At Home in the World: Stories and Essential…

At Home in the World: Stories and Essential Teachings from a Monk's…

by Thích Nhất Hạnh

I was disappointed with this one. The entries are so short that with few exceptions they can't do justice to the incidents that they describe or the concepts that they illustrate. There's too much "I got into this situation, I did this correct thing, life was beautiful." More fleshing out of each piece would have been a big improvement. ( )
  Jim53 | Mar 1, 2019 |
Read this book hoping that it might be a good gift for my yoga instructor and/or fill a hole in a blog post about memoir that I'm working on. Unfortunately, it didn't fill either need for me. This book is part memoir and part mindfulness instruction. However, by trying to be both, it sort of misses the mark for either. While there are some great short gems (as always with this author), the format (chronological anecdotes) doesn't do justice to the takeaways. I prefer his other writing that is less auto-biographical. He often weaves personal stories into his writing as appropriate. The vignettes here were very short and the format made this a little disjointed. Still, there, as always, some great takeaways and insights in his writing.

I received an advanced copy of this book from the publisher through netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
  Well-ReadNeck | Aug 4, 2016 |

This collection of autobiographical and teaching stories span the author's life and they are used to enrich and teach the Dharma. There are stories from his childhood and the traditions of rural Vietnam, stories from his years as a teenaged novice and as a young teacher and writer in war torn Vietnam. He also shares from his travels around the world to teach mindfulness, make pilgrimages to sacred sites, and influence world leaders.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,093,042 books! | Top bar: Always visible