The Undoing of Saint Silvanus by Beth Moore

The Undoing of Saint Silvanus

by Beth Moore

I had a hard time getting started with this book; the colloquialisms were discouraging. But as I continued to read, I became less critical and more in tune with the author's voice. By about page 20, I began to love the book - Beth Moore can absolutely tell a riveting story, as anyone who has heard her speak knows. I very rarely laugh out loud or cry when I read - I read a LOT - and this book had me doing both. If you like Beth Moore's Bible studies - and I do - you'll love this book. ( )
  CatherineBurkeHines | Nov 28, 2018 |
I was pleasantly surprised by this Bible study author's first novel. I wasn't sure what to expect but I found a story line that kept my interest, colorful characters, and lots of Southern charm. I could definitely hear Beth's voice - which I was familiar with - in the way the characters used inventive metaphors and similes that are steeped in the author's Southern way of speaking. Since the story was set in New Orleans it is an appropriate touch, as were the details about the food and customs of the region. These all slid into the story easily as the main character, Jillian, has grown up in southern California. She travels to New Orleans to escape her problems and to get to know the grandmother she barely remembers. Jillian definitely feels like a fish out of water when she arrives in New Orleans and is surrounded by a cast of Southern types. She finds shelter at Saint Silvanus - a church turned into a boarding house which her Gradmother Olivia owns and which is managed by the very outspoken Adella. Jillian doesn't find her grandmother waiting for her with open arms when she arrives - quite the opposite - but she slowly gets sucked into the warm family atmosphere that exists among the boarders at Saint Silvanus. She also finds hints about events involving deceased father that she becomes intensely curious about - and that eventually lead her into some perilous circumstances. So the story involves some suspense, some romance, a journey of faith (of course), and a lot of Southern flair. If those sound look good ingredients to you, give it a try! ( )
  debs4jc | Mar 30, 2018 |
Beth Moore, better known for her Bible studies, ventured into the world of Christian fiction with this title. Jillian Slater, long estranged from her father and his family, goes to New Orleans to attend his funeral. Her mother depicted her father as a homeless loser. As soon as she landed at the airport, she began regretting her decision to fly there. She discovers her grandmother lives in a renovated old church with an odd assortment of people and a sassy manager. After she goes back to San Francisco and discovers her boyfriend/boss with another woman in his office, she quickly packs, returning to New Orleans. She begins to learn more about her father, her grandmother, and herself during her journey. The book contains a mystery concerning the murder of her father and romance for Jillian. The book is unlikely to gain a wide following outside of Christian readers as it tends to be a bit preachy at times. The story is better than expected. I listened to the audio book read by Shannon McManus who does a terrible job. Her male voices and regional accents were horrible. I recommend reading the book rather than listening to it. ( )
  thornton37814 | Feb 11, 2018 |
The Undoing of Saint Silvanus by Beth Moore is this best-selling Christian author’s fiction debut. Jillian Slater comes to New Orleans for her estranged father’s funeral, meeting strange historic Saint Silvanus tenants, and Dad’s murderer! What Are You Wearing to Die? by Patricia Sprinkle is another southern mystery.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Dec 30, 2016 |

Jillian Slater hadn't seen her father or his mother in almost 20 years until, on the news that her father had finally drunk himself to death, Adella Atwater, the manager of her grandmother's apartment house, calls and says Jillian's expenses would be paid if she'd fly in to New Orleans for the burial. What Adella didn't tell her was that the apartment house bears the dead weight of a long and painful history. As an investigation into her father's death unfolds, Jillian is drawn into the lives of the colorful collection of saints and sinners who pass through Saint Silvanus. Is her family actually cursed, or is it just this crazy old house that holds them all under its spell?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,090,165 books! | Top bar: Always visible