The Chemist: The compulsive, action-packed…

The Chemist: The compulsive, action-packed new thriller from the author of… (original 2016; edition 2016)

by Meyer Stephenie Cast Kristin Noel Alyson Clare Cassandra i inni (Author)

Member:HelenFarch
Title:The Chemist: The compulsive, action-packed new thriller from the author of Twilight
Authors:Meyer Stephenie Cast Kristin Noel Alyson Clare Cassandra i inni (Author)
Info:Penguin Books UK (2016), 522 pages
Collections:Your library, To read

The Chemist by Stephenie Meyer (2016)

English (33)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (35)
A woman on the run, aka “Alex”, is trying to survive day by day. She used to work for the government doing things to people to make others tell their secrets. She is a smart scientist who is running from her former bosses until one day one of those former bosses asks her to do one last torture to gain information to save the world from a deadly virus, after that she is free. She agrees and soon finds the job they gave her isn’t what she thought it was. Surprise, surprise the boss lied.

So far I have pretty much read all Stephenie Meyer’s books. I have really liked the non-Twilight books the best. This fits in that category. “Alex” is not your regular heroine. She is no angel and has done many bad things. Things she uses to keep herself safe is almost very James Bond-like. She is very smart and very scared. I enjoyed the little touches about the earring and rings with poison. The beginning of the book I was a little leary and wasn’t into it but that changed pretty soon after. I love the book the characters even if some of the book was over the top but for me, it was one of those books that I wasn’t sure what was going to happen.

One dislike would only be the romance part. While I did like the thought of the romance, I think in real life this would never happen but that is what fictional stories do. They create the unimaginable and make you believe things that you may not have thought of.

The Chemist is rumored to be the start of a series, just like The Host. I am eagerly awaiting a new book by Mrs. Meyer. I check her website a lot. If you decide to read this keep an open mind it is entertaining fiction, not a philosophical book. ( )
  lavenderagate | Feb 28, 2019 |
I read this book for the sake of reading another Stephanie Meyer book and it appealed to me because it is different from her previous Twilight books, written as a spy type adult thriller. I loved it. It was full of suspense with twists. I especially loved that the main character, Alex was not a typical heroine, she is small in size, incredibly smart and very resourceful. You come to really enjoy the twin brothers, Kevin who eventually turns from trying to kill her to acting like a typical teasing big brother and then David, the loving gentle brother whose character really evolves. I loved the references to the trained dogs since I am putting my new puppy through training. Ms. Meyer gives us a really good wrap up at the end with no loose ends hanging except what happens to one of the dogs, Lola, wish she would have given me my happy ending with that instead of not knowing, but oh well, I guess I can't have it all. Yes, I recommend this one. ( )
  LydiaGranda | Feb 15, 2019 |
Surprisingly fun to read thriller/action book. Characters and language are Hollywood simple, but fun nonetheless. Makes a great summer beach read. ( )
  keithostertag | Feb 13, 2019 |
If I would let my criticism senses go free, I would probably say to myself, "It just can't be, it doesn't make any sense." But this book laughs at every critical sense: it was written so reliably and tense that all guardians of rationality fall asleep while on guard.

The story deals with the conspiracies of the most secretive American agencies, which, like in many books, run pursuit campaigns after their allies in the past. There are thermals and deceptions, haunting chases, and an extraordinary heroine. In short, everything I need in a book. ( )
  Bertchuba | Jan 10, 2019 |
A woman who has talents with chemicals who is working for an organization that no one knows much about has realized that she has become expendable. So now she's on the run, and is determined to survive by whatever means possible. Can't tell you much more, but can tell you I LOVED the dogs in the book. I'm a Shepherd owner so of course I loved Einstein. Loved the resourcefulness and gritty character of the girl and the sweet innocence of Daniel; a highly unlikely couple but very believable. ( )
  JRlibrary | Jan 2, 2019 |

Stephenie Meyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Archer, EllenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dit boek is opgedragen aan Jason Bourne en Aaron Cross
(en ook aan Asya Muchnick en Meghan Hibbett voor hun vrolijke
medeplichtigheid aan mijn obsessie)
This book is dedicated to Jason Bourne and Aaron Cross (and also to Asya Muchnick and Meghan Hibbett, who gleefully aid and abet my obsession)
De taak van vandaag was routine geworden voor de vrouw die zich op dit moment Chris Taylor noemde.
Today's errand had become routine for the woman who was currently calling herself Chris Taylor.

In this gripping page-turner, an ex-agent on the run from her former employers must take one more case to clear her name and save her life. She used to work for the U.S. government, but very few people ever knew that. An expert in her field, she was one of the darkest secrets of an agency so clandestine it doesn’t even have a name. And when they decided she was a liability, they came for her without warning. Now, she rarely stays in the same place or uses the same name for long. They’ve killed the only other person she trusted, but something she knows still poses a threat. They want her dead, and soon. When her former handler offers her a way out, she realizes it’s her only chance to erase the giant target on her back. But it means taking one last job for her ex-employers. To her horror, the information she acquires only makes her situation more dangerous. Resolving to meet the threat head on, she prepares for the toughest fight of her life, but finds herself falling for a man who can only complicate her likelihood of survival. As she sees her choices being rapidly whittled down, she must apply her unique talents in ways she never dreamed of. In this tautly plotted novel, Meyer creates a fierce and fascinating new heroine with a very specialized skill set. And she shows once again why she’s one of the world’s bestselling authors.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 13 Aug 2016 19:06:02 -0400)

She used to work for the U.S. government, one of the darkest secrets of an agency so clandestine it doesn't even have a name. And when they decided she was a liability, they came without warning, and they killed the only other person she trusted. When her former handler offers her a way out, it is her only chance to erase the giant target on her back. But the information she acquires only makes her situation more dangerous. And now she finds herself falling for a man who can only complicate her likelihood of survival....… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,569,641 books! | Top bar: Always visible