Given to the Sea by Mindy McGinnis

Given to the Sea

by Mindy McGinnis

361313,489 (4)None
2017 (1) 2017tbr (1) fantasy (1) to-read (14)

Review originally posted on Goodreads.

An advanced reading copy was provided by Penguin First to Read.

I was pleasantly surprised with this book because it turned out a lot differently than what I had expected. The author did a good job at world-building without making it dull with pages of details.

The book follows four main points of view, Khosa (the Given), Vincent, Witt, and Dara. They had interesting stories, but it jumped around a little too much. The story gave off a Greek mythology feel and I really liked that about it.

The ending was unexpected, in that it didn't feel like the typical ending to a book. I hope there is a sequel because I'd love to learn more about Dara and Dontil (her twin brother), or the lost Indiri race in general.

I would recommend if you're a fan of mythology and fantasy. I'm not sure I'd recommend this as a standalone novel though, because the ending left me wanting more! ( )
  apollymipanthos | Mar 8, 2017 |

Kings and Queens rise and fall, loyalties collide, and romance blooms in a world where the sea is rising—and cannot be escaped.

Khosa is Given to the Sea, a girl born to be fed to the water, her flesh preventing a wave like the one that destroyed the Kingdom of Stille in days of old. But before she’s allowed to dancean uncontrollable twitching of the limbs that will carry her to the shore in a frenzy—she must produce an heir. Yet the thought of human touch sends shudders down her spine that not even the sound of the tide can match.

Vincent is third in line to inherit his throne, royalty in a kingdom where the old linger and the young inherit only boredom. When Khosa arrives without an heir he knows his father will ensure she fulfills her duty, at whatever cost. Torn between protecting the throne he will someday fill, and the girl whose fate is tied to its very existence, Vincent’s loyalty is at odds with his heart.

Dara and Donil are the last of the Indiri, a native race whose dwindling magic grows weaker as the island country fades. Animals cease to bear young, creatures of the sea take to the land, and the Pietra—fierce fighters who destroyed the Indiri a generation before—are now marching from their stony shores for the twin’s adopted homeland, Stille.

Witt leads the Pietra, their army the only family he has ever known. The stone shores harbor a secret, a growing threat that will envelop the entire land—and he will conquer every speck of soil to ensure the survival of his people.

The tides are turning in Stille, where royals scheme, Pietrans march, and the rising sea calls for its Given.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 04 Aug 2016 05:36:27 -0400)

Mindy McGinnis is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,486,019 books! | Top bar: Always visible