The Creeping Shadow (2016)

by Jonathan Stroud

Series: Lockwood & Co (4)

5901941,048 (4.29)28
After leaving Lockwood & Co. at the end of The Hollow Boy, Lucy is a freelance operative, hiring herself out to agencies that value her ever-improving skills. One day she is pleasantly surprised by a visit from Lockwood, who tells her he needs a good Listener for a tough assignment. Penelope Fittes, the leader of the giant Fittes Agency wants them-and only them-to locate and remove the Source for the legendary Brixton Cannibal. They succeed in their very dangerous task, but tensions remain high between Lucy and the other agents. Even the skull in the jar talks to her like a jilted lover. What will it take to reunite the team? Black marketeers, an informant ghost, a Spirit Cape that transports the wearer, and mysteries involving Steve Rotwell and Penelope Fittes just may do the trick. But, in a shocking cliffhanger ending, the team learns that someone has been manipulating them all along...… (more)

English (18)  Italian (1)  All languages (19)
Really liked! Love the combo of Quill and Holly, as well as Flo and George, and the Skull!! ( )
  TLon03 | Jun 3, 2023 |
Lucy is making a living at being a free agent but when Lockwood comes to ask to hire her on a matter he is undertaking for Penelope Fittes she cannot refuse.

This is my favorite one yet! The characters get better all the time (especially the Skull!) I liked Lucy's interactions with everyone and I even enjoyed the addition of one of Fittes' former agents to the group. Also, there is a scene near the end (I won't go into too much detail) where Holly shows a new side to herself which surprises Lucy and I thought it was great!!

Very well done! (as you can tell from the numerous exclamation points LOL) ( )
  Jenson_AKA_DL | Apr 14, 2023 |
I liked this so much more than the last book, I might be overdoing or a bit with stars, but it's at least a 4, so indulge me.
There was nice resolution in this installment, and Stroud really opened up the Lockwood and Co. world to a lot more plot possibilities.
I loved the humor, especially George's and the skull's, and I'm glad the angst has been dialed back.
Can't wait for the next. ( )
  Harks | Dec 17, 2022 |
Great fun, the ghostly world keeps expanding Harry Potter style. Definitely read these books in order... ( )
  tarsel | Sep 4, 2022 |
Another solid story in this fascinatingly original series. Children are the ones who can see, feel, hear ghosts and are supervised in agencies by usually clueless adults. Lockwood & Co is an independent detective-ghost hunting agency with four unsupervised kids having special talents. Glad to see they are all back together in this volume. The scary fun continues with page-turning energy. ( )
  DebCushman | Aug 25, 2022 |

that emphasises friendship
and bravery too.
(passion4reading)

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,471,958 books! | Top bar: Always visible