Miranda and Caliban by Jacqueline Carey

Miranda and Caliban

by Jacqueline Carey

This is Carey's take on The Tempest. I was familiar with Carey, having had a massive character-crush on Joscelin from Kushiel's Dart. I didn't finish the Kushiel series but when I saw she had tackled The Bard, I thought I might give her another try. I've never read or seen any portrayal of The Tempest, by the way, so I came to the story blind. This has all the hallmarks of Carey, a taboo relationship, obligations, etc. I did not mind the beginning setup with Prospero's study, Miranda's response to her "woman's curse" and the enslavement of Ariel. But Caliban's self abuse was just too much for me as was the literal bodice-ripping. Can't say I recommend it. ( )
  VictoriaPL | Mar 3, 2017 |
Retellings of Shakespeare plays are all the rage these days, so it's not surprising to see a fantasy author tackle the magic rich world of The Tempest. Carey's take widens the play from a tale of Prospero's grand revenge scheme into a story of two children growing up supported by each other while in the power of a man whose care and interest is only for his own ends.

Read the rest of the review at http://allusoryreviews.wordpress.com

Disclosure: this review is based on an ebook galley provided by Tor via Netgalley ( )
  midnightbex | Feb 13, 2017 |
I got this book through NetGalley to review. I am a huge fan of Carey’s Kushiel’s books and also enjoyed her Agent of Hel series. This ended up being a well done retelling of The Tempest. This is a beautiful story that is constantly overshadowed with a feeling of doom. It was well written, easy to read, and I enjoyed it.

Miranda is raised on an island alone with her father Prospero. Her only occasional company is the wild boy that also lives on the island. Her father initially makes it his goal to civilize Caliban but doesn’t take into account how close Miranda and Caliban will become with each other as sole companions.

It’s a beautifully written book with a dark undertone to it. Prospero is very mentally abusive and manipulative of both Miranda and Caliban. As a reader you sense this heavy cloud of doom looming over the entire story...you just know that Prospero has a larger game he is playing and it isn’t going to be good for Miranda or Caliban.

I read the Tempest a long long time ago so I am having trouble drawing comparisons between the two. Despite that I enjoyed this beautifully written and melancholy story. I found it strangely compelling and had trouble putting the book down.

Overall I enjoyed this and would recommend. The book is beautifully written and strangely engaging. It’s not a story that will lift your spirits but it is well done. ( )
  krau0098 | Jan 28, 2017 |
In Act 1, Scene 2 of The Tempest, Prospero launches a virulent verbal attack on his servant Caliban: he is 'filth', a 'poisonous slave', 'hag-seed'. He has greeted all Prospero's efforts to civilise him with brutish indifference and, worst of all, he has repaid the magician's kindnesses by trying to debauch Prospero's young daughter Miranda. The play, like the island, is dominated by Prospero's will and superficially we see nothing to counteract this stinging denunciation. But, if we look more closely, there are hints that all may not be so simple. Jacqueline's Carey elegant novel draws out some of these allusions and offers a subtle retelling of the story, in which a childhood friendship between two motherless children develops into a heartbreaking study of the loss of innocence...

The rest of the review will be available to read from 10 February 2017 at the following link:
https://theidlewoman.net/2017/02/10/miranda-and-caliban-jacqueline-carey ( )
  TheIdleWoman | Jan 15, 2017 |

A lovely girl grows up in isolation where her father, a powerful magus, has spirited them to in order to keep them safe.

We all know the tale of Prospero's quest for revenge, but what of Miranda? Or Caliban, the so-called savage Prospero chained to his will?

In this incredible retelling of the fantastical tale, Jacqueline Carey shows readers the other side of the coin―the dutiful and tenderhearted Miranda, who loves her father but is terribly lonely. And Caliban, the strange and feral boy Prospero has bewitched to serve him. The two find solace and companionship in each other as Prospero weaves his magic and dreams of revenge.

Always under Prospero’s jealous eye, Miranda and Caliban battle the dark, unknowable forces that bind them to the island even as the pangs of adolescence create a new awareness of each other and their doomed relationship.

Miranda and Caliban is bestselling fantasy author Jacqueline Carey’s gorgeous retelling of The Tempest. With hypnotic prose and a wild imagination, Carey explores the themes of twisted love and unchecked power that lie at the heart of Shakespeare’s masterpiece, while serving up a fresh take on the play's iconic characters.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 06 Aug 2016 10:56:00 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,224,437 books! | Top bar: Always visible