a Family Is a Family by Sara O'Leary

Heather Has Two Mommies by Leslea Newman (aspirit)
    aspirit: A similar story with the same message is told in a different style.

This book would be appropriate for primary grade levels. This is a book about recognizes that each family looks different. It walks the readers through some differences families may have but encourages them to treat them all with respect and kindness. This book would be a good fit for lessons about inclusion, anti-bullying, or about families. ( )
  dmckibbon | Mar 5, 2021 |
Recommended by Maya Bery

A class discussion about what makes families special has one little girl unsure what to say, because "My family is not like everybody else's." But after hearing about everyone else's special families - lots of kids, two moms, blended families, adopted kids, etc. - the girl shares her foster mother's response when a stranger in a park asked which ones were her real children: "Oh, I don't have any imaginary children. All my children are real." The class concludes, "A family...is a family...is a family!" Lovely and inclusive.

Illustrations are ink on paper and digital painting.

See also: All Are Welcome by Alexandra Penfold, Ways to Welcome by Linda Ashman, Two Is Enough by Janna Matthies, Just Like A Mama by Alice Faye Duncan ( )
  JennyArch | Jan 14, 2021 |
Author Sara O'Leary and illustrator Qin Leng team up in this delightful Canadian picture-book, which explores all of the different kinds of families that exist. The narrator, participating in a class discussion of family, is afraid that their own might be considered weird, but after listening to the other pupils, realizes that families come in every size and configuration. Families with same-sex parents, adoptive and foster families, biracial families, families of color, families where the grandparent is the guardian, families where the parent is disabled - in the end, "a family is a family is a family..."

A sweet, happy, upbeat celebration of family, A Family Is a Family Is a Family has a little something for every child, and offers some gentle reassurance that while every family is different, they all have great value. I have enjoyed other books from both O'Leary (I Am Sadie) and Leng (Dear Baobab, The Better Tree Fort), so I was not surprised to find this one so charming. The narrative is simple but effective, while the artwork is immensely expressive. Together, they capture the simultaneously extraordinary and everyday nature of being in a family unit. Recommended to picture-book readers looking for titles that celebrate diverse families. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Oct 22, 2020 |
Another book surveying the various types of families out there - lots of great representation here in all areas of diversity. Leng's artwork is delightful and playful with a soft colour palette. I think the strength of this book is how the description of the various families are direct quotes from children characters. A lot of these kinds of books come off as generic but having the kids describe their families in their own words takes this one to a different level. ( )
  scout101 | Sep 15, 2020 |
A family is a family is a family is a children’s picture book written by Sara O’ Leary and published by Groundwood books in 2017. This is a book that highlights how families are different from the perspectives of young children. When a teacher asks her students to share what is special about their families, one student is afraid their family is weird. However, she realizes everyone’s family is different, but they are all the same in the way that they are families and have love. I liked the images and characters in this book. The characters were relatable and offered representation for so many different types of families including: families with same-sex parents, single parent families, adoptive families, foster families, and families with lots of kids all with different skin tones and hair types. The images were done in a style that I enjoyed and had lots of details in them. The theme in this book is family. Another theme is diversity. I really liked the message this book gives that families are all unique and we should not feel ashamed of our family because what is important is that we have families that love us.
  chelleruiz6 | May 15, 2020 |

Sara O'Learyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Leng, QinIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

When a teacher asks the children in her class to think about what makes their families special, the answers are all different in many ways — but the same in the one way that matters most of all.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,290,674 books! | Top bar: Always visible