The Power by Naomi Alderman

The Power (edition 2019)

by Naomi Alderman (Author)

Suddenly - tomorrow or the day after - teenage girls find that with a flick of their fingers, they can inflict agonizing pain and even death. With this single twist, the four lives at the heart of Naomi Alderman's extraordinary, visceral novel are utterly transformed.
Member:Gena678
Title:The Power
Authors:Naomi Alderman (Author)
Info:Back Bay Books (2019), Edition: Illustrated, 400 pages
Tags:Sci Fi

Work Information

The Power by Naomi Alderman (Author)

Red Clocks by Leni Zumas (sturlington)
    Women's Work: The First 20,000 Years : Women, Cloth, and Society in Early Times by Elizabeth Wayland Barber (EerierIdyllMeme)
    EerierIdyllMeme: A book about achaeology giving evidence that common assumptions about gender roles are not borne out by the evidence, and a near future narrative framed as a story told from the far future based on archaeology exploring gender roles and possible far future assumptions about them.… (more)
    Shit Cassandra Saw: Stories by Gwen E. Kirby (Amy_Tector)
    Amy_Tector: A couple of the stories had a very "The Power" feel, but funnier.
    The City & The City by China Miéville (charl08)
    charl08: Both books ask questions about what we take for granted in our everyday realtors..
    Animal Farm by George Orwell (kk1)

English (216)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (218)
I don't know...I liked the idea behind this book and I thought the story itself occasionally rose to the level of good but it was too disjointed and uneven. As a work of dystopian fiction it hits all the right notes but I felt like Naomi Alderman was trying to write a book that was episodic like World War Z but also carried a coherent story and followed specific characters from chapter to chapter...and somehow this just didn't work.

The book does not come together at the end and I felt like the various characters' stories were not fully resolved in a successful way...I felt cheated and disappointed.

The little Canticle for Leibowitz-ish, 5000 years later tidbit at the end did nothing to help and did not feel like a proper ending to me.

This was a Now Read This book club selection but, for me, so far, the one I dislike the most. ( )
  DarrinLett | Aug 14, 2022 |
A futuristic novel that gave me plenty of food for thought. When women around the world develop a terrifying power - the ability to electrocute with their hands - the global balance of power is radically shifted. Women come into positions of power and the world turns into a different place. This is a book that challenges and questions gender dynamics, and I would highly recommend it for those interested in those topics. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Jul 19, 2022 |
The premise was solid enough, but spelling out the satire explicitly felt a bit patronizing to the reader. Didn't care much for the characters, so when things started (very abruptly) to go downhill, I felt nothing. The world-building was fun, though, which made the book a breezy read. Too much Christian mythology for my taste. ( )
  saimaus | Jun 10, 2022 |
What a clever and entertaining book this is. Like a lot of great sci fi, it takes a very simple idea and runs with it brilliantly. I loved it. ( )
  whatmeworry | Apr 9, 2022 |
This needs to be a genre. I love seeing roles and expectations flipped on their head. The Power is imperfect and a bit of a slog in the middle, but still utterly worth it. ( )
  Luminous-Path | Mar 26, 2022 |
Alderman [...] imagines our present moment — with our history, our wars, our gender politics — complicated by the sudden widespread manifestation of “electrostatic power” in women. Young girls wake up one morning with the ability to generate powerful electric shocks from their bodies, having developed specialized muscles — called “skeins” — at their collarbones, which they can flex to deliver anything from mild stings to lethal jolts of electricity. The power varies in its intensity but is almost uniform in its distribution to anyone with two X chromosomes, and women vary in their capacity to control and direct it, but the result is still a vast, systemic upheaval of gender dynamics across the globe.

Alderman has written our era's "Handmaid's Tale," and, like Margaret Atwood's classic, "The Power" is one of those essential feminist works that terrifies and illuminates, enrages and encourages.
added by melmore | editWashinton Post, Ron Charles (Oct 10, 2017)

The novel is constructed as a big, brash, page-turning, drug-running, globetrotting thriller, one in which people say things such as: “It’s only you I’ve blimmin come to find, isn’t it?” and “You wanna stand with me? Or you wanna stand against me?” But it’s also endlessly nuanced and thought-provoking, combining elegantly efficient prose with beautiful meditations on the metaphysics of power, possibility and change.

Alderman, NaomiAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nightingale, PhilipNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stoddard, JustinePhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thiele, SabineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

The people came to Samuel and said: Place a King over us, to guide us.

And Samuel said to them: This is what a King will do if he reigns over you: he’ll take your sons and make them run with his chariots and horses. He’ll dispose them however he wants: he’ll make them commanders of thousands or captains of fifties, he’ll send them to plough, to reap, to forge his weapons and his chariots. He’ll take your daughters to make perfume for him, or cook his food or do his baking. He’ll take your fields and your vineyards and your olive groves – oh, he’ll take the very best of those and give them to his cronies. He’ll take much more. A tenth of your grain and your wine – those will go to his favourite aristocrats and faithful servants. Your manservants and your maidservants, your best men, your donkeys – yes, he’ll take those for his own use. He’ll take one tenth of your flocks and you yourselves will become his slaves. On that day, believe me, you will cry out for relief from this King, the King you asked for, but the Lord will not answer you on that day.

But the people would not listen to Samuel. They said: No. Give us a King over us. So that we can be like all the other nations. Give us a King to guide us and lead us into battle.

When Samuel heard what the people said, he told it to the Lord.

The Lord answered, Give them a King.

1 Samuel 8
For Margaret and for Graeme, who have shown me wonders
Dear Naomi,
I've finished the bloody book.

In The Power the world is a recognisable place: there's a rich Nigerian kid who larks around the family pool; a foster girl whose religious parents hide their true nature; a local American politician; a tough London girl from a tricky family. But something vital has changed, causing their lives to converge with devastating effect. Teenage girls now have immense physical power - they can cause agonising pain and even death. And, with this small twist of nature, the world changes utterly.

This extraordinary novel by Naomi Alderman, a Sunday Times Young Writer of the Year and Granta Best of British writer, is not only a gripping story of how the world would change if power was in the hands of women but also exposes, with breath-taking daring, our contemporary world.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,767,089 books! | Top bar: Always visible