The Zero by Jess Walter

The Zero

by Jess Walter

English (16)  Dutch (1)  All languages (17)
I don't think it's a flawless book but his characters are so engaging and his humor is so dry and rueful that it makes up for a few tiny improbables. It must be so challenging to write a coherent story from the point of view of a man whose life is so disjointed. I also like that he didn't give a tidy explanation for everything that happens in the novel. Especially important for a novel that hangs on 9/11. ( )
  badube | Mar 6, 2019 |
This one of Walter's odder books, but in a good way. The story opens with the main character (a police detective) dealing with the aftermath of a 9/11-type attack and shooting himself in the head. He survives, but has memory losses as he works on finding out who perpetrated the attack. The memory losses will just come at random and jump, leaving out important information, even to the reader. Its a little confusing to follow. Is he a split personality, is he making it all up, is there a shadow government agency behind the attacks? A very interesting, but challenging read (in this case Audio). Recommend. ( )
  mahsdad | Jul 29, 2018 |
This was a book that I thought was excellent for the writing and creativity of the premise. It is post 9/11 and the main character who is some sort of police officer is suffering from lapses of memory. This device is used throughout the book so your only perspective is through the main character(Remy). I, along with many other reviewers, found this annoying after a while. You never were able to get the big picture. You had to fill in the gaps so there were things about the main character that you never got answered. Maybe the author's point was look at the whole post 9/11 thing through this device. It didn't totally work for me. If you haven't read Jess Walter, then start with something else and then go to this. A worthwhile read but I like his other stuff better. ( )
  nivramkoorb | May 2, 2016 |
Suggested by Jeremy Anderson
  SFCC | Jun 4, 2013 |
First few chapters held a lot of promise . . . and I usually like Jess Walter's take on things. But . . . but . . . but about 75 pages in, the book took a sharp turn toward "thriller-land" and it just isn't holding my attention any more.
Onward and upward to more intriguing reads.
  beckydj | Mar 30, 2013 |
Author's Note: This happened.
Could I, I thought, be the last coward on earth?
How terrifying!...All alone
with two million stark raving heroic madmen,
armed to the eyeballs...

Celine, Journey to the End of the Night
To Brooklyn Walter
They burst into the sky, every bird in creation, angry and agitated, awakened by the same primary thought, erupting in a white feathered cloudburst, anxious and graceful, angling in ever-tightening circles toward the ground, drifting close enough to touch, and then close enough to see that it wasn't a flock of birds at all--it was paper.

The Zero is a groundbreaking novel, a darkly comic snapshot of our times that is already being compared to the works of Franz Kafka and Joseph Heller.

From its opening pages—when hero cop Brian Remy wakes up to find he's shot himself in the head—novelist Jess Walter takes us on a harrowing tour of a city and a country shuddering through the aftershocks of a devastating terrorist attack. As the smoke slowly clears, Remy finds that his memory is skipping, lurching between moments of lucidity and days when he doesn't seem to be living his own life at all. The landscape around him is at once fractured and oddly familiar: a world dominated by a Machiavellian mayor known as "The Boss," and peopled by gawking celebrities, anguished policemen peddling First Responder cereal, and pink real estate divas hyping the spoils of tragedy. Remy himself has a new girlfriend he doesn't know, a son who pretends he's dead, and an unsettling new job chasing a trail of paper scraps for a shadowy intelligence agency known as the Department of Documentation. Whether that trail will lead Remy to an elusive terror cell—or send him circling back to himself—is only one of the questions posed by this provocative yet deeply human novel.

From a novelist of astounding talent, The Zero is an extraordinary story of how our trials become our transgressions, of how we forgive ourselves and whether or not we should.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:17 -0400)

Five days after a terrorist attack decimates his home city, Brian Remy struggles with gaps in his memory pertaining to a self-inflicted gunshot wound, a girlfriend whose name he does not know, deteriorating eyesight, and a new job with a shadowy intelligence operation.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,893,970 books! | Top bar: Always visible