The Road to Winter by Mark Smith

The Road to Winter (2016)

by Mark Smith

apocalypse, young boy survives, befriends others ( )
  AnnC01 | Dec 21, 2017 |
This dystopian YA novel feels very close to reality. It is reminiscent of both Cormac McCarthy's 'The Road', and also Peter Heller's 'The Dog Stars' - both if which I loved. This is a similar story, written for young adults.
The action appears to be set in SW Victoria, Australia, and evokes clearly the somewhat desolate but altogether amazing beauty of the area. Our protagonist Finn is likeable and solid, and the characters around him all too believable. I'm SO pleased to see that this book is marked 'Winter #1', because I would very much like to read more of this story. What will happen to Finn, Kas and Willow? Can Rowdy survive this era - I'm not sure I'd want my dog to be around when there are such hungry, violent gangs about.
The prose is spare and compelling. A very worthy finalist in the Readings 2017 YA award. Great stuff, keep it coming please! ( )
  ClareRhoden | Nov 4, 2017 |
"The Road to Winter" was a fast-paced, gripping read that had me hooked by the time I had finished the first page. Full of action, suspense and drama, this was a book about survival and friendship.

I loved the intensity of the writing and was so proud to be reading a book from another Aussie author. The main characters, except for Ramage and his gang, were diverse, resourceful, strong and very likeable, even Rowdy, the dog. From the start you could sense Finn, Rose, Kas and Ray's desperation as they battled to survive, and I was cheering for them all the way.

I didn't realise this was to be a series, "The Road to Winter" could easily be a stand-alone novel, but I look forward to seeing what Mark Smith has planned for the next instalment. A terrific read. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Nov 11, 2016 |
A cross between The Road but not so grimly told, and The Ask and the Answer, where a boy is on the run with a girl who is being hunted down. It seems to me to be a commentary on the current attitudes and mindset of Australians who are intolerant towards refugees and anyone who isn't Australian. Finn is a likeable kid who is resourceful, resilient and kind. Finn compassion is in contrast to the unsavoury Ramage, who is brutal, violent and racist. It is a dangerous and hostile setting that exists after a plague has killed a large number of the population. Blame for the plague is apportioned to the Sileys(referencing asylum), adding to the justification of the appalling treatment Sileys receive. The books ends but the story is not finished, a sequel must be on its way. I hope it will be worth the read, I want justice to prevail and Ramage to be taken down. Finn offers hope for a better future, but there has to be more Finns than Ramages and his ilk. ( )
  SueS7 | Sep 3, 2016 |
Set in Australia in the not too distant future where Asylum seekers or Sileys were brought in to the country to work ( almost like slaves) and coincidentally a virus has come and killed nearly everyone but more women than men.
Finn has been spared thanks to his father’s careful planning, isolation in a coastal town , and the help of an old man called Ray. Finn fishes and traps rabbits and trades with Ray for vegies and fruit, while surfing for fun and keeping a watch out for the Wilders ; gangs of men who take what they want.
There is only him and his dog Rowdy until he stumbles across a girl called Rose who is running from the Wilders. Will he take her in and help her find her sister Kas, or will he let her go?
Great story which really evokes the area around Lorne for me and is so believable….enclaves of people hanging on and they are mainly rural folk who have the knowledge and resources to survive. Oh and I was super glad he didn’t kill the dog either! ( )
  nicsreads | Aug 4, 2016 |
For all those who have sought refuge, only to be met by closed hearts.
The wind's picked up off the strait again, whistling hard and sharp through the coastal wattles.

Finn has survived alone for two years since the virus that killed everyone. When a stranger arrives, everything changes forever.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,620,064 books! | Top bar: Always visible