The Nowhere Man: An Orphan X Novel (Orphan…

The Nowhere Man: An Orphan X Novel (Orphan X, 2) (edition 2017)

by Gregg Hurwitz (Author)

Series: Orphan X (2)

"Spoken about only in whispers, it is said that when the Nowhere Man is reached by the truly desperate, he can and will do anything to save them. Evan Smoak is the Nowhere Man. Taken from a group home at twelve, Evan was raised and trained as part of the Orphan program, an off-the-books operation designed to create deniable intelligence assets--i.e. assassins. Evan was Orphan X. He broke with the program, using everything he learned to disappear and reinvent himself as the Nowhere Man. But the new head of the Orphan program hasn't forgotten about him and is using all of his assets--including the remaining Orphans--to track down and eliminate Smoak. But this time, the attack comes from a different angle and Evan is caught unaware. Captured, drugged, and spirited off to a remote location, heavily guarded from all approaches. They think they have him trapped and helpless in a virtual cage but they don't know who they're dealing with--that they've trapped themselves inside that cage with one of the deadliest and most resourceful Orphans. Continuing his electrifying series featuring Evan Smoak, Gregg Hurwitz delivers a blistering, compelling new novel in the series launched with the breakout national bestseller, Orphan X"--… (more)
Member:Reddog999
Title:The Nowhere Man: An Orphan X Novel (Orphan X, 2)
Authors:Gregg Hurwitz (Author)
Info:St. Martin's Paperbacks (2017), Edition: Reprint, 432 pages

Work Information

The Nowhere Man by Gregg Hurwitz

English (36)  German (1)  All languages (37)
Wonderful storytelling. Don't try to read this without reading "Orphan X". ( )
  Sunandsand | Apr 30, 2022 |
A far-fetched story of a remnant of a covert US government programme carrying out deniable assassinations of undesirable individuals. Evan Smoak now uses his skills to rescue and protect the vulnerable of society. Much description in detail of sophisticated surveillance and computer kit as well as the weapons used by Evan and his opponents. Lee Child writes this type of story more entertaining. ( )
  edwardsgt | Apr 28, 2022 |
A really solid, gripping thriller that improves on the first book in the series. It's a flamboyant, highly entertaining read that takes the driven loner trope of the Jack Reacher novels and gives it a comic book flair that's reminiscent of James Bond. Smoak himself is a bit of a cipher, but the supporting cast (especially the fantastic Candy McClure) really bring the book to life. ( )
  whatmeworry | Apr 9, 2022 |
This was an exciting continuation to the Orphan X series. I enjoyed seeing Evan Smoak develop the tiniest bit more as he continues to operate in his "mission first and only" mindset that has been drilled into him. Evan is going about rescuing those in trouble as usual whenhe is kidnapped by some super-bad guys and held in a remote location. Naturally, he must figure out how to escape, which takes up most of the book.

What I found most interesting was the development of Jack coming back and Evan learning he was alive. It's the complex personal relationships about this series that really interest me, and the way that Evan both craves and avoids them. The anger and hurt there was very raw. I look forward to seeing this further developed in book three.

Please excuse typos./name misspellings. Entered on screen reader. ( )
  KatKinney | Mar 3, 2022 |
The Nowhere Man by Gregg Hurwitz
Orphan X #2

Orphans are throwaway people…right? Or, some people and societies believe…and as such, the Orphan X Project began. Our hero – Evan Smoak – came to life on the page as a result of the project but also due to his strength, tenacity, and skills. . I have followed this series higgledy-piggledy rather than straight through picking up the first two books in the series after reading the later books in the series and have to say…I loved them all and still have a few spaces to fill in but have loved evey book in its own right.

Each has merit on its own and is worthy of reading.

I am enjoying filling in the blanks as I can (overseas) and have now found out a bit more about Evan though this book wasn’t (perhaps) as informational than those I read previously.

So…as I do in most reviews: What I liked vs what I didn’t like…

What I liked:
* Evan Smoak: mystery man, lethal, mythical, almost indestructible, made me think of MacGyver a time or two, athletic, cold, methodical, not really cold, caring, cunning, has unfathomable potential.
* Ethan’s modus operandi and how it works
* The use of skills gained for one reason used for another (great use!)
* That I was and am still sucked into this whole series no matter what and will fill in the missing books still unread
* The hero-idea: by this I mean that Evan is able to achieve a LOT due to his training
* That some were saved by The Nowhere Man
* Kind of hoping that The Nowhere Man can eventually become a conglomerate to thwart evil in the world
* That though Mia and her son Peter (book one in the series) were mentioned they were not totally abandoned and am hoping that they might become integral to the series in the future – for whatever reason(s)
* The link to past Orphans…though they seem less “warm-relatable” than Evan
* Vodka tie-in…and that loft penthouse home…wouldn’t need it but…wouldn’t mind visiting it
* That there was a dead person suddenly undead and how that impacts Ethan
* Tie-in (perhaps) to vampire - lovers
* That good did eventually thwart evil…mostly
* Being able to fill in some of the gaps unread previously in the series and hoping to do so again in the future.
* Being able to see how the author moved from one scene to another when creating Evan’s timeline…even though I did not read it in sequence

What I didn’t like:
* Those that use and abuse….and seeing them do so in this book…
* Not being able to really tell you what I don’t like as it will ruin the book for you

Did I like this book: Yes!
Would I read more in this series? Definitely

Thank you to NetGalley and the author for the ARC – This is my honest review

4.5 Stars ( )
  CathyGeha | Feb 2, 2022 |

Gregg Hurwitzprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nekvedavicius, MirgaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For Keith Kahla an old-fashioned editor in all the best ways and a new-fashioned editor in all the essential ones.
One of the functions of anger is to convince people of the seriousness of your intentions, he said. To signal that you're out of control. Unpredictable. Willing to do damage. To evoke fear. So look at me. Look at me closely. And ask yourself: Do I look scared?
Someone smarter than either of us once said, If you want a quality, act like you already have it.
Someone who thinks he's the smartes guy in the room rarely is.
So far as I can tell, the only American growth industry is entitlement.
How you do anything is how you do everything.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 169,972,070 books! | Top bar: Always visible