Hell Breaks Loose

by Sophie Jordan

Series: Devil's Rock (2)

Hell hath no hunger like a man let out of a cage . . . Shy and awkward, First Daughter Grace Reeves has always done what she's told. Tired of taking orders, she escapes her security detail for a rare moment of peace. Except her worst nightmare comes to life when a ruthless gang of criminals abducts her. Her only choice is to place her trust in Reid Allister, an escaped convict whose piercing gaze awakens something deep inside her. Reid is nothing like her other captors. He's tougher, smarter...and one blistering look from him makes her hotter than any man ever has. Reid spent years plotting escape and revenge . . .years without a woman in his bed. For this hardened felon, Grace Reeves isn't just out of his league--she's from another planet, but that doesn't stop him from wanting her. Escaping Devil's Rock was tough, but resisting this woman could be the end of him. For a man with nothing to lose, protecting her . . . claiming her as his own, becomes more necessary than his next breath.… (more)

Hell Breaks Loose was a suspenseful action-filled steamy romance. It’s the second book in the Devil’s Rock series and it does stand on it’s quite well.

I loved our hero who is an ex-convict, although Reid is still a convict... newly escaped. He's focused, on a mission, and has only one goal. You feel how deeply he wanted his life to be different and how he knows that he's going back or will die doing what he escaped to do. Reid’s done bad things and prison has tainted his soul, but one thing he would never do is hurt a woman.

I liked our heroine. Grace's life isn't her own. She did, does, and is doing what daddy wants. Being the perfect daughter, dating the man he picked, etc. All she wants is to find herself again and be free. She never expect to find herself kidnapped and held hostage by a gang all because a bad man wants to hurt her father, who just so happens to be the President. In someways we all can relate to Grace and the pressures life and the people in it can put on us.

The romance is a slow burn. The passion and chemistry is their between Reid and Grace from the moment they met. Both feel a connection despite their situation. Grace is reluctant to fall for her dangerous kidnapper and Reid doesn’t want to fall for anyone. I liked the romance, but it came a little to close to being and feeling like Stockholm.

After finishing Hell Breaks Loose I’m a little curious to check out more in the Devil’s Rock series. Knox from book one, [b:All Chained Up|25858820|All Chained Up (Devil's Rock, #1)|Sophie Jordan|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1451247708s/25858820.jpg|45728445], makes an appearance, only a small one, to talk with Reid. And, so I get the impression they are friends, maybe from prison. It makes me curious.

Rated: 3 Stars

angelsgp | May 14, 2021 |
Hell Breaks Loose, the second book in this fiery hot contemporary series Sophie Jordan has cooked up starts out with a bang and some humor. I have so much love for this author, but she has blown me away with this series. In Hell Breaks Loose, we have our heroine. She is the president's daughter and doesn't have the life you would expect. So she escapes her secret service detail wanting some adventure and freedom. And finds herself being kidnapped by criminals, but there is one man that seems to care about protecting her. Our hero, managed to escape prison and wanting revenge against the man that sent him there. I know captive romances aren't for everyone but this one was done so well and I am not ashamed to admit it. i know its not a book that everyone would love to read, but I adored the chemistry and its not what you expect. What impressed me about this was seeing how this pair fitted together when they work out the kinks. They are both from different worlds, but somehow they fit just right for each other. A RIVETING ROMANCE!!! ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 23, 2019 |
2.5 stars

This was all a bit eye-rolling. Whatever I was going to say Melody's review and Disir's review already has. ( )
  WhiskeyintheJar | Feb 14, 2019 |

Rated: 3 Stars

angels_gp | Apr 26, 2018 |
The first book in the Devil's Rock series had a plot that was unlikely, but believable enough to make the story enjoyable. The scenario in Hell Breaks Loose is completely unrealistic.
The President's daughter, Grace Reeves, escapes from her Secret Service detail and is promptly kidnapped by associates of one of her father's enemies, Sullivan. At the same time, Reid Allister escapes from the hospital where he has been treated after a riot at Devil's Rock prison. Reid's goal is to kill Sullivan, who set him up to be captured and sent to prison 11 years before. When Reid makes contact with the rest of Sullivan's crew, he finds Grace and realizes that she will be raped or worse if he leaves her with them, so he devises a plan to take Grace to his grandfather's fishing cabin in the woods where he will "torture" her as Sullivan wants. Will Reid kill her as Sullivan wants just to give him the chance he has waited for over 11 years?
The scenario of this story was beyond what could be believable. Sullivan is never really developed as a character even though he seems to be the main antagonist in the story, and Grace's capture and captivity are fraught with impossible details that are difficult to discount. Overall, this book did not live up to expectation. ( )
  Mrslabraden | Jun 28, 2017 |

Sophie Jordanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fox, ChristianReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
HarperAudioPublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

For Rachel Vincent and Kimberly Derting:

Thank you for propping me up through the last half of this book with your brilliance and laughter. I wish I could bring every book into the world with you both at my side.
It's actually not that difficult to slip the Secret Service.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,243,911 books! | Top bar: Always visible