The Whole Thing Together by Ann Brashares

The Whole Thing Together

by Ann Brashares

English (17)  Dutch (1)  All languages (18)
It doesn't happen often, but I am not finishing this book. It's confusing, with far too many character POVs, and the blatant sexism, and even some racism, is too much for me.
  CarleneInspired | Jun 14, 2019 |
I really liked the first two-thirds of this book, and I was really impressed with the story the author was setting up. Then, well, the story took a few expected (party gone wrong) and then unexpected (tragic accident) turns. The drama created by these plot twists overshadowed the really interesting relationship Ray and Sasha had been developing throughout the book, adding to a kind of jarring feeling as a reader. Furthermore, the ending still left me feeling unsatisfied, like this family had a lot further to go before their story reached any kind of resolution. The book is well-written and I liked how the author took the common topic of divorce and mixed families and somehow made it original and compelling. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Feb 1, 2019 |
Ray and Sasha share a room in the family house in the Hamptons and share the same three older sisters Emma, Quinn, and Mattie but they have never met. Ray's mom was married to Sasha's dad and had three daughters then they got divorced and then went on to have Ray and Sasha. This summer things are changing for them and their sisters. Their interest are starting to change, they don't care about their old shared books or shell collection in their shared room anymore. Mattie is falling in love with Matt and hopes he feels the same way about her. Emma is trying to figure out how to introduce her boyfriend James to the family. Quinn wants to figure out where she comes from and where she now belongs. After Ray and Sasha start corresponding through e-mail they start to wonder if there can be anything romantic between them with so much family between the two of them..

I got an advanced copy of this book from netgalley.com ( )
  FaytheShattuck | May 23, 2018 |

I got an advanced copy of this book from netgalley.com ( )
  FaytheShattuck | May 23, 2018 |
I was a fan of the author's previous work, "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" series (book and movie) and thought I'd take a look at this one. And am I glad I did!

I loved the cover and the story inside. As a child of divorced parents, I know what it's like for Emma, Quinn, and Mattie. I loved how the story wasn't just centered from Ray or Sasha's point of view, but the half sisters as well. I loved the settings, and could imagine it. The story is very believable, and it kept me guessing and was never blunt in answering my questions.

I rate this book a 4 out of 5 stars (mainly because I'm not a fan of some of the foul language in it) ( )
  StarlieLC | Apr 20, 2018 |

Summer for Sasha and Ray means the sprawling old house on Long Island. Since they were children, they've shared almost everything--reading the same books, running down the same sandy footpaths to the beach, eating peaches from the same market, laughing around the same sun-soaked dining table. Even sleeping in the same bed, on the very same worn cotton sheets. But they've never met. Sasha's dad was once married to Ray's mom, and together they had three daughters: Emma, the perfectionist; Mattie, the beauty, and Quinn, the favorite. But the marriage crumbled and the bitterness lingered. Now there are two new families--and neither one will give up the beach house that holds the memories, happy and sad, of summers past. The choices we make come back to haunt us; the effect on our destinies ripples out of our control--or does it? This summer, the lives of Sasha, Ray, and their siblings intersect in ways none of them ever dreamed, in a novel about family relationships, keeping secrets, and most of all, love. --… (more)

Ann Brashares is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Ann Brashares chatted with LibraryThing members from Jun 6, 2011 to Jun 10, 2011. Read the chat.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,508,881 books! | Top bar: Always visible