Treasure Island (Enriched Classics Series)…

Treasure Island (Enriched Classics Series) (original 1883; edition 2005)

by Robert Louis Stevenson

22,93632590 (3.82)1 / 1108
Member:viragodiva
Title:Treasure Island (Enriched Classics Series)
Authors:Robert Louis Stevenson
Info:Pocket (2005), Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages

Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson (Author) (1883)

King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: King Solomon's Mines was written as a result of a wager between H. Rider Haggard and his brother on whether he could write a novel half as good as R. L. Stevenson's Treasure Island. Why not read them both and decide for yourself?
    The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (krizia_lazaro)
    Moonfleet by John Meade Falkner (atimco, FernandoH)
    atimco: Both are classic adventure stories with boys as narrators. Quite fun.
    Silver: Return to Treasure Island by Andrew Motion (Cecrow)
    Captain Blood by Rafael Sabatini (mcenroeucsb)
    Stormchaser by Paul Stewart (Inky_Fingers)
    Inky_Fingers: Pirates is not the only thing these two books have in common. They are both incredibly exciting adventures and have wonderfully brave young heroes.
    The Buccaneers by Iain Lawrence (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Pirates and hijinks on the high seas abound in both - in Treasure Island, Jim Hawkins is brought along on an expedition to find a pirate's buried treasure and faces betrayal and danger from pirates & the crew. In Buccaneers, the crew fears that a castaway they pick up in the middle of the ocean is a Jonah who will betray them to the most vicious pirate on the seas.… (more)
    The Coral Island by R. M. Ballantyne (Cecrow)
    Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Far from Crichton's best, but a fun pirate romp.
    The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: In both, the protagonist sets out to sea and must show great courage to rectify a grievous mistake that exposes themselves and the crew to great danger. Both excellent reads for the nautically-minded.
    The Story of Doctor Dolittle by Hugh Lofting (Morteana)
    The Pyrates by George MacDonald Fraser (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: If you have read lots of books about pirates and seen all the pirate movies, you'll probably enjoy Pyrates because it references most of them. If you're not a fanatic about all things pirate, you might want to skip Pyrates and try Fraser's Flashman series instead.… (more)
    Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe (chwiggy)
    The Amateur Emigrant / The Silverado Squatters by Robert Louis Stevenson (John_Vaughan)
    Nick of Time by Ted Bell (Homechicken)

English (296)  Spanish (8)  German (6)  French (4)  Dutch (4)  Swedish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (325)
This is the archetypal pirate story. We have "shiver me timbers", "Yo, ho, ho and a bottle of rum", pieces of eight, parrots, cutlasses, peg legs, etc. The whole shebang. It's also a very good story. Stevenson is a great author.

It interests me that a number of reviewers have complained that this book is difficult to read. Perhaps that's so for folks who began school after the Republican party began their assault on public education in the 1980s (or was it in the 1970s they set out to destroy public education?). Kinda weird given how public education was a special priority during the Eisenhower administration. For the young 'uns among us, Eisenhower was a Republican. I dunno, I found the book fascinating and easy enough to read when I read it in elementary school (and my 4th grade teacher drummed it into my brain that I could read at only half the level required for success in college) and I still found it fascinating and easy to read now that I'm rather more "mature". I feel a level of sadness for our future together. A society that doesn't value public education has doomed itself to a long, painful death. A society whose members can't appreciate Robert Louis Stevenson is rather shallow and pathetic.
1 vote lgpiper | Jun 21, 2019 |
Elementary
  SteppLibrary | May 21, 2019 |
This book is not bad in any sense of the way. The issue I had when I read it is that I read it when I was already an adult when the audience is clearly young children (ideally 8-12 year olds).

A clean fantasy with pirates and a nice, easygoing narrative, it is an ideal fun story for a parent to read to their children. Give it a shot! ( )
  chirikosan | Feb 25, 2019 |
Pure, adventurous delight. Stevenson's writing is direct and straight-forward. Writers like Dicken's who could effectively make use of the baroque in their narratives are rare, and Stevenson doesn't bother to try. 'Treasure Island' reads as clear as any modern YA novel without neglecting rich characters or adventure. There is none of the bloodless adventure of the Hardy Boys here. From "the Captain's" entrance into the old "Admiral Benbow" to that final cry of "Pieces of Eight!" the story is quick with new discoveries, breathless gunfights, adventures by moonlight, and life or death struggles on the deck of the Hispaniola.

The snobbery of the modernists be damned, literature owes a great deal to Stevenson's writing. Here, at least, is one that unconditionally lives up to its reputation. I would not hesitate to put this in the hands of any ten year old, or for that matter, any adult. ( )
1 vote ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
I have a soft spot for Treasure Island. It was the first book I ever read (at 12) that truly fucked with my head. Who are the good guys? Who are the bad guys? Wait, are the bad guys the good guys? No, wait, maybe there are no good guys...and there are no bad guys...maybe they're all just messed up people? Maybe this book is not as good as I remember it being, I feel open to that. But that was a cool life lesson to get at 12, and it is not every book that is able to pull off that nuanced dance of a child in a confusing world trying to figure out who to trust, and realizing it might be nobody. ( )
1 vote barnettie | Feb 3, 2019 |

Stevenson, Robert LouisAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Becker, May LambertonIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Binder, EberhardCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Britton, JasperNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brust, Karl FriedrichIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chen wei minsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Colfer, EoinIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is a parody of

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

TO THE HESITATING PURCHASER

If sailor tales to sailor tunes,
Storm and adventure, heat and cold,
If schooners, islands, and maroons,
And buchaneers, and buried gold,
And all the old romance, retold
exactly in the ancient way,
can please, as me they pleased of old,
The wiser youngsters of today:

-So be it, and fall on! If not,
If studious youth no longer crave,
His ancient appetites forgot,
Kingston, or Ballantyne the brave,
Or Cooper of the wood and wave,
So be it, also! And may I
And all my pirates share the grave
Where these and their ceations lie!
DEAD MAN'S GHOST

A thin, high, trembling voice sang:

"Fifteen men on the dead man's chest-
Yo-ho-ho, and a bottle of rum!"

I have never seen men more dreadfully affected than
the pirates. The color went from their faces like enchant-
ment; some leaped to their feet, some clawed hold cf
others.
"It's Flint!" cried Merry.
rum!
last words!"
"Darby M'Graw," the voice wailed. "Fetch aft the
rum!"

"They was his last words!" moaned Morgan. "Flint's
Still, Silver was unconquered. "I'm here to get that
stuff," he cried, "and I'll not be beat by man or devil."
"Belay there, John!" said Merry. "Don't you cross a
sperrit."
"There's seven hundred thousand pounds not a quarter
of a mile from here," Silver said. Sperrit? I never was
feared of Flint in his life, and by the powers, I'll face
him dead!"
To S.L.O., an American gentleman, in accordance with whose classic taste the following narrative has been designed, it is now, in return for numerous delightful hours, and with kindest wishes, dedicated by his affectionate friend, THE AUTHOR.
Squire Trelawny, Dr. Livesey, and the rest of these gentlemen having asked me to write down the whole particulars about Treasure Island, from the beginning to the end, keeping nothing back but the bearings of the island, and that only because there is still treasure not yet lifted, I take up my pen in the year of grace 17--, and go back to the time when my father kept the "Admiral Benbow" inn, and the brown old seaman, with the sabre cut, first took up his lodging under our roof.
"Fifteen men on the dead man's chest--

Yo ho ho, and a bottle of rum!

Drink and the devil had done for the rest--

Yo ho ho, and a bottle of rum!"
"Pieces of eight! Pieces of eight!"
This is the main work - Stevenson's Treasure Island (unabridged).  Please do not combine with omnibus/combined editions, anthologies or abridged editions, nor movie treatments nor audio books (unless, of course, they are complete and unabridged)
ISBN 0192141872 - per WorldCat is for The Oxford Book of English Detective Stories by Patricia Craig which matches the covers.
When Jim Hawkins finds an old pirate map showing a small island marked with a red cross, he knows that a fortune in gold lies waiting for him. What could be more exciting than buried treasure?
Aboard a ship named the Hispaniola, Jim sails toward Treasure Island. The voyage goes well until Jim overhears a frightening conversation. He learns that the one-legged man who signed on as ship's cook is really the famous pirate Long John Silver. And worse - he discovers that the crew are teaming up with Silver to steal the treasure. Can Jim save the gold...and save his life?
There and back again:
pirates, gold and adventures!
The sea-cook's the star.
(ed.pendragon)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451527046, Mass Market Paperback)

Climb aboard for the swashbuckling adventure of a lifetime. Treasure Islandhas enthralled (and caused slight seasickness) for decades. The names Long John Silver and Jim Hawkins are destined to remain pieces of folklore for as long as children want to read Robert Louis Stevenson's most famous book. With it's dastardly plot and motley crew of rogues and villains, it seems unlikely that children will ever say no to this timeless classic. --Naomi Gesinger

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:24 -0400)

An innkeeper's son finds a treasure map that leads him to a pirate's fortune.

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140437681, 0141321008, 0141035854, 0141331542, 0141194960

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1907832157, 1907832165

Columbia University Press

An edition of this book was published by Columbia University Press.

Sourcebooks Jabberwocky

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 140010078X, 1400108470

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,373,165 books! | Top bar: Always visible