The Chemist (2016)

by Stephenie Meyer

Fiction. Suspense. Thriller. HTML:In this gripping page-turner, an ex-agent on the run from her former employers must take one more case to clear her name and save her life.
She used to work for the U.S. government, but very few people ever knew that. An expert in her field, she was one of the darkest secrets of an agency so clandestine it doesn't even have a name. And when they decided she was a liability, they came for her without warning.
Now she rarely stays in the same place or uses the same name for long. They've killed the only other person she trusted, but something she knows still poses a threat. They want her dead, and soon.
When her former handler offers her a way out, she realizes it's her only chance to erase the giant target on her back. But it means taking one last job for her ex-employers. To her horror, the information she acquires only makes her situation more dangerous.
Resolving to meet the threat head-on, she prepares for the toughest fight of her life but finds herself falling for a man who can only complicate her likelihood of survival. As she sees her choices being rapidly whittled down, she must apply her unique talents in ways she never dreamed of.
In this tautly plotted novel, Meyer creates a fierce and fascinating new heroine with a very specialized skill set. And she shows once again why she's one of the world's bestselling authors.
… (more)

English (62)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (65)
A little long. Good one time read ( )
  18khale | Jul 26, 2023 |
I liked the concept of using chemistry for interrogating “bad guys”. I also liked the methods used for hiding and protecting oneself from the bad guys. The action sequences kept my attention. However, there was way too much time spent on romance. I’ve never read a romance novel but this felt like one. Also, the Kevin character was ridiculous. He’s an obnoxious loud-mouth that’s a master undercover spy? He’s got more hideouts with more weapons and electronic devices than the government. He’s basically a superhero. ( )
  bmilla92 | Jun 15, 2023 |
Reading this book was so much fun! Am I the only one that has a movie playing in their head when they watch a book? Well, this movie kicked ass! It was action-packed, it had witty banter, yet it still tugged at your heartstrings, all with the obligatory romance (not a big romance gal over here, but I’ve realized it’s a necessary evil in most books). I REALLY love the characters. More than once I was laughing out loud as I could imagine the facial expressions and hear the tone of the conversation. As someone who prefers explosions in my films, there were more than enough fire and bullets in this book to keep me up way past my bedtime. Then there are the dogs! Oh, my, any animal lover will go gaga over the fur babies in this book. She writes so well that even the animals have real, distinguishable personalities that cause you to instantly fall in love. This novel has the grit of a government conspiracy with entertaining rapport yet still holds a warmth akin to the feelings you hold for your childhood pet. ( )
  LiteraryGadd | Jan 16, 2023 |
Oh my...
Heavens knows I gave this a shot. I am not ashamed to say that I loved Twilight. The Host was like walking through molasses in the beginning but ended up being pretty good. But this. This....oh my goodness! SO MANY WORDS!! SO MUCH DESCRIPTION!! One third of the way through the book could literally have been summed up in two sentences. There was so much attempted "technical" jargon and while this female character was strong and intelligent (that was certainly over explained---and then explained again in case you missed it the first 12 times)--in my opinion she was more whiny than Bella! Every other sentence was her "trying to stay alive" or "protect herself" or a million other whoa is me statements.
This one was just not for me.

....for God's sake, just release Midnight Sun, Stephanie!
  Master275 | Nov 17, 2022 |
I had no idea who the author was until I read the reviews. I have definitely heard of the Twilight series but never read or saw the movies. I had no expectations from this book. I listened to the book on audible. I picked it because knew the main character in this spy novel was a women. It is about a women who is on the run from some nefarious government agency that wants her dead. She is just trying to stay alive when she gets an opportunity to take her life back. This is really where the adventure begins. I think there is too much running and too much talking about how to run and not enough bad guy interaction. I never fell for the love story but maybe if i read the novel(audible) I might feel differently. It had good parts and not so good. I thought it was better than average. ( )
  debbie13410 | Oct 22, 2022 |

Meyer, Stephenieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Archer, EllenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dit boek is opgedragen aan Jason Bourne en Aaron Cross
(en ook aan Asya Muchnick en Meghan Hibbett voor hun vrolijke
medeplichtigheid aan mijn obsessie)
This book is dedicated to Jason Bourne and Aaron Cross (and also to Asya Muchnick and Meghan Hibbett, who gleefully aid and abet my obsession)
De taak van vandaag was routine geworden voor de vrouw die zich op dit moment Chris Taylor noemde.
Today's errand had become routine for the woman who was currently calling herself Chris Taylor.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,310,872 books! | Top bar: Always visible