The Iron Knight (de Russe Legacy) (Volume 3)…

The Iron Knight (de Russe Legacy) (Volume 3)

by Kathryn Le Veque

921,344,395 (4.83)None

The Iron Knight is the fourth book in the De Russe Legacy, but what is really nice about Kathryn Le Veque’s style of writing her series is that you don’t need to read the books in order of the series. She writes each book to be read as a stand alone if you want. This book was part of the Audible Romance Package and I really had a blast with this book and like usual its packed with so many unique elements that only Le Veque brings to the pages of her stories. What I really like about Le Veque is how well written her books are, they are so rich and detailed and such endearing characters.

The Iron Knight begins with Lucien De Russe, who is also known as the “Iron Knight” he has never been injured in a battle and goes into one with full speed. Lucien has lost his wife and tears through battles and wars hoping to lose himself from the pain and grief that has haunted him and has put a rift in the relationship between himself and his children. A grown son who won’t speak to him and a spoiled girl who he can’t control. But on one fateful day in 1410 A.D. he is injured and at forty he is to retire his battle armor. Now the king has decided to reward him with a young bride, one that Lucien has no desire to marry. While out on a ride he hears some screams and finds two women stuck in a carriage that is sinking in a lake with a battle between soldiers and bandits. Without thinking about it he rescues the two women and everyone flees instantly including the women’s escort.

Lady Sophina de Gournay has been living with her father ever since she became widowed and raising her daughter all by herself. But then her father, who has recently remarried wants his daughter out of his home, he is tired of her presence. And so he arranges a marriage for her and now Sophina will need to remarry once again. But on her way to her intended’s home, she and her daughter almost drown from an attack. And the men escorting her abandons her but there is one man who rescues Sophina and her daughter from drowning or worse.

Sophina and Lucien are drawn to each other, from a single ride back to Lucien’s home sparks fly between them and its an instant love connection for them. Both Lucien and Sophina are mature adults, they have both experiences love matches in their late marriages and they recognize the signs of how powerful their connection is. But there are some obstacles standing in their way including the fact that they are both betrothed to other people and are both people of honor. But Lucien has found love again and he isn’t the Iron Knight for nothing, he will find a way to have Sophina and her sweet daughter with him….

The Iron Knight was so wonderful to listen to and I first off want to give my shout out to the narrator: Brad Wills. I just love and adore this narrator so very much. Now I know that not everyone loves him like I do, but he has such diverse talent and the way he can add in multiple characters so flawlessly is something you don’t see from many narrators. And he did such a wonderful job with implementing the voices of all the characters that come into play with this story.

I will admit that before I started this book, I had some apprehension for it mostly because I knew that there would be some conflicts outside the couple, of a more “forbidden” type nature and I wasn’t sure if I was in the right frame of mind to read a book like this with this trope because I do need to be in the mood for it. However I can say that this book ROCKED!! I don’t know why I doubt Le Veque’s work because its amazing. I may not be a fan of her covers, but the books are amazing. This is where you ignore the covers and read the books because they are some of the most well written medieval romances out there. I know some readers that have hesitated in reading this author because of the cover designs and I am telling you TRY KATHRYN LE VEQUE out and you won’t be disappointed. Both her physical/ebooks and audiobooks are superb.

What I found most interesting was the family bonds in this book. We have the close tie between Sophina and Emmeline. They understand each other and have the type of mother daughter relationship that anyone could envy. Then we have the relationship that Lucien has with his daughter Susanna. Now Susanna was injured at birth and now struggles in walking. But she is very spoiled and mean and even abusive to the servants who are afraid of a little girl. But the hero is at a loss as to what he is doing wrong with her. But what was really amazing…is the moment that Sophina comes into play something changes with Susanna slowly. Then we have another set of women that you end up falling in love with as well. Lady Juno is Lucien’s intended who is accompanied by her father and her cousin Aricia. I just loved the parts that June and Aricia play in this story and the aspect of Aricia being a transgender character. This is not something I don’t think I have ever encountered in a historical romance before. And it was so interesting and I am so glad that Le Veque wrote this character in. I do love how gracious Lucien and Sophina are with Aricia and welcoming her and accepting her.

We do have some villains in the story, the main villain being Sophina’s fiancee who is a thief and a crook but has remained innocent of charges because he has family connections to the Queen. However, we see in this book how evil this man is and will work anything to his advantage but he gets his justful end that he deserves. I found it very interesting to see how the plot played out overall. There is such a focus on relationships in this book both romantic and platonic friendships. There is such depth of dynamics that come into play with this book. Now for the romance….the ROMANCE folks was simply fantastic here. I just love the building of their relationship. The laughter and teasing that comes into play at the beginning, and the emotion and intimacy that grows with each chapter.

I found The Iron Knight to be captivating and sweeps you back through time, with history and vibrant emotion and a tale that weaves its way through your soul and leaves you with a smile!! STUNNINGLY PENNED!! ( )
  addictofromance | Oct 27, 2018 |
Whenever I start a book penned by Kathryn Le Veque, whether as an audiobook or reading, I know I’m in for a good time. Her world of knights brings with it a wealth of events and figures of historical significance. As I finish the final paragraph of one of her books, whether in paper or audio, I feel enriched, sated, replete and awed. How can she make these characters and events so real, so touchable and potent? Her characters are always in dramatic living color; much like the woman herself. Kathryn Le Veque is one kick-ass writer!

This read is about second chances. She has made it personal by these very words in her dedication:
Dedicated to all of you who have had, or needed, a second chance in life. Even in the darkest hour, there is always hope. Take it from me.

Our hero and heroine are both old. He’s 40 while she’s 37. In medieval times that was old, but nowadays we consider this prime, even on the young side. Our chances of a second chance and even a third are very good these days!

Sophina, intelligent and beautiful, is caught between a rock and hard place. A place many women during this period in history find themselves. Her father, Lord Andover, a widow and remarried, does not want to continue taking care of his adult daughter and grand-daughter. He wants free reign with a new wife, hence his great need to unburden himself. St. Michael du Ponte was his choice, however, du Ponte was a man with his own agenda composed of greed.

Du Pointe has an unsavory reputation, unbeknownst to Sophina. She knew she wasn’t wanted at her father’s home. She prayed she wouldn’t be jumping from the frying pan into the fire with her betrothed. She also had her daughter Emmaline, sixteen years old, to consider.

Lucien had his own problems. He had been gifted with a marriage proposal he didn’t want from a woman who could have been his child, she was so young. He didn’t want to deal with it. He also had depression because a warrior who doesn’t fight battles is no longer a warrior and he, Lucien, The Iron Knight, had lost his identity. His oldest son won’t see or talk with him. His young 10-year-old daughter, crippled from birth, is a monster, manipulating the situation by screaming and demanding attention. As a father he failed, as a husband, he failed by not protecting his wife from death, and failed as a warrior since his skills were no longer needed.

But life can change and did, quite suddenly for Lucien. All it took was to feel needed again by saving two women from a watery death. To be seen as the hero he was, by a beautiful, highly desirable woman.

Lady Juno de Saix, the young heiress, chosen to marry Lucien, along with her cousin, Aricia, and Lady Juno’s father Earl of Holderness, all enrich the story, layering stories within the story. Each character carries their own secrets of shame.

Some scenes have slightly humorous events or situations which lighten the tone of the whole story. For example, Lady Sophina is betrothed to someone she doesn't know. Lucien is obliged to betroth a young woman because the king has requested it, but is interested in another. The young woman is in love with someone else. This spaghetti tangle of who wants whom is very comical and highly entertaining.

Secondary characters include Oswald, a ferret who stole the show!

Copy provided for review by author ( )
  Eileen.Dandashi | Aug 22, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,242,438 books! | Top bar: Always visible