Before He Kills by Blake Pierce

Before He Kills

by Blake Pierce

In the cornfields of Nebraska a woman is found murdered, strung up on a pole, the victim of a deranged killer. It doesn't take long for the police to realize a serial killer is on the loose?and that his spree has just begun. Detective Mackenzie White, young, tough, smarter than the aging, chauvinistic men on her local force, finds herself called in grudgingly to help solve it. As much as the other officers hate to admit it, they need her young, brilliant mind, which has already helped crack cold cases that had left them stumped. Yet even for Mackenzie this new case proves an impossible riddle, something the likes of which she?and the local force?have ever seen. With the FBI called in, together, an intense manhunt ensues. Mackenzie, reeling from her own dark past, her failed relationships, and her undeniable attraction to the new FBI agent, finds herself battling her own demons as her hunt for the killer takes her to the darkest places of her mind. As she delves into the killer's mind, obsessing over his twisted psychology, she finds that evil truly does exist. She only hopes it will not be too late to extricate herself from it, as her entire life collapses around her. As more bodies turn up dead and a frantic race against time ensues, there is no way out but to find him before he kills again.… (more)

20% in and so far I'm annoyed. Mackenzie's partner is a jackass. I hope she shows him what's up. Infuriating men thinking women can't do things as well as them.

40% in now and oh boy this new juicy guy from the FBI seems to be just what Mackenzie needs. Now if only she could get rid of the baggage she calls the boyfriend. So right now I obviously have no idea who the murderer is but I believe he does it for religious reasons. The line of work the women are in leads me to believe that, now if only I could figure out the numbers on the poles, maybe bible verses???

75% in now:
**"And the LORD spoke unto Moses, saying, Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, If any man’s wife go aside, and commit a trespass against him, and a man lie with her carnally, and it be hid from the eyes of her husband, and be kept close, and she be defiled, and there be no witness against her, neither she be taken with the manner; and the spirit of jealousy come upon him, and he be jealous of his wife, and she be defiled: or if the spirit of jealousy come upon him, and he be jealous of his wife, and she be not defiled: Then shall the man bring his wife unto the priest." **

I KNEW IT!!!!!

So I have a feeling 1 of 2 things will happen here. Mackenzie is either going to leave to check out the "other lead" OR something is going to go wrong and they're not going to get the guy, maybe Mackenzie is the one he has his eyes set on? Guess I need to find out!

******Finally done.

So this may not have been my favorite series by Blake Pierce but this is probably my 2nd out of the 3 I've read so far. The detail he puts into these books is really amazing. Makes me wonder how a writer has that many in depth details in his head for so many different mystery/suspense stories. I liked how this book took on a more religious tone it was very well thought out. Defiantly a great read. I LOVED the character Mackenzie, strong, smart as hell and fierce. ( )
  nicolemeier111 | Aug 29, 2018 |
This book was good in that it wove together elements that are attractive to me about crime thrillers.

The prolouge was excellent. At chapter one, the first paragraph grabs you with the descriptive words, "a dead sound, grazing her jacket".

Detective Mackenzie White gains the trust of a victims son and fills the role of a strong female lead profiling to locate and stop a serial killer. All of this makes for a super-fast read that was easy to follow.

My conclusion is: I really enjoy the writing but would have liked to have seen more strength of character- up front -from the local policemen.

I received this for free from Amazon for Kindle. ( )
  LorisBook | Jul 16, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,858,572 books! | Top bar: Always visible