The Rising Tide: A Novel of World War II by…

The Rising Tide: A Novel of World War II (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Jeff Shaara

World War II through the eyes of Pvt. Jack Logan, a tank gunner, and Sgt. Jesse Adams, a paratrooper, during the fall of 1942 through the spring of 1943.
Member:kathyseguine
Title:The Rising Tide: A Novel of World War II
Authors:Jeff Shaara
Info:Ballantine Books (2006), Hardcover

The Rising Tide by Jeff Shaara (2006)

A different way to tell a familiar story. There is very little that is new but it is told in a different way, through the eyes, thoughts, and words of certain participants. It is a very effective way to tell history. ( )
  DeaconBernie | Nov 13, 2019 |
vg ( )
  brone | Oct 18, 2019 |
I first encountered Jeff Shaara with his prequel to his father's novel, The Killer Angels. Gods and Generals was excellent and in many ways Mr Shaara repeats the format and approach of that novel, in The Rising Tide. This time his theatre of conflict is North Africa in 1943. The story initially follows Rommel and Monty as they fight east and then west across the North African desert. Later the book engages with the Americans, led by Eisenhower. The book is fictionalisation and Shaara draws upon records and diaries to build a more intimate picture of the main characters, and a few minor ones, to tell the toils and terrors of the campaign. I thoroughly enjoyed the insights into the motivations of these men, which Shaara provides. I found the view to be well balanced, not favouring any particular viewpoint excessively. I think if you have enjoyed Jeff Shaara's other works then you will enjoy this. If you haven't I wouldn't dissuade you from this, but I would say try Gods and Generals first ( )
  PhilOnTheHill | Sep 8, 2019 |
This is the first book in a four-part series, about the tumultuous events that pull America into the monumental conflict that becomes World War II. Available in Large Print, and on
Overdrive in both Audio and Kindle format.
  mcmlsbookbutler | May 26, 2017 |
Tight, crisp prose characterize this fact-based retelling of the first part of WW II. That style worked great for the combat scenes, but tended to shortchange individual character development. Nevertheless, Shaara captured the personalities of Rommel, Patton and Eisenhower quite well, in my opinion.

The more interesting stories were of the line soldiers, Adams and Logan. Their daily struggles, precise detail of the essence of combat—chaos, brutality, the waste of life, inner fears—was nicely chronicled.

My preference for historical novels leans toward Leon Uris' style—novels about individuals or small groups set against the background of major world events like WW II. But this book will appeal to fans of WW II who are more interested in the strategy, politics, and high-level power struggles that have the greatest impact on the day-to-day events. ( )
  ChrisNorbury | Apr 17, 2014 |

Jeff Shaaraprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dietz, JimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lindroth, DavidMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To
Colonel Jesse Wiggins
USAF (Ret.)
When I began to think about writing a series of novels dealing with the Second World War, one obvious question came to mind. (To the Reader)
The Second World War begins with the conclusion of the First. (Introduction)
They huddled in the chill, encased in hard steel, waiting, energized by rumors.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,672,325 books! | Top bar: Always visible