Chasing Ghosts by Glenn Rolfe

Chasing Ghosts (edition 2016)

by Glenn Rolfe (Author)

Info:Sinister Grin Press (2016), 145 pages
Collections:Your library, Read, Read in 2016, Horror
Tags:Horror

Chasing Ghosts by Glenn Rolfe

If you go down to the woods today...

Chasing Ghosts had me cringing at several points. There is one particular scene, which wasn't particularly gruesome, where just the simple visual description and my imagination was enough to give me the heebie jeebies. Despite the fact that there was plenty gory goings on before and after this one particular event, my mind kept going back to it. I just couldn't get it out of my head. In the whole scheme of things it was such a small event but it gave me the mother of all cringes.

Chasing Ghosts isn't a huge read, it's around 100 pages long but there is a lot happening in those pages. Because of this it's kind of a hard one to review without giving a lot away. It launches right into the action from the first page and continues at full throttle throughout. It certainly kept me on the edge of my seat.

There was a great predatory atmosphere going on. The anticipation of something being just around the corner but never quite sure just when, where or who was going to be next made it a very enjoyable read. There was a nice balance of detail and visuals with just enough given to allow you to picture the scene but at the time allowing the imagination to fill in the gaps, and boy was my imagination happy to oblige. I'll be steering clear of the woods for a while.

One thing that I did notice (it's not a big deal, it's just a personal irk - when I say irk what I really mean is it irritates the heck outta me lol) was the use of "could give a shit". Surely if you 'could' give a shit it means that you do give a shit to an extent, and as a result it is possible for you to give less of a shit than you do now. Whereas if you 'couldn't' give a shit (which is the right way, just saying!) then you give so little of a shit about something that it would be impossible for you to give less of a shit than you do now. Forgive me, I'm typing this explanation at 5am in the morning on only two hours sleep from the previous night and I think my brain just exploded! I really hope it's legible. Must remember to take out all the shits when posting to Amazon cause they give a lot of shits about the shit you put in your reviews. Ok I'll stop, lol. Like I said it's just a personal thing but get it right next time! :P ( )
  Scarlet-Aingeal | Dec 9, 2016 |
Review copy

If you are a frequent reader of horror you'll likely recognize the names in Glenn Rolfe's dedication for Chasing Ghosts.

Dedicated to Richard Layman, Jack Ketchum, Brian Keene, and Jonathan Janz. For all the guts you guys give me to tear out someone else's.

And then Glenn proceeds to do just that.

Jesse Gerard knows his father is stepping out on his mom, When Jesse storms out of the house, his father asks where he's going. His response is, "Chasing Ghosts." Jesse joins up with his friends Davey and Luke. What follows is not so much about what they find out by the old Zachariah Cobb place, as what finds them.

Chasing Ghosts is a disturbing bloodbath, with some moments of extreme gore, and is an emotionally draining read, but it sure was a nice diversion.

Recommended, but not for the squeamish.

Published by Sinister Grin Press, Chasing Ghosts is available in both paperback and e-book formats.

From Glenn Rolfe's bio - Glenn is an author, singer, and songwriter from the haunted woods of New England. He has studied Creative Writing at Southern New Hampshire University, and continues his education in the world of horror by devouring the works of Stephen King and Richard Laymon. ( )
  FrankErrington | Aug 9, 2016 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,161,056 books! | Top bar: Always visible