HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Saved by the Boats: The Heroic Sea Evacuation of September 11 (Encounter:…

by Julie Gassman

September 11, 2001 was a black day in U.S. history. Amid the chaos, sea captains and crews raced by boat to the tragic Manhattan scene. Nearly 500,000 people on Manhattan Island were rescued that day in what would later be called the largest sea evacuation in history. In this rarely told story of heroism, we come to understand that in our darkest hours, people shine brightly as a beacon of hope. … (more)

Note: I received a digital review copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley. ( )
  fernandie | Sep 15, 2022 |
I loved this book. It was heartbreaking and it took me back to that September day. I knew that this water evacuation occurred but this is the first book that I have read that simply dealt with this topic and the heroes that made this all possible. People trying to get our of Manhattan on 9/11 could have panicked, but the smart thinking of the coast guard and the unselfishness of the many captains and crews of the boats and ships that stepped up, kept this from happening. This book told the story without dealing with the negative fallout so it can be read to and with children. It's told at a pace that would easily allow for teachers and/or parents to stop and have conversations when questioned without disrupting the flow of the story. It's a story that deserves to be told. With all the evil that happened on that day and all the loss of life, it is wonderful to show future generations how a simple act towards others can change lives for the better.

The illustrations are simple line, pen and ink drawings. They are powerful. The blue sky and the comments about what a beautiful sky it was until it was marred by ash and smoke tell that story with simple grey colours and swirls. I highly recommend this book for anyone wanting to share a 9/11 story that isn't overwhelming with for children. This would be a good read aloud for late primary and middle grades that may be studying heroes or the history of New York.

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
A great positive book to remember the heroic deeds of those on the water surrounding New York on September 11th. ( )
  paula-childrenslib | Sep 14, 2016 |
A non-fiction picture book about 9/11, but from a different point of view. I hadn't known that a good portion of those who evacuated New York on that day did so via crossing the Hudson in boats of all shapes and sizes. 500,000 people. The largest of its kind according to this book.

I really, really liked the drawings of things in the book, unfortunately I didn't like how the people in the book were drawn, they seemed off to me.

I also thought that the Author's note at the end was really really touching.

A book about this topic can be done well or done badly, and this was on the whole a really well done book for children on the date that changed so many lives.

I received this galley through Netgalley on behalf of Capstone Press. ( )
  DanieXJ | May 26, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,865,077 books! | Top bar: Always visible